Used 2003 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )

Fuel-efficient fun
By KevB

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

High tech features make this fuel-efficient vehicle a bit quirkie, but it's a gas to drive. It's all Toyota, so quality is built in.

Favorite Features

It's high tech features, like regenerative braking make it special. It's get up and go off the line make it tons of fun.

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded interior (leather seats,...) would be a bonus.

Toyota Prius for 6'3'' Male Usage
By M. Connor

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I moved from the Philadelphia area to rural northern Berks to enjoy the green beauty. We have recycled and buy electricity from Green Mountain Electric that operates the Wind Generation Plant in central PA. This car is the answer to our prayers for an ecologically sensible and user friendly car. At 46 to 50 miles per gallon it is a joy to operate. My wife ran out of gas last week and drove to the gas station using the battery, no other can can do that. It has great pickup and high speed driving response and very short turning radius. Great car and is comfortable for my family of five.

Favorite Features

89% less emmissions than average car on the road and twice as much miles per gallon. Low noise and just plain fun to drive as it sticks to the road much better than other cars I have driven. Range on a tank of gas is over 500 miles.

Suggested Improvements

This car has only one draw back in that the center console is not high enough to rest your right arm on and that could be fixed by a higher console top if Toyota wanted to do it.

Clean Green Lean Machine
By Brad Munger

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent energy efficieny and "super ultra-low emissions car. Pushing 50 mpg actual, this is a smartly engineered, high quality vehicle, with excellent safety features. Well laid-out spacious interior for a compact vehicle, sits four adults comfortably, with adequate trunk space. Safety features ABS, DRL, front- and side-airbags. Adequate power and speed (does 85 mph without problems) with aceptable--but not performace-- handling. Great car for in-town or road trips. Mileage superiority really shines in town.

Favorite Features

Super-ultra-low emissions. Exceptional gas mileage (no need to drill ANWR or occupy Iraq). Very pragmatic and beautifully engineered vehicle. Although high-tech in its use of computers, the basic design is simple and elegant--right down to its cup holders!

Suggested Improvements

Add curtain airbags. Add traction control. Higher center armrest in front (after-market option is good). Cup holders are great. Improve frontal crash protection at the A-pillar, mainly on sliding under a barrier.

BEST OF ALL
By jsmjr

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned this car since October 2002 and drive about 15,000 miles a year. On average I get around 45 miles to the gallon, and would be getting more if I didn't live in a hilly community. Can't say enough about this car. I have owned many new cars in my lifetime, and this care is fantastic.

Favorite Features

The stealthy, quiet mode that sneeks up on parking attendants, and security guards. You won't hear this car coming.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is too small. The 2004 is a hatchback, and I'm a little bit jealous of the next generation owners.

Beat Expectations
By TheWanderer

2003 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted a Prius ever since I heard they were coming to America. Recently purchased 2003 and it turned out better than I had hoped. I love this car. Totally impressed me in the Rockies where I thought I would be having to used the slow lane for the uphill runs. Nope, I ended up passing nearly every SUV around! Going down was a breeze too. Got awesome gas mileage in the mountains and that was a huge surpise.

Favorite Features

Nearly everything.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank should be worked on. The gauges don't read consistently. Don't know if that's due to the temperatures and the bladder tank or what.