2002 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
I love this car!
By skippythetaxboy on 03/09/02 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We now have 9000 miles on our Prius, and every time we get in it my wife and I still look at each other and say out loud, "I love this car!" Incredible build quality and zero problems after one year of ownership. Legendary "stealth mode"...still have fun freaking people out (usually bikers or joggers) by cruising by silently. Only one minor complaint...gas mileage really suffers in our cold winters. Sometimes the engine will turn on just to produce heat for the passenger compartment!

I like my Prius
By bku on 03/06/02 22:50 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I believe this car has defined a new category of cars I like to call "Luxury Economy". It really shines around town in stop and go traffic but also does surprisingly well on long road trips. Center gauge placement keeps your eyes closer to the road and you can forget having to duck your head around to see that one gauge that is always obscured by the steering wheel. Very smooth and comfortable ride. Don't let its exterior size fool you. It has lots of headroom even for someone 6 ft tall.

Smart Choice!
By Patrick Law on 02/27/02 23:04 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is probably "the" car for a geeky engineer like me: Drive by wire throttle, hybrid engine, re-generative brake, computerized engine display, etc. You also get the build quality of a Toyota. It may not be a big deal for its gas mileage nowaday as gas price is just a bit over $1. But as a VULEV (very ultra low emission vehicle), I feel a lot better driving this car around.

My 2002 Prius
By mi on 02/26/02 19:50 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a fun little car on the outside and very roomy and comfortable on the inside. Until you sit in it you don't realize how big it is! Very comfortable on a long drive.. No problem going up mountains - and passed many that were bogging down. The milage was great, over 40mpg going up above 7K feet and 49mpg coming back down!!

Surprising Small Car
By TBeck on 02/13/02 11:23 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving this car for 100 miles, I am very surprised at its big car feel. Ride quality is very good as is interior comfort. The car feels extremely solid and makes you think you're driving a car as big as the Camry. Toyota's attention to detail is evident everywhere. Seems like the accountants were left out for once in designing this car.

Prius replaced Ford Ranger
By MSDickerson on 02/04/02 16:19 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

slight instability at high speeds. Noticed that it accelerated much better than my Ford Ranger. Extremely quite car. Interior misdesigned piece center arm rest is too low. Gear shift hides some controls. Snow driving was fine being front wheel drive. Used tire chains and still achieved about 40 mpg while chains on car. Plenty of power - CVT is unique in that there is no shifting . It is actually nice though in that as soon as you let off the gas, then engine goes away)..