2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
Great Features, Ugly Looks
By Darek on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For every up there has to be a down. The everything about it is great but the look is just ugly. The rims are too small, the body mold is not acceptable, and its too high.

Priusmobile
By lhand on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun car. Plenty of zip on to the interstate and over the road. Better gas mileage on the highway than stop and go (contrary to the manufacturers claim). Maneuvers extremely well. Could use some work on braking capacity. Great trunk space. Tolerable back seat leg room. Good front seat room and comfort. 42 to 45 mpg real #s for me. Some concern about ultimate cost of battery replacement since I tend to keep cars a long time.

We love our Prius
By John Day on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Downside: Does not track well at speed on highways. Does not deliver advertised gas mileage. No wagon or 5-door sedan available. Upside: Noveltly never quits. Delight to drive in town. Quality throughout. Excellent driver's position, visibility. Easy entry and exit for us old folks. Peace and quiet, but not with max uphill or passing situations. Our riders like it, nice back seat.

A Prius for Every Garage
By Gomer on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car makes sense for any 2 car family, especially city dwellers. The amount of interior room is surprising (within tenths of inches compared to Passat) and is quite comfortable. The trunk holds a double child stroller and has plenty of room for groceries to spare. The stereo is pretty decent and the car is very fun to drive. Sure it doesn't give you whiplash when you punch it, but it has plenty enough power for 99% of driving conditions. The energy conserving technology of the Prius provides a great way of giving a one finger salute to our so- called friends in the middle east.

Prius beats my expectations
By hy voltg on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius has ben a delight from the start. Its quality, fit and finish and feels are the usual Toyota rock solid. And the pay off at the pump is terrific. I just came back after a 600 mile trip and found it to be better than expected on the trek. The steering could use some more on center feel, and an armrest would be a plus, but other than that, I love it!

Prius
By Richard W on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car. Reliable, innovative.

A Wonderful Car
By kchandle on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only negative about this car is: the back seats don't fold down. This car is one of the best purchases I have ever made. High mileage, clean, quiet, technologically sophisticated, comfortable throughout: a well- integrated whole. I wouldn't take it to the drag strip, but acceleration (due to the CVT) is smooth, consistent and perfectly adequate for any driving I need to do. My operating costs have dropped by 30% from those of my 1987 Saturn SL2 (imagine the difference if you have an SUV now!). I recommend it highly.

buy prius over honda
By jabass on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have nearly 22,000 miles w/o any problems to date......I average about 70 mi/day commuting.....what the reviews of this car (as compared to Honda) don't tell you is that Toyota covers your preventative maintenance for the 1st 37,500 miles of driving...and goes a step further than Honda by warranting all hybrid components for 8 years/100,000 miles...and the power train is for 60 months/five years....honda doesn't come close......... Great commuting car...and has a good, solid feel on the road......

Eco Car
By ajkerry on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Toyota Prius is my first economy car, and I would own no other. Also would not own it as my only car. But as a second car to use for work commutes, going to the store and other trips around town, you can't beat it. It is actually fun to drive and I am getting 45 mpg in the city, zipping along in left lane traffic. Due to its gas-electric hybrid nature, it is also extremely QUIET, which is a new trip all in itself and which makes driving it all the more fun.

NEED MORE HYBRIDS!
By Atlanta Sparky on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my 2002 Prius 6 mo and over 6000 miles. It is quieter than my Buick, fun to drive, gets extremely good mileage, is very comfortable, environmental and is an ideal everyday commuter vehicle. I am most impressed with the overall quality of the experience of driving a quiet, efficient, environmental and relaxing car back and forth to work every day. This little car is the ideal vehicle for the urban American! I see no disadvantages for the hybrid approach in a regular vehicle and it has numerous advantages over the conventional gas vehicle.