Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

free to drive
By prius owner

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

excellent car gas milliage is wonderful,drives with pep and hugs the turns

navigation system and sound system

more colors and options

I must like it I'm buying my third Prius
By dwolf1087

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a 2001 which was in an accident, a 2002 and am now buying a 2004 Prius. The Prius is wonderful. I get 55+ MPG. My driving style suits the Prius. I drive mostly on trips of 20 minutes or more at 35-40 miles per hour with limited traffic stops. Freeway miles are less at 46mpg. I also get less milage in winter, 45-50. On the other hand my record is 64mpg on a tankful (confirmed at pump not just the computer screen which tends to be off by a consistant 2mpg). The Prius will not get the best milage during the first five minutes or so as it warms up, often only 35. Performance is good, comfort levels high.

Fuel economy, low emissions, and it is SO quiet.

It has been improved in 2004 with even better mileage, more room and more power, wow.

Money in the bank
By Freedom1

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a 1st gen hybrid Toyota has done a superb job. If you are curious about the other manufactures reports check out the Dept of Energy web site and compare the notes yourself, Toyota leads the others by 10yrs in development this car has been operational on the roads since '97 in Japan and available in the US since '01. Seating 5 pax and an excellent commuter, I would recommend this car to anyone who loves to save money with an 11.9gal tank I got 485 miles on one tank, and average about 40.2 mpg my last 3000 miles I have driven. Given that I drive hard and fast thatís great for a lead foot, the car maxes out at 101mph.

The car is loaded w/power locks, windows, and tilt/cruse. Built in cpu w/the touch screen features and w/radio cont built in. The climate cont are just like the big lux models. The doors open really wide . Like the Corolla in size/handling lots of leg/head room.

The only thing that Toyota needs to incorporate in the next gen is the ability to drive off battery power if you run out of gas. A folding rear seat would increase your ability to carry long items easier.

Great Car
By wyoung62

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

22,000 niles and not 1 defect or problem. Best car I have ever owned. Love getting 44 mpg average

very low emissions. 44 avg. mgp

little more room inside.

solidly built for a niched vehicle
By eandlcubed

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

it is peppy for a hybrid vehicle. seats are very comfortable for long ride (many trips from dc to detroit). engine is little loud under hard acceleration. the headlights is not too bright. cupholders are too shallow for cans and tall cups. because of the small tire/wheels, car seems to wander in heavy wind,

the centered mounted speedo is perfect. likewise for the large and clear speedo markings

need light near the mirror adj. less reflection of the speedo off the front windshield. zenon/fog light. leather seats. remote trunk release. rear vent ducts. sun screen/blind for rear passengers. rear foglights for the north american market.