2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
Domino's Prius Update!
By alexx52093 on 04/30/14 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wrote a review about my Dominos' store's Prius'! Updating it! We now have 3 Prius's! Two '04's and an '05! The one I wrote about before is an '04 which now has 220k mi on it and still no problems! It never breaks down or gives up! And it gets driven HARD by many different drivers! The battery still holds charge pretty well, not quite as well as our other Prius's but still returns over 50mpg if driven frugally. Our other 04' Prius has 160k mi and runs great! Same with our '05 that has 120k mi! These vehicles are workhorses! You want a reliable, affordable commuter or work car! This is the one! If it can deliver pizzas, it can do anything!

Domino's Prius
By alexx52093 on 03/04/13 13:04 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I work for my local Domino's Pizza store. It's one of the bigger stores in my area, covering a HUGE area for delivery. My boss has two Prius's as company cars that us drivers get to drive (as well as other vehicles as well). The main Prius we use has been at this store for 3 years now. It's an 04 and was bought with 90K miles on it. It is used all day long every from opening to closing of the store. It now has 186K miles after 3 years of service. There has no been one single problem with it! It is always taken to the dealership for regular maintenance when it is needed. We drivers average about 44-48 MPG when we can. During dinner rush's we can pull around 38 MPG! These things are troopers!

A car with life time gas coupon 50% off
By Allen on 03/28/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought @104K for $8K, like new condition. Not a comfortable car like my 98' Lexus LS400, but I understand the compromise in order to achieve optimal MPG: stiff suspension, low roll resistance tire. My goal is to save money with 50+ MPG for 130 mile daily commute. I can't justify buying a new one for 3.5X price to save ONLY $1800/year on gas at $3/gallon. Performance better than I expected. Technology is truly impressive I am confident to drive it for another 5 years to 300K miles, if the battery OK. Heard many Prius at 200K miles, battery still fine.

Fun car, looking forward to PHEV or EV
By yohan on 11/16/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After more than six months, the only problem I've had with my 2004 Prius is a dead battery. I've averaged about 52 mpg when I wasn't deliberately driving economically. As a former leadfoot Corvette owner, it took me a while to learn to get 70 mpg or even 99+ mpg, but I did accomplish this using techniques I read in the manual and online. With a car full of husky adults, patience is required for economical acceleration and hill-climbing. The typical American driver will push the pedal for more power, but the electric will kick in and save on gas. I recommend cruise control and some patience to get 50-60 mpg on that long hilly highway trip.

Bad!
By Jessie D on 05/28/09 14:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I owned this car for three and a half years, used about 60,000 miles and it was awesome until it rained, snowed or was windy at all. I felt completely unsafe, and scared during any storm or driving on snow. The seats were decently sized, but hard as rocks. The gas mileage was the reason I bought it, and that stayed true to what was said about how great it was. I ended up buying a Honda SUV because this car scared me so much to drive even on a sunny day with lots of wind. I now feel so much safer, and would never purchase another small Toyota again.

117000 miles on my Prius
By Barry on 05/04/09 06:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have an 04 Prius with 117000 miles on it. In the earlier years I had all the problems with the car stalling or not wanting to keep going, but Toyota finally resolved those issues with software upgrades and recalls. For the past 3 years I've had no problems. At 112000 miles I needed a new water pump, but otherwise I've had no mechanical issues. The battery is fine. I drive exclusively on local roads, 40 miles each way to work, and get 48 mpg during the winter (New Hampshire winters are brutal) and am now getting 57 mpg in the Springtime. The car gets significantly less gas mileage if I only use it for short hops (5-10 miles) or if I drive on the highway.

Best Car I've had in 73 years
By Jim & Danae Michael on 12/30/08 15:01 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car to be green, save on gas and replace the gas guzzling Buicks we had. We had a friend who had a 2001 and let us drive it. We were sold. Our 2004 Prius is the best car we have ever owned. The only thing that went wrong was the fairly expensive starter battery which was replaced by the dealer for $212. Not bad for a four-year automotive parts and repair bill!

Love my Penguin Prius in snow !
By ed on 12/21/08 19:34 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a used Prius w/ 116,000 miles on it + got a pretty good deal. Took it to work all w/e in heavy 2-day Boston blizzard as I am a nurse + can't call in sick or take snow days. It was surprisingly great in the snow + exceeded all expectations. It is no snowplow but got me through it. The car is a wonder of technology + if @ 1st a little overwhelming it grows on you quick!

PRIUS -- THE ONLY HYBRID
By daveb on 12/03/08 17:23 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have logged 140K miles in five years, averaging 45+ mpg. The greatest feature of the car is its rock solid reliability - it still has the original brakes. I like the car so much I just purchased a new 2009. This car may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it fits my lifestyle - plenty of room for my family of 4 and the hatchback makes it useful for those occasional runs to Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a well engineered vehicle that has retained it rock solid feel over the many miles that it has traveled.

The Future Today In A Prius!
By Jim Cullen on 11/30/08 21:07 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I get giddy when people ask about this amazing hybrid car. It simply delivers like no other car. It does all you ask of it and leaves you with smiles & pride in your selection of a new car. Now with 95K miles after over 5 yrs it stands all the tests that other cars cannot. Now, with only a replacement of an hd lt bulb, I look back and realize what dependability is all about. I've saved over $10,000 in gas compared to my SUV I once had. What's even better is that my car looks just like an '09 Prius. This is the car of the future today.