2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
Excellent Quality and Performance
By Brigi on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is well worth the purchase price. It is very complex and extremely well built, fun to drive and has a lot of power. All of the seats are comfortable and have ample leg room, even in the back which is unusal even for a larger car. So far our gas mileage does not quite meet the Federal guide lines we are still getting 50-52 MPG in the city but we are well pleased with that. If comparable priced cars are selling for $20,000, the Prius should sell for $25,000 (Don't mention that to Toyota, we would have paid $5,000 more) We are well pleased with our purchase and Toyota and the dealer.

A Wonderful Ride
By drpills on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The first thing that struck me about this car was how quiet it is. Compared to my Avalon, Camry, and Honda Odyssey, this car is nearly silent at street speeds, even with the engine running. The Smart Entry and Start feature is very handy, and almost spoils the Prius driver (where's that feature for my house?). The cabin is laid out logically and the speedo display is placed better than the earlier generation Prius. It's no race car, but performance is credible, and fuel economy is incredible - about 45-47 in my real world experience. Handling is actually pretty good, a lot better than my 97 Avalon.

Oh, what a feeling
By AlnVilma on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Toyota quality comes shining through in fit, finish and function. Everything seems so well thought out. If you are not afraid to be a little different, this car won't disappoint you. After a few miles, everything feels pretty natural. For me, it makes driving fun again w/o the need for raw performance or volume (noise). All the gadgets, "greenness" and fantastic mileage are frosting on the cake.

Toyota prius 2004
By palsal301 on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've only had it for 3 weeks, but know it's the mjost fun to drive of any car I've had.

Car of the Future
By Montreux on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The '04 Prius is revolutionary because it's mainly electric with gas assist only when needed. As if the great mileage weren't enough, the multi- display touch screen actually teaches the owner how to drive even more efficiently. Hybrid electric "stealth" mode allows quiet driving in town and in traffic jams with almost no emissions. There's lots of power on the highway with very little wind resistance or wind noise. And the liftback design is both practical and sharp-looking.

2004 toyota prius
By kj jurgen on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This vehicle is fun to drive. It is smooth and quiet. The car is just about perfect for everyday driving. The dashboard layout is superb. The car comes standard with almost all the necessities. It offers a different driving experience than its competitors. Easy to drive and great turning radius. Lots of interior space. The hatch style increases cargo room. Plus federal govt and state govt incentives. Reliablity so far seems to be good however I did notice a rattle come and go in the dashboard. Amazing technology for the price.

Smart car, Smart choice
By Lexdex on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

What the Prius lacks in style it more than makes up for in substance. It offers remarkable fuel economy. The annual fuel cost for a Prius is less than a monthly fuel expeness of other vehicles. Another BIG bonus (especially for Southern California drivers) is being able to drive in the carpool lane without needing to have any passangers on board with you. An options package also includes an in dash AM/FM cassette/6 CD changer,with 9 speaker sound system and voice activated DVD navigation system among others, all for under $26,000. The Prius offers the driver to save both time and money. Not many cars on the market today can do that.

Hybrid Fun
By B. Olive Young on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This vehicle is very spunky, lots of fun to drive, lots of get up and go. Lots of leg room for my grown children, who are very tall. All my neighbours are very envious, and interested in the new style with all the special features in the dashboard. I love passing all the gas stations and laughing.

NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FROM TOYOTA
By JOHN SMITH21 on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

WHEN I COMPARE THE HONDA VS THE TOYOTA THE CIVIC WAS A BETTER BUY FOR THE PRICE

Incredible Car
By Bill Gailey on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After test driving the Prius, I realized that this was the car that I wanted. It's fun and inexpensive to drive. We drove it to Richmond from Charlotte and got 50+ miles/gallon and it handled beautifully. I have only owned it for three (3) weeks, but have found nothing about it that I don't like. Even my wife, who is has back problems, finds it comfortable. I hope Toyota or Lexus will put this engine into one of their SUV's soon. Thank you.