Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

Prius Fantasy Gas Milage
By harryn1

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is an excellent car, but the gas milage is not what Toyota claims, especially when you have to use the A/C like we do in Arizona, most of the year. The on board computer is very optimistic, when compared to the manual way (fill tank, drive, fill again to see how many gallons used, divide miles driven by gallons). It probably gets no more than any small sedan with a 1.5- 2.0L engine. However, it is very well made, an 8 yr warranty, and heavier feeling than smaller Toyota models. It has an ugly front end shape because they made it very streamlined. The trunk is very small, but seating is good.

Favorite Features

Compared to my former cars, gas consumption is very low, at least high 30's, but not 50 like they claim possible.

Suggested Improvements

Their 2004 model is supposedly bigger, cooler looking, but probably won't get the current body style gas mileage. The tires are low friction, and many have reported poor total miles per set, questioning whether the gas saved offsets the tires replaced cost.

Why Can't the Germans Do This?
By CaliforniaDrivin

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Comfortable, fun to drive, economical and quality, quality, quality. Just read reviews of the Jetta and/or Passat I ALMOST bought. Nice to have made the right choice. Excellent dealer service and attitude as well. Comfortable on long trips up the California coast. No street racer but does not claim to be.

Snub Car
By Dr. Rico

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Surprisingly fun and practical commuter. It can carry four but for two and luggage - no problem. a fully functional auto with no real compromises - unless you need to burn rubber

Favorite Features

Great mileage, fits me at 6'2, good visibility, tight and solidly built. Pretty peppy too for the size of the engine.

Suggested Improvements

More stuff capacity in cabin - cup holders mostly.

Good
By Chute

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have this car a little over one month. Purchased the latter of April 2003. I drove this car to Jackson hole Wyo. last month, there wasnt an incline in the Rockies From I 70 to Denver, to Salt LAKE CITY,then on to Jackson Hole. I 80 back to NYC. that I couldnt climb at 70 to 80 mph. Im very pleased so far and just turned over 8000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a power seat to further inhance the comfort.

Still feels unique
By Kat Ann

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car, the smooth ride, shut down at stop lights, quiet but quick acceleration. I average 40 mpg. Toyota should say mileage will improve as car breaks in. In tough weather, mileage drops slightly in relation to use of defrost/air co. and unlike other hybrids does not shut off at stop lights! I came up a very ]steep hill w 6" snow and moving slowly I rode to the top without a problem. Narrow tires are stable in snow, not in mud. Would I buy it again? Definitely.

Favorite Features

A fantastic turning radius. Great parking in NYC. Nav system gives a feeling of luxury and am still finding new features 9 months into use. The maintenance people are big believers in this car and great about explaining how things actually work.

Suggested Improvements

Move the radio channel changer out from under the gear shift. In busy traffic I don't like to use the touch screen changer and I find the current location annoying. Make CD standard. While seats are comfortable, more positions would be nice and heated side mirrors.