2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
Kansan loves the Prius
By Jerry N. on 12/18/06 14:18 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After four and a half years of Prius ownership we have sold ours to our son and bought a new one. The only real failure we had with the 2002 model was a computer failure that was repaired under warranty. We really love the way the Prius educates you to be a more economical driver. Would I buy another? Already have!!

Prius review
By Prii_luver on 10/27/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car get phenomenal gas mileage, looks good and is fun to drive for a small car. People are always surprised on how fast the car moves for a small car, it is not a race car, but the electric motor gives a lot of torque from a dead stop. I also have a feel good experience that I am not contributing to global warming and sending oil money to countries that hate us.

I love my Prius
By MaryBB on 08/30/06 18:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Prius for two years now. I bought it used with only 18,000 miles on it. It handles the road well, with a minimum of turning base, and it takes these West Virginia hills like nothing. I would buy a new one because the seats in this one do not fold down, but it's been so good for me I hate to get rid of it.

Low cost and fun too
By Mike Hahn on 08/03/06 12:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. I will never buy another automobile. I have been in the mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina, and the plains of Illinois and have never had a problem. I just do the oil changes and tires and enjoy the ride. I average 48-55 mpg and have gotten up to 62 mpg in the city. What a feeling!!! Toyota!!!

The Lowest Polluting Car on the Plant
By cwlowry01 on 06/06/06 08:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a Toyota Prius not just because it gets good gas mileage but also because it is one of the lowest polluting production cars available. My MPG varies from 39.6 to 50.1 depending on the traffic conditions and my driving practices. The 50.1 was obtained while driving a steady 60-65 mph for a distance of 1000 miles. Given its size I also find it a surprisingly comfortable car to drive over long distances. I am less tired after driving for 8-10 hours than I have been in a standard size sedan. Also, it has all the creatures comforts you could want. This is especially true of the newer Prius'. One change I did make that improved the ride was to put on a set of 80,000 mile tires.

Best choice (after the wife)
By Robert Stokes on 05/02/06 14:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think my Prius was truly the best auto I have purchased.This car has been much better than any talk I have heard. It gets great mileage 48 to 62 regularly, is very easy to drive and handles very well on the highway such as in the back draft of large trucks. I gave my 98 Toyota to my son and park my truck most of the time. I will buy another if this one wears out. The trouble is I like the sedan and all I see now are hatchbacks? Come on Toyota more sedans. I want a trunk. Robert

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By bratgirl on 09/09/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car handles like a dream! The fuel economy is terrific and I get so many comments from other people. Toyota has been fantastic in taking care of the only problem I have had with the car- the computer went out (probably due to very cold weather) and they were amazing! The car has had no problems since. I would have never written a review of any car I have owned in the past, but this little gem is super. I can't wait to get into a new one next year!

Wonderful Car
By Susan on 08/15/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2002 Prius is fabulous. I have owned it for 3 1/2 years with no problems. The car gives terrific gas mileage, steady, comfortable performance and excellent reliability.

Great Little Car
By RKendall48 on 07/18/05 08:54 AM (PDT)

Great little car that is fun to drive & gets great MPG..50+

Great Car
By Annette on 05/03/05 16:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I LOVE MY PRIUS and brag about it frequently to others. I bought it new and now have 81,000 miles on it. It still runs perfectly. The gas mileage is not as high as was advertised, but I still get 41 mpg even when running the ac or defrost. I was nervous about the reliability of the Hybrid System but I've had no battery problems. At 70k miles, Toyota replaced the computer chip (warranty) as I had a "Start Failure" warning light. It seems to have fixed the problem. Others comments are true re: wind resistance, poor tires, turning radius excellent for parallel parking, and computer screen making my foot lighter...