Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

Kansan loves the Prius
By Jerry N.

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After four and a half years of Prius ownership we have sold ours to our son and bought a new one. The only real failure we had with the 2002 model was a computer failure that was repaired under warranty. We really love the way the Prius educates you to be a more economical driver. Would I buy another? Already have!!

Fuel economy and display features. Comfort over long distances.

Prius review
By Prii_luver

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car get phenomenal gas mileage, looks good and is fun to drive for a small car. People are always surprised on how fast the car moves for a small car, it is not a race car, but the electric motor gives a lot of torque from a dead stop. I also have a feel good experience that I am not contributing to global warming and sending oil money to countries that hate us.

Gas mileage and driving around in stealth mode (electric mode) only.

Bigger arm rest in the center and standard cruise, had to purchase after market.

I love my Prius
By MaryBB

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Prius for two years now. I bought it used with only 18,000 miles on it. It handles the road well, with a minimum of turning base, and it takes these West Virginia hills like nothing. I would buy a new one because the seats in this one do not fold down, but it's been so good for me I hate to get rid of it.

It had the Navigator with it and I love that as an extra.

Low cost and fun too
By Mike Hahn

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. I will never buy another automobile. I have been in the mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina, and the plains of Illinois and have never had a problem. I just do the oil changes and tires and enjoy the ride. I average 48-55 mpg and have gotten up to 62 mpg in the city. What a feeling!!! Toyota!!!

The Lowest Polluting Car on the Plant
By cwlowry01

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a Toyota Prius not just because it gets good gas mileage but also because it is one of the lowest polluting production cars available. My MPG varies from 39.6 to 50.1 depending on the traffic conditions and my driving practices. The 50.1 was obtained while driving a steady 60-65 mph for a distance of 1000 miles. Given its size I also find it a surprisingly comfortable car to drive over long distances. I am less tired after driving for 8-10 hours than I have been in a standard size sedan. Also, it has all the creatures comforts you could want. This is especially true of the newer Prius'. One change I did make that improved the ride was to put on a set of 80,000 mile tires.

Low polluting, high MPG, low overall cost to own and operate, safety rating in its size class, smooth ride for its size, build quality.

Better acceleration - this has been improved in the newer models. It would be great if it could come as a plug in model as well. There are retrofits now but I would prefer one built by Toyota because of their reputation for quality. However, they state they do not intend to do this.