Used 2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )

Disposable Vehicle
By Mary Mendence

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have not had good experience with this vehicle. I had intial problems with this vehicle that were minor but irritating. It took two years for a service tech to figure them out. I had the inverter replaced at 92K miles. It was covered undered warranty but I was quoted 7K for the repair had I have to do it myself. At 122K miles I had the main computer replaced at $1,250 and it is in the shop now for a trans axle and another inverter replacement. Total repair costs are $12,000 and I was advised to junk the car. I was also told that it had $0 trade-in value and now I have no car and nothing to sell. What I think happend is that something was wrong and further research indicated motor windings and thats what burned out parts. What they did was replace the burned out parts without fixing the real problem. Now they tell me to junk the car because it is out of warranty. I don't believe in Toyota.

Great car
By Bas

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is just great. Fuel consumption is excellent. The car has enough power for everyday use. All our friends are very positive about this car. Only bad thing is that you can't tow anything.

Favorite Features

Fuel consumption!

Suggested Improvements

none

Driving on Empty
By Tammy

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What more can I say, I got this car to save gas and thats what it's doing! And it has the Toyota name to back up the reliability! I've owned 4 Toyota's now (still have 3 of them). I did trade my Matrix in for the 2001 Prius.

Favorite Features

The quietness!

Suggested Improvements

Beings mine is a 2001 I'm sure the newer ones have a few more storage caddy's

Outstanding Car
By drdmoore

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used with 15,000 miles and have put 5,000 miles on it in 2 months. This is an outstanding car. It rides like a much larger vehicle and is "substantial" in it feel. I'm averaging between 46-52 miles/gallon on mostly highway driving. I recommend this car highly!

Favorite Features

Navigational system, climate control, solidness of car.

Suggested Improvements

Height adjustment on drivers seat (I use seat cushion to achieve best height for me).

I love this car.
By Jan

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am 56 years old and this is the first car I have ever loved. I am proud to be driving it. My average mileage over 86,000 miles is 49.2 and I have not had to replace the battery. Keeping the right tire pressure makes a difference of 2-3 mpg. It has plenty of pep on the highway, feels solid in the wind and on wet pavement, and will cruise at 70 mph. It is maneuverable in traffic and parking. It is bigger inside that it looks. Four ride comfortably. I have had almost no trouble with it. The warranty was generous and Toyota's service has been superb before and after the warranty expired. The 2005 has some nice features and a bit better mileage but I do not want a hatchback.

Favorite Features

The self righteousness of driving a hybrid is sublime but, if I had to pick a single tangible feature, it would be the consumption screen that displays a bar graph of average mileage over five minute intervals. It will make you very lightfooted.

Suggested Improvements

The audio controls are spread out awkwardly on the dash. The steering wheel blocks the driver's view of some controls. I'd like a cell phone holder somewhere-- nothing fancy, not a charger or a speaker, just a small bin on the dash or pouch on the side of the seat so I can find it in the dark.