2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Still feels unique

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Still feels unique
By Kat Ann on

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car, the smooth ride, shut down at stop lights, quiet but quick acceleration. I average 40 mpg. Toyota should say mileage will improve as car breaks in. In tough weather, mileage drops slightly in relation to use of defrost/air co. and unlike other hybrids does not shut off at stop lights! I came up a very ]steep hill w 6" snow and moving slowly I rode to the top without a problem. Narrow tires are stable in snow, not in mud. Would I buy it again? Definitely.

A fantastic turning radius. Great parking in NYC. Nav system gives a feeling of luxury and am still finding new features 9 months into use. The maintenance people are big believers in this car and great about explaining how things actually work.

Move the radio channel changer out from under the gear shift. In busy traffic I don't like to use the touch screen changer and I find the current location annoying. Make CD standard. While seats are comfortable, more positions would be nice and heated side mirrors.