Used 2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

Domino's Prius Update!
By alexx52093

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wrote a review about my Dominos' store's Prius'! Updating it! We now have 3 Prius's! Two '04's and an '05! The one I wrote about before is an '04 which now has 220k mi on it and still no problems! It never breaks down or gives up! And it gets driven HARD by many different drivers! The battery still holds charge pretty well, not quite as well as our other Prius's but still returns over 50mpg if driven frugally. Our other 04' Prius has 160k mi and runs great! Same with our '05 that has 120k mi! These vehicles are workhorses! You want a reliable, affordable commuter or work car! This is the one! If it can deliver pizzas, it can do anything!

Domino's Prius
By alexx52093

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I work for my local Domino's Pizza store. It's one of the bigger stores in my area, covering a HUGE area for delivery. My boss has two Prius's as company cars that us drivers get to drive (as well as other vehicles as well). The main Prius we use has been at this store for 3 years now. It's an 04 and was bought with 90K miles on it. It is used all day long every from opening to closing of the store. It now has 186K miles after 3 years of service. There has no been one single problem with it! It is always taken to the dealership for regular maintenance when it is needed. We drivers average about 44-48 MPG when we can. During dinner rush's we can pull around 38 MPG! These things are troopers!

A car with life time gas coupon 50% off
By Allen

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought @104K for $8K, like new condition. Not a comfortable car like my 98' Lexus LS400, but I understand the compromise in order to achieve optimal MPG: stiff suspension, low roll resistance tire. My goal is to save money with 50+ MPG for 130 mile daily commute. I can't justify buying a new one for 3.5X price to save ONLY $1800/year on gas at $3/gallon. Performance better than I expected. Technology is truly impressive I am confident to drive it for another 5 years to 300K miles, if the battery OK. Heard many Prius at 200K miles, battery still fine.

Favorite Features

50 MPG in winter, Very nice storage room design, Smart Key, Energy consumption Screen, Controls on steering wheel, Great interior space, Futuristic exterior design, Lay flat back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat could be more comfortable, steering wheel too cheap plastic, Engine should auto start to charge accessory battery. I once drained it in one hour with fan at lo, and had to jump start.

Fun car, looking forward to PHEV or EV
By yohan

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After more than six months, the only problem I've had with my 2004 Prius is a dead battery. I've averaged about 52 mpg when I wasn't deliberately driving economically. As a former leadfoot Corvette owner, it took me a while to learn to get 70 mpg or even 99+ mpg, but I did accomplish this using techniques I read in the manual and online. With a car full of husky adults, patience is required for economical acceleration and hill-climbing. The typical American driver will push the pedal for more power, but the electric will kick in and save on gas. I recommend cruise control and some patience to get 50-60 mpg on that long hilly highway trip.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the ride, especially when the engine is off and I'm rolling along silently on electric. Several times I've been cruising downhill at 70+ mph and neither electric or gas are running. Honestly, the styling makes a statement, and I enjoy showing people the technology.

Suggested Improvements

A four-fold increase in the battery power would be my first choice upgrade, but at $13,500, I could buy another car! I would also like to see a light two-seat Plug-In Electric Hybrid Prius version, with a 4KW+ battery instead of 1.5KW, and a very small 1L twincam 4... would likely get 120-200+mpg

Bad!
By Jessie D

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I owned this car for three and a half years, used about 60,000 miles and it was awesome until it rained, snowed or was windy at all. I felt completely unsafe, and scared during any storm or driving on snow. The seats were decently sized, but hard as rocks. The gas mileage was the reason I bought it, and that stayed true to what was said about how great it was. I ended up buying a Honda SUV because this car scared me so much to drive even on a sunny day with lots of wind. I now feel so much safer, and would never purchase another small Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Touch screen, storage room, trunk size, looks from the outside, "futuristic" effects of the design.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of power, bad in wind, rain or snow, unsafe during weather, seats are hard, many shops did not know how to get the "maint. needed" sign to turn off after getting an oil change.