2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
duhyme
By duhyme on 12/31/06 13:43 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Outstanding vehicle. Comfort of a larger class sedan, fuel ecomony better than a sub-compact. I've had this vehicle for over two years, have driven it all over the United Kingdom and Colorado. I am very happy with its performance. Average fuel economy is about 45-50 mpg, nowhere near the advertised 65 mpg, but still very respectable.

2004 Toyota Prius
By four door std hatchb on 11/13/06 19:02 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great ride, great mileage, great handling. Slightly cramped space for me in passenger seat. Poor visibility to the rear for driver. Plan to buy an 07 for myself and give the 04 to my fiance.

My Second Prius
By 4 Dr STD Hatchback on 10/28/06 12:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first Prius was the 2002 compact model. When I saw the larger 2004 model, I traded. I've driven it on long trips over mountains and averaged 51.7 mpg with a mixture of 70 mph Interstates and 45 to 55 mph 2-lane roads in the Mountains of KY, WV and VA. It has lots of room and is most comfortable and fun to drive.

You Won't Believe My Prius
By Gerard Chapin on 10/14/06 08:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Do you live in New Jersey? Well I do. Do you know it's the most densely populated state? Well, I do. There are cars everywhere because we lack the mass transportation network needed and we want the freedom of the automobile offers us. Therefore there are frequent traffic jams. When I'm driving my 2004 Toyota Prius I get better mileage when the speeds are slower. So at least if I'm not saving time I'm at least saving money. The Prius has suprising pickup for highway merging since both the elctical system and the combustion system kick in. Air conditioning runs on the battery which in turn is charged by driving and braking. Mileage has been consistently at 50 mpg in the warm weather. Prius

Still in love three years later
By Bob on 10/02/06 19:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my Prius, the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink version, in late October 2003. It now has 50K miles on it and has been absolutely flawless; the only time it's been in the shop is for routine service every 5K miles, and for the rare-but-proactive service bulletins that are inevitable with a car this technologically sophisticated. Again, I've never had so much as a hiccup in the three years of ownership, and Toyota clearly takes pride in its build quality. I drive a lot of urban freeways and surface streets with lots of stops, and have averaged 47mpg over the life of the car (with a semi-lead foot). There is no doubt in my mind the next car I get will be another Prius.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Reds on 09/22/06 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned many cars in my lifetime from Chevrolet to Jaguar. The Toyota Prius is the best car I have ever owned. With over 55,000 miles it has performed flawlessly with absolutely no probloms. We recently drove it from the East Coast to Lyons Colorado. We averaged 53 mpg at 70 miles per hour with the A/C on. I recently purchased another new one for my wife. Both cars rate a 10 in all categories.

Energizer Bunny
By P Holloway on 09/08/06 07:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Prius with 7,000 miles on it (original owner left country). It has performed exceptionally well except for the electronic issues that were repaired by removing and replacing the computer screen (Toyota covered it). Only other issue is Tires. The vehicle is heavier than most and you need to ensure that you purchase tires recommended by the owners guide to ensure that you do not risk the tire "rolling" onto the sidewall in a higher speed turn or situation where you must "dodge" an obstacle at higher speeds.

One Terrific Car
By stan cohen on 08/26/06 05:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Prius is really fun to drive even though it is not greatly overpowered. The power steering & brakes are are quite sensitive because they are electric. The car is easy to park & handle, holds the road well & the HID headlights are really appreciated. Although there are no power seats, I am sitting higher than other cars so as to make my lower back more comfortable. However, I have convinced no one to buy the car even with the great MPG I get.

Our 2004 Prius after 35K Miles
By pjongbloed on 08/24/06 12:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Aside from the great fuel economy my wife and I really like our 2004 Salsa Red Prius. As we have learned to take advantage of the hybrid technology the average mileage has climbed from 45mpg to about 50 now with a lifetime average of about 48. It really does get 51mpg at 65mph on the freeway. The surround sound audio system is great. We got the 6-CD player system. My wife changed her cell phone to one with built in Blue Tooth technology so it could work with the Prius' built in system. Our family is tall. I'm 6'2. My wife is 6'. And our 4 boys range from 6'3 to 6'5. All can sit in the back seat and have plenty of knee room with the front seats in normal position.

No 60 mpg; has some bugs, but good car
By eyeonthescreen on 08/16/06 08:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Our Prius averages 44 mpg, not the 51-60 EPA mpg in the ads. It has been in the shop three times now on recalls. The GPS-controls and display software needs some upgrades to be competitive with other makes. BUT, despite these short comings, my next new car will likely be a Prius. It is a work horse, I can pile more stuff in it than in my Avalon, which is a much bigger car on the outside. Interior head and leg room is also better than my Avalon. Prius style is true 21st century; not some makeover of a 20th century design. It has great voice interaction capability and blue tooth connectivity. And despite being hard to navigate around, the GPS does an excellent tracking job.