2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
free to drive
By prius owner on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

excellent car gas milliage is wonderful,drives with pep and hugs the turns

I must like it I'm buying my third Prius
By dwolf1087 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a 2001 which was in an accident, a 2002 and am now buying a 2004 Prius. The Prius is wonderful. I get 55+ MPG. My driving style suits the Prius. I drive mostly on trips of 20 minutes or more at 35-40 miles per hour with limited traffic stops. Freeway miles are less at 46mpg. I also get less milage in winter, 45-50. On the other hand my record is 64mpg on a tankful (confirmed at pump not just the computer screen which tends to be off by a consistant 2mpg). The Prius will not get the best milage during the first five minutes or so as it warms up, often only 35. Performance is good, comfort levels high.

Money in the bank
By Freedom1 on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a 1st gen hybrid Toyota has done a superb job. If you are curious about the other manufactures reports check out the Dept of Energy web site and compare the notes yourself, Toyota leads the others by 10yrs in development this car has been operational on the roads since '97 in Japan and available in the US since '01. Seating 5 pax and an excellent commuter, I would recommend this car to anyone who loves to save money with an 11.9gal tank I got 485 miles on one tank, and average about 40.2 mpg my last 3000 miles I have driven. Given that I drive hard and fast thatÂ’s great for a lead foot, the car maxes out at 101mph.

Great Car
By wyoung62 on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

22,000 niles and not 1 defect or problem. Best car I have ever owned. Love getting 44 mpg average

solidly built for a niched vehicle
By eandlcubed on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

it is peppy for a hybrid vehicle. seats are very comfortable for long ride (many trips from dc to detroit). engine is little loud under hard acceleration. the headlights is not too bright. cupholders are too shallow for cans and tall cups. because of the small tire/wheels, car seems to wander in heavy wind,

Prius Fantasy Gas Milage
By harryn1 on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is an excellent car, but the gas milage is not what Toyota claims, especially when you have to use the A/C like we do in Arizona, most of the year. The on board computer is very optimistic, when compared to the manual way (fill tank, drive, fill again to see how many gallons used, divide miles driven by gallons). It probably gets no more than any small sedan with a 1.5- 2.0L engine. However, it is very well made, an 8 yr warranty, and heavier feeling than smaller Toyota models. It has an ugly front end shape because they made it very streamlined. The trunk is very small, but seating is good.

Why Can't the Germans Do This?
By CaliforniaDrivin on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Comfortable, fun to drive, economical and quality, quality, quality. Just read reviews of the Jetta and/or Passat I ALMOST bought. Nice to have made the right choice. Excellent dealer service and attitude as well. Comfortable on long trips up the California coast. No street racer but does not claim to be.

Snub Car
By Dr. Rico on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Surprisingly fun and practical commuter. It can carry four but for two and luggage - no problem. a fully functional auto with no real compromises - unless you need to burn rubber

Good
By Chute on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have this car a little over one month. Purchased the latter of April 2003. I drove this car to Jackson hole Wyo. last month, there wasnt an incline in the Rockies From I 70 to Denver, to Salt LAKE CITY,then on to Jackson Hole. I 80 back to NYC. that I couldnt climb at 70 to 80 mph. Im very pleased so far and just turned over 8000 miles.

Still feels unique
By Kat Ann on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car, the smooth ride, shut down at stop lights, quiet but quick acceleration. I average 40 mpg. Toyota should say mileage will improve as car breaks in. In tough weather, mileage drops slightly in relation to use of defrost/air co. and unlike other hybrids does not shut off at stop lights! I came up a very ]steep hill w 6" snow and moving slowly I rode to the top without a problem. Narrow tires are stable in snow, not in mud. Would I buy it again? Definitely.