2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
Car Of The Future Today
By railroadjames on 04/11/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm an old pro with my '04 Prius and think it worth mentioning that, with 4 plus yrs under my belt, I can best serve others by telling an experienced well learned opinion of this phenomenal hybrid car. Mileage is excellent ranging from a low of 42-44 wintertime and 47-53 summers. Flexibility with fold-down seats is a blessing. Roominess front & back. Very good quality & dependability. Toyota has achieved a mark of excellence that I never b/4 have seen. I literally am amazed by the tranny, brakes that seem to last forever. Overall look of the Prius: beautiful (must be or Toyota would have revamped it by '08 and yet it still looks the same as my '04.)

Love my Prius
By kpd651 on 04/10/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Economical, practical, fun and, of course, reliable. Mine is the 2004 and the first of the second generation Prius. Had one computer recall and a tail-light issue done as a compliment of the Toyota dealership. I did not have any problem with either recall notice. In my opinion, this Prius is excellent, except, for two areas. It needs more seat support. It could use more thigh and lumbar adjustment(s). The one other area would be a light shield or visor type design over the center monitor.

I'm happy with this car
By greatest car ever on 03/18/08 13:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Prius had been owned by the city of Chattanooga. It had minor damage to the front. I bought it with @12k. on it. I love the car and for me to say that is a real tribute to both the build quality, comfort and economy. I get pretty consistently @44 mpg around town and the highest I have ever gotten is 51. The car would be better served, however, with other radio options. Can't adapt an off the shelf radio because the radio in the car is integral to the function of the display. With gas prices approaching $3.50 this car is wise choice and I am doing something for the environment that I respect.

Great Car
By Ron O on 11/15/07 16:10 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Enjoy driving it, and it is comfortable. AZ freeway speeds are 75 MPH. Car has no problems keeping up with the traffic (I seldom go over 80, but have reached 90 and above, with no problems). I average between 40 and 45 MPG.

Prius w/over 48,000 miles
By ronnie873 on 09/23/07 21:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a pre-owned Prius. It now has over 48,000 miles. My primary complaint is the exterior door material. If you barely hit the door, it leaves a mark or a ding (my car is white). Also, the interior is extremely difficult to keep clean. The armrests are very worn. The fabric seems cheap. Other than that, the car is great. I always average over 50 MPG. I routinely drive the car on the highway at speeds greater than 70 MPH and I still get great gas mileage. I traded in my Jeep (14 MPG) for the Prius and I'm so glad I did. The car is quiet, smooth and a joy to drive.

Love my 2004 Pirus
By Bcordon on 08/26/07 06:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2004 Prius is the best car I have ever owned. I have save so much money on gas it's ridiculous. The car handles pretty good untill you lose a bit of traction. However I wouldn't have any other car.

Perfect Car
By Wayne Brown on 06/28/07 16:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have over 148,000 miles now and haven't had a single problem with the car except the MFD which was covered under warranty. The front brakes pads look extremely healthy still although the back brake shoes will likely need replacement within the next 30,000 miles. Easily, very easily, the best car I have ever owned; I have never been happier with any car and I have had more than 20 in my 40 years of driving!

Love It
By jor on 05/24/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Can't understand people complaining about mileage, I've NEVER gotten under 48 mpg and average 52-60! Roomy, even rear seat is comfortable. It's not as comfortable as my Lexus, but then there's a big difference in $$$. No complaints at all about handling: solid, takes hills well, very peppy, have to watch speed on interstate or I'll be doing 80 without realizing it. I laugh all the way to the gas pump these days!

Awesome
By HECTOR GARCES on 04/23/07 23:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I really love our 2004 Prius. Toyota Prius is the best car I have ever owned, air conditioning runs on the battery which in turn is charged by driving and braking. Mileage has been consistent at 50 mpg. Plenty of room and storage. Excellent quality. Excellent handling. The quality of these cars is impressive by itself, but the clean emissions make it outstanding. Great car! Highly recommended. Nothing bad to say. Good performance, lots of torque going up hills

Love my Prius
By schatziq on 12/31/06 20:28 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is more powerful than you might think. I got two speeding tickets my first couple of months owning this car because you can be going 90 miles an hour and it is as quiet and stable as when you are going 35. Great visibility in it- no blind spots and the interior is very functional. Love my Prius!!