2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Another positive review

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Another positive review
By George Roland on

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been very happy with my 02 Prius. Good resale value! It's now 7 years old and running superbly. My MPG has been an average of 38 in the winter and 42 in the summer. This car really has to be serviced at the dealer. I went to Jiffy Lube for a radiator flush, and though they insisted they used the right fluid, they didn't and my car broke down. I had to replace the coolant reservoir ($600). My only other repair still needs to be done: the navigation system stopped working due to an electrical failure. All the other features of the display work (audio, trip computer, avg MPG, etc) The nav can be repaired for $600 refurbished or $4000 new but I think I will just buy a tomtom.

The car always starts and has very reliable/predictable ride and handling. The tech and interior creature comforts are very nice. VERY RELIABLE. Trunk space is fine. Upholstery is soft. Love driving on just battery power (infinite MPG :), it's possible up to 40 MPH once the engine is warm.

The ride/suspension is a little soft. Rear seats are fixed in place and front seats are not Volvo-supportive on long trips. I'm getting the itch to buy a more luxurious car, but I'm probably just taking for granted all the amazing features and incredible reliability of this car.