Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

2004 Prius
By Richard Campbell

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

All I need to say is test drive one, that is all it took for me. Luckly I ordered mine before the real hit took place, I only had to wait two months for delivery. We drove the car from Washington state to California and only stopped for gas once. It went through the Siskiyou mountain range as if it were flat, plenty of power and handled the curves with ease. The car gets an A+ from me!

We got the GPS system, fun to play with but not that necessary. The keyless entry and keyless start is probably the best idea to date.

The back seat headroom is not that good for a 6 foot tall person so have the tall people sit in front. Road noise is there so I just turn up the radio a bit. All in all it is a great car.

Prius - the only car to buy
By paccpa2830

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car handles the freeway, city and everything in between with ease - a great car.

Fuel mileage, ease of service.

Bigger tires

The best car I ever had.
By Patrik Fanning

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't own a Prius! I'm a big guy...and my previous vehicle was a Grand Cheerokee, the Prius has more leg room in the back set with the front seats pushed back than the Jeep. If I could get in and out easily then that was just one more plus. I drive in city traffic the most and my mileage is about 35mpg with start and stop traffic on the road I get up to 48mpg. In the past I haven't been a crusader on gas and emission issues, I am now and proud. The price rocks too. It's excellent...age is 52.

The smooth ride, quietness and feeling of security. It has a very small turning range and that's good.

Option to turn off the running lights and/or a light sentinal sensor as a purchase option.

We love our HIS AND HER TOY
By Kay Aprill

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My husband and I both own a 2004 toyota prius. HIS TOY AND HER TOY both get top ratings from us. We love being GREEN and we love the quiet ride. We both are on the road daily and he is getting 54 miles and I am getting around 50. The secret is to go 55 on highway and drive like a grandma in town!

SYNERGY

More sporty look but like the aerodynamic look too.

Not for highway cruising
By road warrior

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Prius is an excellent choice if you do mostly city driving. It averages 46 miles per gallon. The car is surprisingly spacious and controls are convenient and easy to use. Build quality is high. However, the car is not a good highway cruiser. At speeds over 60 miles per hour especially in windy and wet conditions, the car has a very unsteady feel. The power is ok but the handling felt very "slippery" and thats on pavement that was merely wet.

Climate control, smart entry system, convenient steering column controls

Something needs to be done to improve this cars handling at highway speeds.Driver seat comfort could be improved. Its fine for short trips but once in the car for an hour or so....ouch