2003 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )
Love my 2003 Prius, named: "Petipa"
By Peggy B. Sherrill on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having wanted an electic/clean air auto for many years, I am extremely pleased to have found a car that is ALMOST totally free of gas emitions, freeing up some of the world's polution.

Excellent, Fun, Fast and Fuel Efficient
By cbmd on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the most technologically advanced car on the road and its Honda competitors are not even near the usefulness or speed even though slightly more mileage with Insight. My Prius has had three small problems. Tire wear was the worst, but a tire or wheel change should fix it nicely on the 2004 model. Toyota and the dealer replaced the tires and have done all servicing without any charge.

Hybrids are the BEST!
By awilley on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Toyota Prius is an amazing vehicle! The Energy & Consumption displays definitely make me feel more connected to my vehicle's performance. I find myself doing everything I can to increase my average MPG. My average is about 500 miles per TANK (and with a compact-size tank, it doesn't cost much to re-fuel). Though it's more expensive than other cars on the market, I feel this is the best investment I've ever made! It's a wonderful car and I think everyone should own a hybrid!! Here's to cleaner air and less dependence on fossil fuels...

Excellent Hybrid
By jbakerjonathan on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

LEAST polluting auto in the USA. Stylish on the inside; makes a statement on the outside. Prius is FUN to drive. 258 lb.-ft. of torque makes it MOVE from a stop light. Smooth forward movement from 0 to 100 miles per hour. Power to keep up with traffic (and pass, if you are so inclined) safely and with confidence. My lifetime (9 mos) MPG is 46, 80/20 highway/local. Toyota warranty for hybrid design 8yr/100k miles; powertrain: 5yr/60k miles; basic: 3yr/36k miles. This is a GREAT car. Two complaints: see below - otherwise, very comfortable.

Prius
By Marie Currie on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the car for the car. I also like the benefits. I'm in real estate. People may or may not do business with you based on the car you drive. The Prius crosses all monetary barriers and is suitable to ALL my clients... the wealthy and humble. If you drive too nice a car some don't want to deal with you since they think you make too much money. If you drive a clunker you are not successful enough. Perfect choice.

Love a Hybrid
By earth on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I chose the Prius over the Honda Civic Hybrid after much homework and I am glad I selected the Prius.Currently,I have 5,000 miles on it,just returnilg from a trip to the Ozarks and the Smokies;the car handled very well on the interstate mountains,even at 85 m.p.h.--had to keep up with the semis.I am exceeding the m.p.g.rating,averaging around 51 combination city and highway-- most miles are interstate.The 04 model sounds even better;I do not think that I will ever buy another car unless it is a hybrid,so clean and economical.I love to drive by the service stations!

prius
By swochap on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Outstanding vehicle for the high mileage commuter. Great fuel economy, I have avg'd 44 mpg combined during the first 11,000 miles over 3 months!! Fun to drive. Plenty of power. Rides nicely. Only minor fault is interior quality--fabric could be better grade.

Beware Prius
By FMjustice on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Has a maintenance requirement that Toyota fails to disclose except in the fine print in the manual. The car must be run for 30 minutes at least every two weeks or both the 12 volt and hybrid battery may deteriorate. Upon being asked, Toyota's staff informs one that failure to comply with the requirement may result in the warranty on the hybrid battery (for which they will not disclose the replacemet cost) being voided. Honda, at least, gives you a month on its hybrid, and does not threaten to void your warranty. We also experienced an exploding tire and have never achieved the advertised gas mileage.

2001 Prius
By A Massey on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great!, I would buy another one if I could drive two cars at the same time

Prius 2001 Review
By E Davie on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius I own is probably the most completely integrated maching I have ever known. Everything works so well together and so efficiently. It is beautifully quiet and responsive.