2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: I Adore This Car

2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

I Adore This Car
By joy2drive on

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned my Prius for 3.5 yrs and put 55,000 miles on it. The reason...it's a joy2drive! There is a 140 mile stretch of 2 lane highway on the way to Mom's place. I pass everything with ease and avg 45 MPG combined. Of course MPGs are highly effected by head/tail winds, temps below 30 degrees, and driver "hybridability". My son has a hybrid touch (put 126K miles on an Insight). He can make my 45mpg go straight up to 60-75mpg (city). Only problems I've had are the main warning indicator appears periodically on the screen and clears itself and the 12 volt battery drains periodically (both are mysteries). Great Car Overall!!

Favorite Features

MPGs. 4cyl with power for the passing lane. Cuts off gas engine at stops and runs on electric in traffic jams. Boots-up without a starter. Interior comfort for a small car. Reliability so far.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better 12volt battery (I placed a solar panel battery charger from Walmart in my back window deck which seems to help), Increased tire size, Cup holder that holds a cup, Better road noise/rear wheel wells insulation, Better front tire wear.