2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Beware old Hybrid Battery

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Beware old Hybrid Battery
By ihtsjnellay on

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used at a dealership and they checked everything else EXCEPT for the hybrid battery. Being a hybrid, and having 2 batteries could be a nightmare waiting to happen. I used it for 2 days and the 2nd day, on the way home from work on the freeway my car had stopped accelerating. The main battery light came up and I had to stop on the side of the road to start it up again. This happened 3 times, and I only live 10 mins away from my work. The cost to replace an old hybrid battery is 3000 for parts and 2000 for labor. BEWARE. Only the new Prius' are reliable considering this is the earliest of models.
By desertgator
on 03/15/14 12:59 PM (PDT)

Notice this battery failed in a 2002 Prius, the reviewer is complaining about an 11 (eleven) year old battery that is warranted for 10 years max. The Prius I am interested in (local Used Car Dealer) has had a NEW Battery installed after the old one died with over 100,000 miles on it & after sitting in storage for about 4 months. I was told that Battery & Labor would have been $3100 to replace. I was also told that Toyota offers a ‘rebate’ of $1000 if the battery is turned in to be ‘recycled / rebuilt’. I saw the paperwork that showed the cost of the new battery as $2,100 +tax & other fees.