2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
04 Prius
By jvwright on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was surprised at the power the Prius had when I needed to pass someone on the highway. I made a number of passes on a curvy two lane highway with no problems. My gas mileage is around 47 mpg, which is good, but less than I expected. The new Prius is fun to drive and attracts a lot of people with questions about its performance.

2004 Toyota Prius -- Puget Sound area
By Price T. on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with 1,100 miles on it after 2 weeks (I took a trip last weekend up to Vancouver, BC). It has great handling qualities, is more "zippy" than you might expect, great interior and nice interior and -- did I mention the mpg? My last tank was 50.8 (calculated).

A Hybrid Worthy a Family Vehicle
By ACKnecht on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My husbnd and I have been talking about a hybrid vehicle for our family for awhile now. When the 2004 Prius was released my husband had a chance to test drive it. He was so excited about it! I went to test drive it that night. It's spacious enough for a family of 4 AND it achieves our goals of reducing our gasoline consumption and being friendly to the environment.

Fun, interesting, AND economical
By mhartley on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have to admit I expected a fuddy- duddy car that would get great gas mileage. I was completely wrong. The acceleration is very good. I would say it is as good as any 6 cylinder sedan. The most amazing part is the lack of a traditional transmission. There is no engine noise, no whine, and no feeling of shifting, so you don't have the verbal clues as to speed. The toys on the high end model are as good as any car made. The navigation system also has Bluetooth phone capabilities. Calls come in and display on the car screen. You anser with a button on the steering wheel that also mutes the stereo.

High tech sleek gas sipper
By Kevco on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Toyota Prius has the most seamless powerband I have ever had the opportunity to own. The second generation of Prius is the best yet! I have been averaging 51.5 mpg, with my first tank ! A little tip for getting better mpg... is to get up to speed and then let it go into electric mode. (for city driving under 40mph) I feel so lucky to own this Hybrid.

New but excited
By golfandjan on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have had it only one week, but love it so far. It handles very well and has plenty of power (although power is a relative thing, and it's always fun to have more). The gas mileage is great although I don't think it will ever be close to the 60 mpg in town that it's rated. We have it loaded, so the Navigation system, cell phone through the car system, controls on the steering wheel etc., are lots of fun, and work well. We haven't needed to use the vehicle skid control yet. I'm looking forward to owning a hybrid van.

The wave of the future!
By Linda_0201 on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is awesome!! I've only had it for about 2 days, but already I LOVE driving it! I purchased the BC package with the dvd system, smart entry, 6 cd changer, everything! Fully loaded. The ride is incredibly smooth! The car is so quite when you start up the engine, and when I was at a stop light, I almost thought that the car had cut off (it's THAT quiet!!). There is ample room in the front and rear seats. I can't wait to drive this car! I wake up in the morning excited and anticipating my drive to work! (haha..I wonder how long that will last??)

Couldn't be better!
By bs on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This vehicle has met, if not exceeded, all of my expectations. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those who commute daily and don't like spending so much money on gas. And it rides better than my previous car. It's roomy and has lots of storage space. It's an all-around great car!

The first no-compromises hybrid car
By scotto on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The new Prius brings hybrid cars into the mainstream. Power now feels comparable to many sedans and it gets up to 60 mpg! ItÂ’s also much larger and more refined than the old model. It has remarkable space inside, with generous rear seat legroom and lots of luggage room with the new hatchback and fold-down rear seats (very Saab-like). I got mine fully loaded with SatNav system, Bluetooth, side curtain airbags, Smart Entry (*very* cool), and much more. All this for about $26,000 (base price is about $20,000). In summary, this is simply a great midsize car that happens to also be the greenest car on the planet. There are clearly no compromises in this hybrid.

Excellent Choice
By ShadowRunner on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After the last gas price spike I knew my gas guzzeling days were numbered. When I saw this car being unloaded off the delivery truck I knew I had to have it and was estatic to see it was a Prius. It handles just as well as my 02 Camry - very smooth, nimble & quiet. I find myself watching the energy monitor a lot (perhaps I need to keep my eyes more on the road) but its facinating to watch the goings on in the car. Inside is very comfy. My tall husband has plenty of head room and its sure a head turner.