2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )
Yahooo!
By beczter on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car to own. Not only is it fun to drive with suprisingly good pick-up on freeways, it's gas mileage makes me smile as I see all of the hefty SUV's filling up at the station. If you are a commuter, this is the perfect vehicle. And you will waste no fuel when sitting in stopped traffic! This car requires the same maintenance as any other non-hybrid.

Car of the Future Now
By James O. Berkland on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our 2001 Prius was a pleasant surprise on our initial test drive when it was a loaner while our Lexus was being serviced. Now my wife leaves the Lexus in the garage and we argue over who gets to drive the Prius. Day in and day out we average about 48 mpg, but occasionally get up to 54 mpg. Love the headroom, comfortable seats, quiet running and the CD sound system. At the Sonoma 4th of July parade in 2002 the 12 Prius cars won first place for the motorized division. In 2003 the 14 Prius cars took 2nd in the theme division, which was Pro-Environment.

Wonderful 2001 Toyota Prius
By Breathe-easier on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Why more people are not buying these is beyond me. A wonderful, reliable car. Nice to pass by the gas pumps and laugh.

I love it!
By David Block on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When you are sit at a red light, the internal combustion engine stops and you run just on electricity! It's like a golf cart. The car gives the feeling that it has stalled out, but it is fully functional! I LOVE that! I also love that if you run the car in Los Angeles, the exhaust is cleaner than the ambient air!!!! Not a month goes by that some stranger stops me and asks how I love it. And I do. It's a brilliant concept. They do it very well. Oil changes are every 7500 miles, and Toyota has paid for every one of mine. The only thing I have ever paid for is a new set of tires.

Wow, is this a great car!
By O Picher on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned this car for nearly 3 years now, and I just love it. A mini Lexus in its interior styling. Well- engineered and runs like a top. The acceleration is impressive (it has two engines, after all). Floor it, and leave the other cars in the dust. As for the eco-side of this, all I can say is this: once you sit at a stop light, with your car being dead quiet, you notice all the other cars around you still belching out exhaust. All cars should be this way. I wouldn't recommend it as a first car, but it has made a great second car.

Everyone should drive a Prius!
By Pheebie on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. I average 49 mpg and can zip anywhere (and no, I never have to "plug in"... this must be the biggest misconception about hybrid cards). And it's FAST! I once got a ticket for going 90+. Not that I endorse that... but it proves the Prius is peppy. Not to mention, Toyota pays for ALL regular maintenence. I haven't had to put an extra dime into my car. Do one for the planet. Buy a Prius!!

A great little car
By DSIEGER on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nothing but good vibes from owning and operating this car. It handles very nicely and draws a lot of attention from other drives. Both my wife and I love it.

A great car for the enthusiast
By cmarslett on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In many ways this is just a nice family car, in spite of its novel design. It uses mostly stock components, so maintenance is less of an issue that you would think. On the other hand, it really is a car for the next century -- a hybrid gasoline/electric design that has great accelleration for a 48 mpg car (but not to be compared with a 360 ci V8, of course). After 2 years I'm out $0 other than car payments, gasoline and one set of tires.

Drives just like a normal 5 person sedan
By charliej0hns0n on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You never have to plug it in. This car is fast, safe, reliable and fun to drive. It seats five persons. It handles just like a normal five person sedan but it get about 45 mpg. I tend to drive around 75 - 80 mph on California freeways to keep up in the fast lane, so my mpg is a bit less than some people get. I've taken the Prius to Tahoe, Mt. Hood, Death Valley, Mt. Shasta, Joshua Tree, LA, San Diego, San Francisco. It's great in the snow, desert and everything inbetween. SUV's must hate it when I take 'em at stop signs and red lights, or pass them on the highway uphill.

Full Warranty Coverage Hedges Risk
By scro on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

01' vehicle purchased was manufactured 05/00 and presently has 34,000 miles. Toyota servicing of vehicle is good and everything is covered, including tires and oil changes. About 1/2 the fuel efficiency in first 5 minutes of driving. In longer commutes fuel economy increases significantly. Excellant acceleration due to extra 70 horsepower electric engine that will simmultaneously engage with 1.5 liter gas engine. Car will run over 100 mph even on an uphill incline. Best tank of gas went 630 miles or about 57mpg. The extra weight of car due to hybrid technology makes car ride like a larger car and has good manuverability even at faster speeds.