2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
Priusaurus
By Priusaurus on 02/10/06 13:07 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a Ford Explorer for my Prius. This was one of the most intelligent, consumer moves I've ever made in my 49 years. I will buy another one as soon as I pay this one off. I live on a 1/2 mile, rugged, dirt road in Northern California and with a Prius, I realized, I no longer need 4-wheel drive or the high-rise SUV profile. The Prius handles the dirt and snow just fine. We have traveled for four hours with five people in the Prius and we all agreed, comfort was spectacular! The navigation system is an added bonus. I will never buy another car without it. We average 43 mpg around town, but have gotten up to 56 mpg on long trips to Mt. Shast and Lake Tahoe. Excellent car!

2-year review for '04 Prius
By Cool Hand Luke on 02/02/06 15:00 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After nearly 2 years of ownership, I've had lots of time to take notes. One test drive changed me. Not one problem so far. My average MPG is in the mid- 40's. Cold temps put a put a huge dent in MPG as motor runs to keep cab warm. Drving in cross winds is difficult as the car seems to get pushed all over the place. I experienced the green bar of light on the windshield as well from the speedometer, but only need to turn down the brightness of dashboard lights to eliminate it at night. The car is quite, peppy, very responsive to acceleration and turning. I can't say enough good things about it. Round trip to Maine (from MN)cost $185 at $3/gal! Resale value is incredible!

Great car
By gary on 01/25/06 21:40 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought used and love it so far.

Over 24,000 miles with lifetime avg...
By bubbles on 01/20/06 10:32 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Lifetime average (calculated by keeping detailed records) is just above 54mpg and has improved over the first year's use. Only change we've done is to use synthetic oil. We have not babied this vehicle and drive it on short errands as well as long trips, cold weather and hot.

Great car
By Charles Ware on 01/15/06 20:28 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Looking at the outside the car looks small but inside it is really roomy. Great fun to drive!

Learning to Slow Down
By Vindicator on 01/14/06 14:17 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car has never failed to please - except with the HVAC system and interface - which is clearly not up to the challenges of upstate NY in the winter. Stock tires leave a lot to be deired in traction and handling -get four snow tires from tirerack. Actual mileage has averaged out to 41.8 MPG. Trust me - your driving habits will change to accomodate the car. It appreciates speeds of =< 62 and is happiest with a commute lasting at least 20 minutes, particularly when the weather is colder than 40. It takes that long for the battery stack to come up to temp and effectively contribute to moving the car.

Like this car, but have had problems
By PennMom on 01/10/06 20:10 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was one of first in my area to purchase this model. For the first 18 months it was a great car, although the display needed to be replaced. Then it broke down on me (computer failure) at 18 months (15,000 miles). The computer was replaced, and immediately my MPG went down significantly. My 54 MPG highway went to 44 MPG highway for the same route (same seasonal temperature). My local MPG went from 41 to 35 MPG. Dealer thought the software recall/upgrade would help but it has not. Others seem to report this problem. Dealer has not offered any solutions. Aside from these problems, I have enjoyed this car, but I want my great MPG back!

2004 Prius
By Reola Melton on 01/02/06 23:14 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have really enjoyed driving this car. We have over 40000 miles on it in 2 yrs. The overall average miles per gal. ranges from 48 to 52 . The city miles are not 61 miles per gal. as advertised.

I love my Prius
By Noel Nesbitt on 12/28/05 19:51 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Since the first day I picked up my new car, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It handles well, it's comfortable, it is unique, it has pazazz and each time I fuel up I smile!

Best Car EVER!!!
By apl on 12/25/05 22:03 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned several cars and SUVs... gas mileage aside, this is the best car ever! It's fun to drive, stylish, the interior and controls are incredible, and the 50+ MPG means you basically own the car for free. I spend about $16 a week for gas (in NYC). With my Jeep, I was spending over $75. This car pays for itself. Everybody should drive one.