Used 2003 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )

GREAT CAR
By hoamee

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Best car I have ever owned. Fuel economy different from advertised. I have been getting 50 mpg on highway and 40 mpg in city - opposite of what expected. Dealership service is good. The only bad expereience is buying from the dealership. They are very arrogant and stupid, making it difficult to purchase.

Every thing works.

Larger sized wheels for better appearance. More trunk space.

beautiful and quiet
By diannen

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The most fun car I've ever driven. Never tire of being amazed how unique and quiet the car is in it's electrical mode when taking off from being stopped. I love how economic and fuel efficient it is -- the dealership was astounded I traded a loaded GMC Yukon Denali for a Prius...Ha! (I do miss the Yukon's adjustable lumbar support and heated seats.) I did add leather seats to class it up even more and to make it easy to clean.

fuel efficiency. quietness. uniqueness. environmentally consciousness.

move drive gear shift onto steering wheel column. adjust regenerative breaking system so it's a bit smoother. add more potential options to choose from. add undercoating to wheel wells to lessen occasional gravel/sand/rock noise.

2003 Prius
By Marzy

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a female above 70 years. This is the ideal car for me. Easy to handle, very inexpensive to operate. The car is very stylish inside and out, with plenty of interior room. It is fun to dr

How inexpensive it is to operate, the comfortable bucket seats and the ease of handlin

I have none at this time

Mr. Economy
By Steve L

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This automobile is very comfortable ahd quiet. My average fuel economy is 44 mpg with the majority of trips being 3.5 miles to and from work. I have read other reviews of the cars poor handling but I find those views to be untrue. This car hugs the twisties and is very predictable in its responses. Power is marginal but adequate. Passing power band is acceptable with a top speed of 104 mph on level road. Top mpg I've gotten was 53. The feel of the car is much larger that it's footprint suggests. The car I was going to get before looking at the Prius was a Mini Cooper. Glad I got the Prius though I still have the "motoring" philosophy.

Thumbing your nose at gas stations of course is the biggest draw of this car. I find every aspect of the Prius to be well thought out and functional. Very CLEAN design. Love this little car.

The new Prius has removed the "pickle" shift lever and given it more power in the electric mode. All of this is nice but the design as it stands is quite good.

Can't Beat the Prius
By Clogdancer

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my pristine 92 XLE Camry ripped off and totalled. I went to my dealership in search for a used Prius. They are rare. One pulled in: Emerald Gold flake. I could not believe our luck. It had every option. It looked new on the interior and exterior. It handles GREAT! Very small turning radius! Plenty of pep. This is not a whimpy Echo. Did you know that going from 30 to 60 MPH, the Prius can beat a Porche? The 2002 Prius is a tried and true design. The example I purchased is quieter than the top-of- the-line Camry XLE, or Avalon.

Tight and nimble handling. Sips gas. Comfortable seats. Larger than a Corolla. A Trunk It has torque to handle 4 grown adults w/no performance difference. Safe, reliable, handling like a sport car, nimble, sips gas when not using the batteries. 50-75 MPG on any day.

The seat needs an armrest for both the passenger and driver. A taller center console would be great. No other improvements.