2003 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (92 reviews )
Drive a Prius
By RLG on 03/22/09 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our vehicle mileage just went over 100,000 miles. This car is amazing. We have averaged about 50 mpg for almost eight years. It's so quiet.

Will never buy a gas car again
By newyawk2000 on 11/29/08 18:11 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2003 model Prius in late 2002. At the time only two hybrids were available in the market, the other was Honda civic. I chose the Prius because it was roomier. I had a major engine problem a year ago but thankfully was covered under warranty: The fuel injectors were replaced. Otherwise the only other problem has been the tires wearing out fast. Make sure you get a warranty on tires.

Great car... wave to the gas pumps
By icvalue on 11/08/07 07:13 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Outstanding car overall, Great gas mileage (46 avg.). Very reliable car. Better acceleration than most small cars and it handles very well. Much roomier than I expected.

Glad I bought mine when I did
By jack on 11/11/06 22:55 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very comfortable driver's seat.

Toyota Hybrid is a Winner
By homertcornish1 on 08/27/06 11:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 4 years of driving I have found the 2003 Toyota Prius an excellent auto in every category except for comfort. The newer models are 5 inches longer which should improve the comfort. My average highway mileage is over 50 mpg regardless of speed. In town mileage is closer to 45 (Toyota claims you get better mileage in town but its not true). It has plenty of power to go up mountains and can keep up with the best of cars and trucks on the Interstate. I have had only one minor glitch during the 4 years of my ownership and that was a minor computer that was replaced free by Toyota. Maintenance has been comparable to a regular gasoline car, except for the $700 cost of the 60,000 maintenance.

A little bit disappointed
By Scott on 05/23/06 16:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were so excited to own this car. It is our first new car and I share it with my wife. We drive it more then average drivers ~18-19000 per year. We average 40 miles per gallon and that is when we do not use the air conditioning. We have asked our Toyota dealership about it and they have not been able to answer except by saying it must be because we always accelerate too fast, which is untrue. We also recently had to replace the "transmission knob sensor" at a cost of $750 and it was no longer under warranty. we have also had some other quality problems with the car. It also goes through tires faster then other cars.

The perfect ten.
By zes on 03/02/06 10:58 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Without question the best car I ever had. Fun to drive. Excellent quality. Perfect reliability. Efficient, great handling, clean exhaust. Great dealer relationship. Affordable, consistent 50 MPG fuel consumption.

I Love My Prius
By jussmith on 01/03/06 00:18 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned a Prius for 2 1/2 years. I love it. I have had no trouble with it. The only time it did not start the temperature was 40 below zero and I really don't think many cars were starting that night. I have had no problems with the car. I would probably get better milage if I lived in a city instead of the country. If I keep my speed to 50 miles/ hr or less i can get 52 miles/gal. But since I drive 40 miles a day to work one way and my speed is between 65 and 70 miles/ hr i"m getting about 45 miles/ gal. the car is wonderful the only thing I would change is that I really like a sun roof and this year did not have one.

She rocks!
By Diane on 12/28/05 19:55 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have never been happier! She rides great! Looks great! Is amazing on gas! Much more room than one would think! I can't say enough great things about my Prius! Thanks, Toyota!

Happy Hybrid owner
By ColoradoHybrid on 05/01/05 15:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Enjoyable to drive with plenty of pickup and great turning radius. At ~50 MPG real milage (a bit higher in summer and lower in winter) you have to love passing the gas pumps. Even after ~500 miles I seldom put more than 10 gallons in per fill up. Works to climb the Colorado hills, but still holds it's own. 'B' actually comes in handy decending on grades. I love my Prius so much I just put a deposit on the soon to be released hybrid-Highlander. Narrow tires cause some handling issues on grooved asphault.