2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
Cool technology
By Another Matt on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car definitely delivers on its mileage promise. Like other reviewers, I've been getting about 45-50 mpg in regular driving. The most impressive mileage I got was 53 on a roughly 500 mile journey -- did the whole thing with one tank of gas. Mileage seems to vary with weather (the engine runs more in the cold). I looked up a bunch of the patents behind this car. Man those guys are clever. The connection between the gas engine and electric motor is truly elegant.

Fun Way to be Eco-Friendly
By Whirling on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently bought my Prius, after test driving both it and the new Honda Civic Hybrid. I opted for the Prius because it seemed to have a little more "spunk," it has the reliability of a not-first-model-year Toyota, , the toyota is a SULEV, while the Civic is only a ULEV, and the turning circle is incredible. So far, the gas mileage has been between 45 and 48 mpg. The mileage varies a lot based on how fast one drives. Toyota charges a huge amount for either the CD player option. If possible, get these when you buy the car, because they are more expensive later.

Great gas mileage!!!!!
By green leaf on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius has great gas mileage! The highest I have acheived is 58.8. It has surprising power too. I had five adults in the car with the A/C on, while passing 18-wheelers. There are problems with it. On my car, the build quality has been disappointing, and so has the reliability. It is in the shop now for a new rack-and-pinion.

This is The One!
By H on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great vehicle. No negatives. Design and workmanship superior. Don't wait for anything better---this is it!

Great little car!
By gran1 on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've only put a few thousand miles on it, but it's been a lot of highway miles. It's very comfortable. I think Toyota could have boosted the quality of the seats, but it's still comfortable. My main "gripe" is the center arm rest. I drove the car for about a month and then ordered the extension from Coastal Technology. I was concerned about muddy roads as we have a pretty good stretch to drive on them when it rains. Front wheel drive handles it like a charm! We're getting a constant 46 - 47 miles to the gallon. We drive 35 miles each way to work, plus around town driving. The mileage seems to get better as it's broken in. Sooooo much better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee!

Prius Review
By tfrancis on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have 5000 miles on car bought on Jan. 15, 2002. Have had absolutely no problems with it. I love to drive it. I love the 45 - 50 miles per gallon economy.

Just drive it
By whitelightning60706 on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A test drive convinced us both that this was our next car. Our Prius has 50% more horsepower than the Fiero it replaced (when needed, the 44 HP of the electric motor assist the 90 HP of the gas engine.) At 110 miles we are already getting 43 MPG, even in stop and go traffic. This car is both twice as clean pollution-wise as most new cars, and twice as efficient in use of gas, plus doesn't need special gas. The hybrid technology and batteries are covered essentially for life. If it fails, the risk is Toyota's. It is surprisingly roomy inside. Contrary to some reviews, Prius includes Traction Control. The car was delivered defect-free except for under-inflated tires.

Amazing!!!
By jesusnipples on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 6,000 miles this car never ceases to amaze me. The driving certainly takes getting used to. You can't expect to master it on a weekend trip (reference, previous poor review). Once you learn the subtleties of driving in "steath mode" (fully electric), your fuel economy will soar. Expect "poor" mpg ratings (35 mpg) at first. For the last 2,500 miles, I have averaged 51.7 mpg. Interior plenty of room for 4 or 5. This car has more legroom in the back than my 2001 Jetta. I am 5'10" and can sit behind the front seats, even with the seat slid all the way back! Trunk is surprisingly large. Plenty of pep. I "burned rubber" a few days ago trying to scoot across a busy intersection.

Wheee!
By suze on 03/18/02 18:18 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I Love this car! The new technology is very exciting and fun. My actual mileage has been closer to 45mpg than 52mpg, but I think that is par for the course. I have not had one problem with this car. My main concern when I went to see it was: how would it perform? and the answer is great. Good pick-up, cruises at 65mph no sweat, handles easily. Interior very comfortable, even on several hundred miletrips. Comfortably seats 4 adults. One caveat: The hybrid engine read out on the dashboard is so cool to watch, When I first had the car, I almost rear ended someone!

The future of driving
By Gazings on 03/10/02 15:40 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You must drive this car! Crusing around with the engine totally off is a real trip. Sitting at stoplights in total silence is amazing. The ride is very quiet at all times, even on the freeway. Definitely spring for the touch-screen navigation system - worth every penny. Very comfy ride, great view out. Auto climate control is excellent, and the stereo has surprisingly good sound.