2002 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (76 reviews )
Beware old Hybrid Battery
By ihtsjnellay on 08/21/13 14:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used at a dealership and they checked everything else EXCEPT for the hybrid battery. Being a hybrid, and having 2 batteries could be a nightmare waiting to happen. I used it for 2 days and the 2nd day, on the way home from work on the freeway my car had stopped accelerating. The main battery light came up and I had to stop on the side of the road to start it up again. This happened 3 times, and I only live 10 mins away from my work. The cost to replace an old hybrid battery is 3000 for parts and 2000 for labor. BEWARE. Only the new Prius' are reliable considering this is the earliest of models.

109,300 miles, 11 years - reliable, but not as long lasting as other Toyota cars
By techguy5 on 03/08/13 12:12 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had this car since 2004 CPO buy -- early adopter on hybrid technology. Excellent reliability, with caveats. MPG ranged from 45 to 50 MPG in the first 4-5 years -- huge money saver for someone commuting in heavy Los Angeles traffic. Main hybrid battery replaced under warranty around 80K just under 10 year warranty; again replaced battery around 90K after replacement battery saw failed battery cell (replaced by Toyota out of warranty, no charge, for failure analysis @ factory). Currently getting 39 to 45 MPG -- but have had an unexplained failure to start. No other major repairs. Great car, but don't think will get it to the 250K+ you can get from other non-hybrid Toyotas.

2002 Prius with 193,000 miles
By manatee624 on 07/03/12 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it new in June 2003. I'm amazed the car it still gives me 42-46 mpg each fill up in mixed city/highway driving in busy Miami traffic. This has been the most reliable car I have owned in 40 years of driving. Repairs so far: full brake job at 100,000 miles, replaced replaced rear wheel bearings at 155,000 miles, replaced ABS brake module and engine belt at 165,000 miles, replaced steering rack at 175,000 miles, added refrigerant gas to AC at 190,000 miles for the 1st time. As a preventive measure I also replace the small 12V battery every 3 years. The car is still running fine on the original high voltage battery. Everything thing else is original. I love it!

02 PRIUS
By sstk100 on 03/26/11 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had the 02 Prius for about 2 years (our first Prius), and our experience has been great. In fact we bought an 08 Prius and gave the 02 to our son to drive to school. I expect we will always have Prius for the foreseeable future. Gas mileage is lower in winter (35-39), and as high as 48 mpg in summer on a 700 mile road trip. It's still weird when the engine shuts down when at a stop light....but that's just money in my pocket ! There have been zero-nada problems with anything. It just purrs along all the time. We like the 08 even better because Toyota updated many things like a a fold down rear seat, better stereo radio, and even more room in back seat.

Lasted till all the batteries went
By Jo Ann on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got good mileage. then a few months back the steering wheel went out = $!,000. Then yesterday all the engine warning lights came on = $3,100 for batteries - can't sell the car now!

Unreliable
By bellmel5 on 08/06/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was very excited when I bought this car last November. It only had 24,000 miles with one owner. When I bought the car the dealership said they installed a brand new battery. After a month or two, the battery would not keep a charge. I had to go buy a battery charger (dealer suggestion) and now have to charge the car every other week or it won't start. The dash electronic system shows that the battery is being charged as I drive like normal. But, it won't hold the charge and drains VERY easily. The dealership won't do anything about it. Won't buy from them again. Normal battery cost $250-300! It has turned out to be a very unreliable car because I never know if it is going to start or not.

Another positive review
By George Roland on 07/26/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been very happy with my 02 Prius. Good resale value! It's now 7 years old and running superbly. My MPG has been an average of 38 in the winter and 42 in the summer. This car really has to be serviced at the dealer. I went to Jiffy Lube for a radiator flush, and though they insisted they used the right fluid, they didn't and my car broke down. I had to replace the coolant reservoir ($600). My only other repair still needs to be done: the navigation system stopped working due to an electrical failure. All the other features of the display work (audio, trip computer, avg MPG, etc) The nav can be repaired for $600 refurbished or $4000 new but I think I will just buy a tomtom.

Disappointing
By shawn on 04/24/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car used. Wonderful first year. Very happy and proud to drive this car. Saved a lot of money in gas. Only averaged 37 mpg, less than I thought. Then check engine light came on. Cost $1200 to replace 12 volt battery and brakes. 2 weeks later light came on again. Dealer service said codes indicated I need new main battery cost is $3600.00. Called back 2 days later was told problem wasn't battery but transaxle, new cost $4600.00. All the money I saved in gas is shot to hell in one repair. It is outrageously expensive to repair this car. No more Prius for me. I no longer have faith in the car or the techs ability to diagnose and solve problems.

What more could you ask for?
By USMC on 10/06/07 02:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has everything you could want from a sedan--reliability, unreal MPG, and low maintenance costs. It's definitely not the sexiest thing out there, but the money saved on fuel could be spent on YOU instead of some oil exec's salary. The seats are a bit on the proletariat side, and you'll defeinitely notice their stiffness on longer commutes if you're used to leather seats. Overall, I love this car, and would reccommend it to anyone.

Buying another Prius!
By Strico on 03/22/07 07:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We do a lot of driving between towns in CT, and this has been a great car for that. We put about 20k miles/year on the car and have had zero problems. Our mileage has averaged between 42-50 mpg (more in summer, plus I have a tendency to speed). We're selling our '02 Prius, and have just bought an '05 Prius. We're loyal hybrid fans.