Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

117000 miles on my Prius
By Barry

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have an 04 Prius with 117000 miles on it. In the earlier years I had all the problems with the car stalling or not wanting to keep going, but Toyota finally resolved those issues with software upgrades and recalls. For the past 3 years I've had no problems. At 112000 miles I needed a new water pump, but otherwise I've had no mechanical issues. The battery is fine. I drive exclusively on local roads, 40 miles each way to work, and get 48 mpg during the winter (New Hampshire winters are brutal) and am now getting 57 mpg in the Springtime. The car gets significantly less gas mileage if I only use it for short hops (5-10 miles) or if I drive on the highway.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The AM radio stinks.

Best Car I've had in 73 years
By Jim & Danae Michael

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car to be green, save on gas and replace the gas guzzling Buicks we had. We had a friend who had a 2001 and let us drive it. We were sold. Our 2004 Prius is the best car we have ever owned. The only thing that went wrong was the fairly expensive starter battery which was replaced by the dealer for $212. Not bad for a four-year automotive parts and repair bill!

Favorite Features

The radio is great! Heater and A/C work excellently. The folding back seats are wonderful. This car is well-built and engineered. It has a strong feeling of solidarity and is fairly quiet on the freeway. Smart Entry and Ignition are indispensable

Suggested Improvements

The only thing we would wish for is a dash display emblem that would tell us when the Parking Lights are on and an indicator showing how well-charged the starter battery is or if if needs replacing.

Love my Penguin Prius in snow !
By ed

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a used Prius w/ 116,000 miles on it + got a pretty good deal. Took it to work all w/e in heavy 2-day Boston blizzard as I am a nurse + can't call in sick or take snow days. It was surprisingly great in the snow + exceeded all expectations. It is no snowplow but got me through it. The car is a wonder of technology + if @ 1st a little overwhelming it grows on you quick!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is awesome, very quiet & efficient, the MFD is cool + you can turn it off when you get sick of it.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really; the dash is a bit dark @ nite. The shifter is very different but I'm getting used to. Battery is supposed to last forever, I hope so !

PRIUS -- THE ONLY HYBRID
By daveb

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have logged 140K miles in five years, averaging 45+ mpg. The greatest feature of the car is its rock solid reliability - it still has the original brakes. I like the car so much I just purchased a new 2009. This car may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it fits my lifestyle - plenty of room for my family of 4 and the hatchback makes it useful for those occasional runs to Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a well engineered vehicle that has retained it rock solid feel over the many miles that it has traveled.

Favorite Features

Smart Key. It's a real pain to drive anything else that requires me to fish a key out of my pocket. The video display of mileage over the past five minutes and currently is thoughtful and tends to temper your driving habits to achieve maximum mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The new 2009 includes some of the features lacking in 2004, such as leather seats, but would still like to have heated seats and telescoping steering wheel. These two features would put the car on par with my wife's RX hybrid.

The Future Today In A Prius!
By Jim Cullen

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I get giddy when people ask about this amazing hybrid car. It simply delivers like no other car. It does all you ask of it and leaves you with smiles & pride in your selection of a new car. Now with 95K miles after over 5 yrs it stands all the tests that other cars cannot. Now, with only a replacement of an hd lt bulb, I look back and realize what dependability is all about. I've saved over $10,000 in gas compared to my SUV I once had. What's even better is that my car looks just like an '09 Prius. This is the car of the future today.

Favorite Features

Obviously getting as much as 546 miles to a tank of gas (usually 48-52 mpgs). Great styling. Good sound system and a great conversation piece.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof would be nice. Light towing capability and more support in seats