Used 2003 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )

Our Prius
By eheading

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius feels like a bigger car than it is in ride and quietness. We find it enjoyable to drive with more pep than we expected.

Favorite Features

The hybrid design, the comfortable seats and ride

Suggested Improvements

Externally it isn't one of the best looking cars on the road

Great buy: Great ride: Great savings
By Bill Tarbell

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Cd\radio\ audio tape sound system is excellent. 4 dual sized cups good, convenient O my gosh handles over each door. The warranty and tax deductions, the almost total emissions control, the support for my bad back, all are TERRIFIC! The glove compartment and trunk are larger than one would expect from exterior view. Great car for short\long trips in comfort, convenience, and cost effectiveness. Speedy rascal. Four doors make for easy access. Recliner seats are too good!THE MILEAGE OF 46 IS FOR INNER CITY: WE GET 58 OR BETTER ON THE HIGHWAY OFTEN, SOMETIMES MUCH BETTER. If I weren't otherwise employed, I'd be a salesperson for the Prius.

Favorite Features

Cost, comfort, control of emissions, incredible warranty plan, extra fine servicing and lovely tax break

Suggested Improvements

Am interested in a truck version that can pull a trailer.More range of exterior and interior colors, perhaps some custom colors. Special discount to high school and college graduates with B or better average. This would be a real incentive for some students and help the environment.

Great car
By mejulia

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my little car. It is perfect for all the work related driving I do. Most of my driving is on city streets but my Prius is perfect for the few freeway trips I make. Others are always surprised at how comfortable and quiet it is.

Favorite Features

Gas milesage is my favorite thing though comfort, reliability and great service at my Toyota dealership are high on the list.

Suggested Improvements

Guess there could be some impovement, but I don't know what. OK, once in awhile I miss the V8 of my former car, but this would be my preference if I had to buy another car.

Vesten reviews the 03 Prius
By Vesten

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun, different, and exciting. It is fun getting into a car that told you how your fuel economy was doing as you are driving and how the power is being used with a visual display. It is very different sitting at a stop and feeling the engine just turn off and realizing the car is still running. It is exciting to see how far you can go on a tank of regular gas and challenge yourself to see what your best milage can be.

Favorite Features

The visual display that allows you to see how your power is being transfered from the engine or battery and to the wheels, or to the battery. I also enjoy the instant milage display.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders the design is less than adequite.

I'm A Believer
By James C. Harris

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and need maximum fuel economy for our 70 mile round trip daily comute. Our new Prius started with approximately 46 mpg. After the break in at 20000 miles, we are now experiencing 50+ mpg on our daily comute. We are strong believers in the hybrid design. Our driving habits now are geared to maximizing our fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features are the cruise control, the CD player, the auto-temp setting, the center console, and the 50 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in the front allows tipping; the back seats should fold down to expose more trunk space; the navigations system should work.