Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

Best choice (after the wife)
By Robert Stokes

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think my Prius was truly the best auto I have purchased.This car has been much better than any talk I have heard. It gets great mileage 48 to 62 regularly, is very easy to drive and handles very well on the highway such as in the back draft of large trucks. I gave my 98 Toyota to my son and park my truck most of the time. I will buy another if this one wears out. The trouble is I like the sedan and all I see now are hatchbacks? Come on Toyota more sedans. I want a trunk. Robert

Favorite Features

So easy to handle in tight places and soooo easy on fuel.

Suggested Improvements

As I stated give back the Prius sedan. I do have a gripe with the steering wheel shaking very hard when I first get started.This has been for a year or two and so far no response from the dealer?

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By bratgirl

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car handles like a dream! The fuel economy is terrific and I get so many comments from other people. Toyota has been fantastic in taking care of the only problem I have had with the car- the computer went out (probably due to very cold weather) and they were amazing! The car has had no problems since. I would have never written a review of any car I have owned in the past, but this little gem is super. I can't wait to get into a new one next year!

Favorite Features

FUEL ECONOMY! Handling is great. I test-drove the Honda Civic and the pick up was nowhere near as good as the Toyota Prius. I love that I only have to change the oil every 7500 miles, and only fill the tank every 475-550 miles! Not bad for a little 10 gallon tank! ;)

Suggested Improvements

leather seats

Wonderful Car
By Susan

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2002 Prius is fabulous. I have owned it for 3 1/2 years with no problems. The car gives terrific gas mileage, steady, comfortable performance and excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a small, sporty, convertible hybrid. Then, I might trade my car in. Otherwise, I may keep my Prius forever.

Great Little Car
By RKendall48

Great little car that is fun to drive & gets great MPG..50+

Great Car
By Annette

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I LOVE MY PRIUS and brag about it frequently to others. I bought it new and now have 81,000 miles on it. It still runs perfectly. The gas mileage is not as high as was advertised, but I still get 41 mpg even when running the ac or defrost. I was nervous about the reliability of the Hybrid System but I've had no battery problems. At 70k miles, Toyota replaced the computer chip (warranty) as I had a "Start Failure" warning light. It seems to have fixed the problem. Others comments are true re: wind resistance, poor tires, turning radius excellent for parallel parking, and computer screen making my foot lighter...

Favorite Features

Quiet ride. Turning radius. Touch screen for radio. MPG. Acceleration and power on hills. Overall petite size. Great trunk space. Massive interior room: big enough for me, my 2 teens, and our 120# dog... all at the same time!

Suggested Improvements

Not sure if these were improved for the new models but... 1) Gear Shift. 2) Fold down rear seats would be nice to extend trunk for long items. 3) Fuel gauge should change color (or alarm) when too low. I ran out 3 times in the first year! I DON'T LIKE THE HATCHBACK, EITHER!