2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
A Great Vehicle
By Mark on 11/29/08 14:37 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just crossed 130K with my Prius and it will be five years old next month. I had done nothing but buy tires and change oil for first 100K. Then I had a rear wheel bearing and now a recent inverter fluid pump. No big deal for 130K. I almost always average over 50 MPG, for life of vehicle probably 51. 53/54 in spring and fall and 50 in winter. I've had maybe 10 tanks less than 50 almost all in the winter and they were usually 48-49. I am not an aggressive driver and I keep it under 70. I commute 30 miles each way each day with about 16 miles on the highway avg about 67. I can beat cruise control on the Prius on long trips by using the hills to my advantage. Over 70 big loss of MPG.

112k miles
By Cris M. on 11/23/08 12:47 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is still running strong after 112 thousand miles. I've driven it across country, to high altitudes, across tough terrain. Other than basic maintenance and one small recall (and a bit of rear end work after an encounter with a sleepy driver), the only thing we needed to have done was an adjustment to the fuel gauge, which read empty prematurely. I love this car, and plan to order another one within the year!

Good, not great
By M.B. on 08/13/08 16:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is overall well-built. I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. For around $30,000, this car does no better in fuel efficiency than my old 1995 Honda Civic VX hatchback. I once got 65 MPG on a trip in my Honda. The Prius, with all its technology and synergy drive, can't beat the fuel efficiency of a 13 year-old, non-hybrid, 5-passenger hatchback. Above that, the battery packs on this might soon run out. I'm thinking I'll sell this and look for my old Honda.

60,000 miles and going strong
By Mike S. on 06/24/08 21:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car is a technological marvel in a very practical package. Bought new, it's been very reliable for 60,000 miles. It's no sports car, but is faster than it seems because the CVT is so smooth that your speed builds without your noticing it. Lifetime avg. 49.9 mpg driving smoothly, 53 mpg at steady 65, with or without the AC running. Not quite so comfortable or quiet as our old Camry, but still very good. Build quality is very impressive. No problems to date. Definitely the best car I've ever owned. Love the hatchback layout. There's lots of room, but the rear seat is too narrow for three across unless one is a child.

A fun ride!
By Steve on 06/10/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle in the Spring of this year and it is the best vehicle purchase we have ever made. The car gets fantastic gas mileage, fits 4 easily (5 in a pinch), and really has a devoted fan club following. I am 6' 3" tall and I fit in the front and back seats without any problems. I thought we might find the car lacking in power, but even in that area I was pleasantly surprised. All in all this car is a wonderfully driving and exceptionally good value given how well it holds its resale value and the great gas mileage. I find myself trying to squeeze every MPG I can out of the tank. Truthfully you will love this car and will wonder why you waited so long to get one!

My beloved Prius
By Beloved on 06/09/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I LOVE MY PRIUS. Boy do I love her. Best decision I ever made for a car couple years ago. To emulate Charlton Heston, "You will only get my Prius out of my cold dead hands." She just turned 115,000 miles and the only things I've changed to date is the oil and I think they change the air filter as part of the regular service, but I'm not sure. Oh! and they rotated the tires. Everything else, and I mean everything, including the original brakes, (which must be different from normal brakes) is still on the car. My 4x4 Previa is a champ, and I thought my Previa was the best made vehicle on the plantet. The Prius is giving me reason to reconsider that conclusion. If you don't have one, buy one.

Long-term owner
By Sean on 05/30/08 01:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After four years, I have a balanced view. Excellent & practical car with gas economy ranging from 37 mpg to 49 mpg in hot, flat Florida. It's relaxing to drive but no speed demon. It's about 95% an ideal car.

Ten years ahead of the competition. Prius
By SunPoweredPrius on 05/18/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the most technologically advanced car mass produced today. We love our car. We average anywhere from 45 to 80 miles per gallon depending on how we drive the car. Very reliable, means we've never had a problem with our car. I give this car the highest rating but I'm still waiting for Toyota, to release the Prius that gets 100 miles per gallon. I want more miles per gallon Toyota. When?

Best design I've ever seen
By cenoyes on 05/08/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Raced sports cars in my younger years, and am an engineer by education, cannot find enough superlatives to cover the design work that went into this machine.

At 100,000 miles, it's still awesome!!!
By 2Bizarre on 04/27/08 06:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Prius just turned 100,000 miles. With little over four years of ownership, the only thing I had to do periodically was change the oil and replace a few air filters. All mechanical systems have held up - I still have the original brake pads, muffler, and everything else. My Prius has been extremely cheap to keep and I highly recommend it as a primary family car. As far as tires go, I'm still on the second set!!