Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Best Car I've had in 73 years
By Jim & Danae Michael

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car to be green, save on gas and replace the gas guzzling Buicks we had. We had a friend who had a 2001 and let us drive it. We were sold. Our 2004 Prius is the best car we have ever owned. The only thing that went wrong was the fairly expensive starter battery which was replaced by the dealer for $212. Not bad for a four-year automotive parts and repair bill!

Favorite Features

The radio is great! Heater and A/C work excellently. The folding back seats are wonderful. This car is well-built and engineered. It has a strong feeling of solidarity and is fairly quiet on the freeway. Smart Entry and Ignition are indispensable

Suggested Improvements

The only thing we would wish for is a dash display emblem that would tell us when the Parking Lights are on and an indicator showing how well-charged the starter battery is or if if needs replacing.

Domino's Prius Update!
By alexx52093

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wrote a review about my Dominos' store's Prius'! Updating it! We now have 3 Prius's! Two '04's and an '05! The one I wrote about before is an '04 which now has 220k mi on it and still no problems! It never breaks down or gives up! And it gets driven HARD by many different drivers! The battery still holds charge pretty well, not quite as well as our other Prius's but still returns over 50mpg if driven frugally. Our other 04' Prius has 160k mi and runs great! Same with our '05 that has 120k mi! These vehicles are workhorses! You want a reliable, affordable commuter or work car! This is the one! If it can deliver pizzas, it can do anything!

Domino's Prius
By alexx52093

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I work for my local Domino's Pizza store. It's one of the bigger stores in my area, covering a HUGE area for delivery. My boss has two Prius's as company cars that us drivers get to drive (as well as other vehicles as well). The main Prius we use has been at this store for 3 years now. It's an 04 and was bought with 90K miles on it. It is used all day long every from opening to closing of the store. It now has 186K miles after 3 years of service. There has no been one single problem with it! It is always taken to the dealership for regular maintenance when it is needed. We drivers average about 44-48 MPG when we can. During dinner rush's we can pull around 38 MPG! These things are troopers!

A car with life time gas coupon 50% off
By Allen

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought @104K for $8K, like new condition. Not a comfortable car like my 98' Lexus LS400, but I understand the compromise in order to achieve optimal MPG: stiff suspension, low roll resistance tire. My goal is to save money with 50+ MPG for 130 mile daily commute. I can't justify buying a new one for 3.5X price to save ONLY $1800/year on gas at $3/gallon. Performance better than I expected. Technology is truly impressive I am confident to drive it for another 5 years to 300K miles, if the battery OK. Heard many Prius at 200K miles, battery still fine.

Favorite Features

50 MPG in winter, Very nice storage room design, Smart Key, Energy consumption Screen, Controls on steering wheel, Great interior space, Futuristic exterior design, Lay flat back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat could be more comfortable, steering wheel too cheap plastic, Engine should auto start to charge accessory battery. I once drained it in one hour with fan at lo, and had to jump start.

117000 miles on my Prius
By Barry

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have an 04 Prius with 117000 miles on it. In the earlier years I had all the problems with the car stalling or not wanting to keep going, but Toyota finally resolved those issues with software upgrades and recalls. For the past 3 years I've had no problems. At 112000 miles I needed a new water pump, but otherwise I've had no mechanical issues. The battery is fine. I drive exclusively on local roads, 40 miles each way to work, and get 48 mpg during the winter (New Hampshire winters are brutal) and am now getting 57 mpg in the Springtime. The car gets significantly less gas mileage if I only use it for short hops (5-10 miles) or if I drive on the highway.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The AM radio stinks.