Used 2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

Unreliable
By bellmel5

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was very excited when I bought this car last November. It only had 24,000 miles with one owner. When I bought the car the dealership said they installed a brand new battery. After a month or two, the battery would not keep a charge. I had to go buy a battery charger (dealer suggestion) and now have to charge the car every other week or it won't start. The dash electronic system shows that the battery is being charged as I drive like normal. But, it won't hold the charge and drains VERY easily. The dealership won't do anything about it. Won't buy from them again. Normal battery cost $250-300! It has turned out to be a very unreliable car because I never know if it is going to start or not.

Gas mileage.

Air-conditioning blows warm air when the car turns over to electric. Unideal in 100 degree weather.

Another positive review
By George Roland

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been very happy with my 02 Prius. Good resale value! It's now 7 years old and running superbly. My MPG has been an average of 38 in the winter and 42 in the summer. This car really has to be serviced at the dealer. I went to Jiffy Lube for a radiator flush, and though they insisted they used the right fluid, they didn't and my car broke down. I had to replace the coolant reservoir ($600). My only other repair still needs to be done: the navigation system stopped working due to an electrical failure. All the other features of the display work (audio, trip computer, avg MPG, etc) The nav can be repaired for $600 refurbished or $4000 new but I think I will just buy a tomtom.

The car always starts and has very reliable/predictable ride and handling. The tech and interior creature comforts are very nice. VERY RELIABLE. Trunk space is fine. Upholstery is soft. Love driving on just battery power (infinite MPG :), it's possible up to 40 MPH once the engine is warm.

The ride/suspension is a little soft. Rear seats are fixed in place and front seats are not Volvo-supportive on long trips. I'm getting the itch to buy a more luxurious car, but I'm probably just taking for granted all the amazing features and incredible reliability of this car.

Disappointing
By shawn

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car used. Wonderful first year. Very happy and proud to drive this car. Saved a lot of money in gas. Only averaged 37 mpg, less than I thought. Then check engine light came on. Cost $1200 to replace 12 volt battery and brakes. 2 weeks later light came on again. Dealer service said codes indicated I need new main battery cost is $3600.00. Called back 2 days later was told problem wasn't battery but transaxle, new cost $4600.00. All the money I saved in gas is shot to hell in one repair. It is outrageously expensive to repair this car. No more Prius for me. I no longer have faith in the car or the techs ability to diagnose and solve problems.

Where do I begin. Driving a car for a year then being handed a bill for $4600.00 to fix things that in an ordinary car would be reasonable is... unreasonable.

What more could you ask for?
By USMC

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has everything you could want from a sedan--reliability, unreal MPG, and low maintenance costs. It's definitely not the sexiest thing out there, but the money saved on fuel could be spent on YOU instead of some oil exec's salary. The seats are a bit on the proletariat side, and you'll defeinitely notice their stiffness on longer commutes if you're used to leather seats. Overall, I love this car, and would reccommend it to anyone.

Fuel economy (mid 40s mpg), reliability, interior design, touch-screen LCD which shows your mpgs in real-time and 5-minute-increment bar-graphs,

Most of the problems with this car have been resolved with the new generation Prius, like the grotesque gear shifter and the Dodge Neon rear. I also have concerns about the long-term costs of potentially having to replace the entire battery pack, but it is under warranty for 100,000 miles.

Buying another Prius!
By Strico

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We do a lot of driving between towns in CT, and this has been a great car for that. We put about 20k miles/year on the car and have had zero problems. Our mileage has averaged between 42-50 mpg (more in summer, plus I have a tendency to speed). We're selling our '02 Prius, and have just bought an '05 Prius. We're loyal hybrid fans.