Used 2002 Toyota Prius Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )

Beware old Hybrid Battery
By ihtsjnellay

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used at a dealership and they checked everything else EXCEPT for the hybrid battery. Being a hybrid, and having 2 batteries could be a nightmare waiting to happen. I used it for 2 days and the 2nd day, on the way home from work on the freeway my car had stopped accelerating. The main battery light came up and I had to stop on the side of the road to start it up again. This happened 3 times, and I only live 10 mins away from my work. The cost to replace an old hybrid battery is 3000 for parts and 2000 for labor. BEWARE. Only the new Prius' are reliable considering this is the earliest of models.

109,300 miles, 11 years - reliable, but not as long lasting as other Toyota cars
By techguy5

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had this car since 2004 CPO buy -- early adopter on hybrid technology. Excellent reliability, with caveats. MPG ranged from 45 to 50 MPG in the first 4-5 years -- huge money saver for someone commuting in heavy Los Angeles traffic. Main hybrid battery replaced under warranty around 80K just under 10 year warranty; again replaced battery around 90K after replacement battery saw failed battery cell (replaced by Toyota out of warranty, no charge, for failure analysis @ factory). Currently getting 39 to 45 MPG -- but have had an unexplained failure to start. No other major repairs. Great car, but don't think will get it to the 250K+ you can get from other non-hybrid Toyotas.

Favorite Features

MPG still better than most out there. Very reliable until end of main battery life.

Suggested Improvements

Main battery very pricey if/when it fails. Limited cargo capacity and weight capacity. Low clearance especially on rough/dirt roads.

2002 Prius with 193,000 miles
By manatee624

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it new in June 2003. I'm amazed the car it still gives me 42-46 mpg each fill up in mixed city/highway driving in busy Miami traffic. This has been the most reliable car I have owned in 40 years of driving. Repairs so far: full brake job at 100,000 miles, replaced replaced rear wheel bearings at 155,000 miles, replaced ABS brake module and engine belt at 165,000 miles, replaced steering rack at 175,000 miles, added refrigerant gas to AC at 190,000 miles for the 1st time. As a preventive measure I also replace the small 12V battery every 3 years. The car is still running fine on the original high voltage battery. Everything thing else is original. I love it!

Favorite Features

Terrific car that just keeps purring along after 193,000 miles. It still drives and rides like when it was new - no exaggeration! Quieter than most conventional car inside the cabin, even at highway speeds (this 1st gen Prius is quieter and rides better that my wife's 2nd generation Prius). It's a great car for city driving (nimble with small turning circle). On the average I get about 42 mpg in city driving (with the AC on), about 55 mpg at a constant 55 mph, and about 44 mpg at a constant 70 mph.

Suggested Improvements

Low beam on headlights gives poor illumination. Thin floor carpet looks cheap.

02 PRIUS
By sstk100

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had the 02 Prius for about 2 years (our first Prius), and our experience has been great. In fact we bought an 08 Prius and gave the 02 to our son to drive to school. I expect we will always have Prius for the foreseeable future. Gas mileage is lower in winter (35-39), and as high as 48 mpg in summer on a 700 mile road trip. It's still weird when the engine shuts down when at a stop light....but that's just money in my pocket ! There have been zero-nada problems with anything. It just purrs along all the time. We like the 08 even better because Toyota updated many things like a a fold down rear seat, better stereo radio, and even more room in back seat.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage at 40-45 in normal driving. Another positive is the excellent room in the car (for a small car) Very dependable! The standard features (power locks, windows, stereo, outside temp, etc are nice in base package) Resale value.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seats. Small 12v battery should be up front under the hood, so it would warm up in the winter, when driving. (That might help some of the starting issues when cold) The 03 isn't the most stylish car on the road.

Lasted till all the batteries went
By Jo Ann

2002 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got good mileage. then a few months back the steering wheel went out = $!,000. Then yesterday all the engine warning lights came on = $3,100 for batteries - can't sell the car now!