2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Best car I have owned.

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Review

Best car I have owned.
By JR on

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought one of the first Prius cars in the Seattle area. It has been an outstanding car, very reliable and extremely fuel efficient. I have had no serious problems with this car and have it routinely serviced at a Toyota dealership. This first generation Prius fits 4 adults easily and can take my family of 4 and their luggage on a week long road trip. Gas mileage ranges from the low 40s in stop and go traffic to the high 40s on long highway trips. This car is still going strong and I plan to give it to my now 16 yo daughter in a year or two.

The hybrid drive system has caused me no problems and provides quiet electric only power cruising at low speeds though our neighborhood which continues to strike awe with onlookers. The nerd styling is a plus!

A future generation Prius could perhaps be even more efficient with a diesel-electric hybrid. For those of us who travel in snow country, an AWD version would be cool even though mpg would suffer some.