Used 2003 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )

A little bit disappointed
By Scott

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were so excited to own this car. It is our first new car and I share it with my wife. We drive it more then average drivers ~18-19000 per year. We average 40 miles per gallon and that is when we do not use the air conditioning. We have asked our Toyota dealership about it and they have not been able to answer except by saying it must be because we always accelerate too fast, which is untrue. We also recently had to replace the "transmission knob sensor" at a cost of $750 and it was no longer under warranty. we have also had some other quality problems with the car. It also goes through tires faster then other cars.

Favorite Features

It is awesome that it shuts off when you come to a stop. All cars should have this feature. We also like the insturment cluster. They are also holding thier resale value which is good for us as we are planning to sell ours sometime soon and get the new version.

Suggested Improvements

Again there are some quality issues. Also we have found that the Toyota service people are not especially knowledgeable about the nuances of the Prius and it would be nice if they were more informed as you can not bring the cars to other mechanics.

The perfect ten.
By zes

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Without question the best car I ever had. Fun to drive. Excellent quality. Perfect reliability. Efficient, great handling, clean exhaust. Great dealer relationship. Affordable, consistent 50 MPG fuel consumption.

Favorite Features

Central location of display panel. Large number readouts. Quiet operation in electric mode.

Suggested Improvements

Larger battery, plug-in charging. Driver choice of electric only operation.

I Love My Prius
By jussmith

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned a Prius for 2 1/2 years. I love it. I have had no trouble with it. The only time it did not start the temperature was 40 below zero and I really don't think many cars were starting that night. I have had no problems with the car. I would probably get better milage if I lived in a city instead of the country. If I keep my speed to 50 miles/ hr or less i can get 52 miles/gal. But since I drive 40 miles a day to work one way and my speed is between 65 and 70 miles/ hr i"m getting about 45 miles/ gal. the car is wonderful the only thing I would change is that I really like a sun roof and this year did not have one.

Favorite Features

I love knowing what my miles/gal as I drive. I like knowing what is going on with the engine gas vs electric motor working. The seats are very comfortable. The inside of the car seems so much bigger than the size.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof. Better tape deck. Allow the car to use more electric power and allow it to be plugged into home electricity to increase the miles/gal of full more. I'd even plug it into a solar panel energy sorce if there was a way to do it.

She rocks!
By Diane

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have never been happier! She rides great! Looks great! Is amazing on gas! Much more room than one would think! I can't say enough great things about my Prius! Thanks, Toyota!

Favorite Features

Design, dashboard, touch screen.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest for the driver.

Happy Hybrid owner
By ColoradoHybrid

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Enjoyable to drive with plenty of pickup and great turning radius. At ~50 MPG real milage (a bit higher in summer and lower in winter) you have to love passing the gas pumps. Even after ~500 miles I seldom put more than 10 gallons in per fill up. Works to climb the Colorado hills, but still holds it's own. 'B' actually comes in handy decending on grades. I love my Prius so much I just put a deposit on the soon to be released hybrid-Highlander. Narrow tires cause some handling issues on grooved asphault.

Favorite Features

Gotta be the gas milage, but it's still fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

2003 model had some design issues addressed in the '04 models. Would prefer higher grade interior (leather,...)