Used 2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

My beloved Prius
By Beloved

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I LOVE MY PRIUS. Boy do I love her. Best decision I ever made for a car couple years ago. To emulate Charlton Heston, "You will only get my Prius out of my cold dead hands." She just turned 115,000 miles and the only things I've changed to date is the oil and I think they change the air filter as part of the regular service, but I'm not sure. Oh! and they rotated the tires. Everything else, and I mean everything, including the original brakes, (which must be different from normal brakes) is still on the car. My 4x4 Previa is a champ, and I thought my Previa was the best made vehicle on the plantet. The Prius is giving me reason to reconsider that conclusion. If you don't have one, buy one.

Favorite Features

Gadgetry, steering wheel, dash, glove boxes, numerous storage bins, push button start, green house view, spaciousness, trunk size, seats, roomy, comfort, electric powered a/c, mileage, nose, head lights. Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Less leaning when going around sharp corners. Battery only, like the 01 & 02 RAV4 EV. Besides that, it's almost perfect!

Long-term owner
By Sean

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After four years, I have a balanced view. Excellent & practical car with gas economy ranging from 37 mpg to 49 mpg in hot, flat Florida. It's relaxing to drive but no speed demon. It's about 95% an ideal car.

Favorite Features

Quietness, smoothness of CVT, HEPA air filter, good mpg, car pool privileges, surprising spaciousness, reliability, resale value

Suggested Improvements

Limited rear view (camera should be standard), skidding front wheels when wet, add seat height adjustment, road noise, improve rough road suspension, glare on display, easily damaged glovebox coating, improve performance, add 110V outlet, improve exterior style.

Ten years ahead of the competition. Prius
By SunPoweredPrius

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the most technologically advanced car mass produced today. We love our car. We average anywhere from 45 to 80 miles per gallon depending on how we drive the car. Very reliable, means we've never had a problem with our car. I give this car the highest rating but I'm still waiting for Toyota, to release the Prius that gets 100 miles per gallon. I want more miles per gallon Toyota. When?

Favorite Features

Love the Smart Key means I never touch the key. I just open the door as if it were unlocked and push a "Power" button on the dash to start the car. I call my car a computer on wheels. Though I would like the car to come with anti gravity technology to allow me to fly it around. that would be nice!

Suggested Improvements

I want more MPG and I want a choice to plug it in with at least a ten mile all electric range. I also want solar panels on the roof of the Prius as on option, though it should be standard. I also want the choice of running CNG, Compressed natural gas. NG only cost 1.00 per gallon from our homes!

Best design I've ever seen
By cenoyes

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Raced sports cars in my younger years, and am an engineer by education, cannot find enough superlatives to cover the design work that went into this machine.

Favorite Features

The Synergy Drive

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the split rear window view without the use of a camera. Offer side mouldings as an option.

At 100,000 miles, it's still awesome!!!
By 2Bizarre

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Prius just turned 100,000 miles. With little over four years of ownership, the only thing I had to do periodically was change the oil and replace a few air filters. All mechanical systems have held up - I still have the original brake pads, muffler, and everything else. My Prius has been extremely cheap to keep and I highly recommend it as a primary family car. As far as tires go, I'm still on the second set!!

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, the toggle shifter, and the far forward in-dash display

Suggested Improvements

The light tan interior is hard to keep clean - this was all that was available in 2004, hopefully, Toyota has changed this for newer models.