2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )
Still Love It
By teryev on 11/11/04 08:35 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than the radio control button being too small and tires that are not up to the braking and corning ability of this vehicle, it is still awesome. I have averaged 51.4 mpg since taking ownership.

Park Your Prius
By peg dietz on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A great city car. Extremely quiet. Incredibly easy to park with its short length and tight turning radius. Also fine on the highway.

My Toyota Prius
By Lindley on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Even though I've only had my Prius for a relatively short term, I know already that I made the right choice.

Very Cool Car!
By JBL8686 on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I felt good buying this car because of all of the environmental stuff but I really just wanted something that was reliable and had good gas mileage. What I got was much much more. Thanks Toyota for such a great experiance.

Best Car I have owned
By geroge on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is an experience. I had been gett blaise about cars. This one I love. But it isn't about performance or interior comfort. It is about doing the right thing for our lungs, our country and the planet. Cut smog, reduce use of non-renewable resources, save money, and enjoy it.

One of first ones bought.
By Ken Jacobi on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car has done great and we average 46 to 48 mpg overall mileage. The only problem we have had is with tires. They have not held up well at all however Toyoto has replaced them twice at no charge trying to find the problem.

Problematic
By SoCaluser on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've owned lots of Toyotas and usually expect high reliability from the company. The 2001 Prius hasn't met that expectation. Our car has been the shop every couple of months with lots of problems including: tires wearing out, steering column noise, battery dying, mysterious engine stalls, electrical problems that disabled the radio and assorted other nagging things. We've been quite surprise by the severity of the problems and the inability of Toyota to diagnose and fix them. Presumably, the newer version of the Prius have worked through the problems. But the 2001 was been a disappointment.

Excellent vehicle!
By compcoprinting on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Super car! Fun to own and drive. Averages 50-55 mpg in warm weather and around 40 in winter(in the northeast). Starts well in frigid weather and handles well on snow and ice. Comfortable on long trips--easy on the back. Easy for handicapped individuals to enter and exit.

Sparky
By Gary Sanchez on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is a wonder! I have not had one single problem with this vehicle. The quality of the fit and finish is second to none. The economy and ecology are more advanced than most cars on the road today. Once you drive it you begin to drive wonder why this technology hasn't become common with more vehicles on the road today. When in stop and go traffic with only the electric motor on, you understand just how wasteful gas only cars are. I have 75000+ miles on this car and will buy the 2004 Prius with every option I can get.

Prius Fan
By dutch2 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A well built Sedan (as usual from Toyota. The gas milage is great, exceleration for passing is more than enough, and handling in the city is perfect. On the highway you have to stay alert because the steering is quick and the vehicle is light so the wind effects. A great car to drive on the back roads. My MPG average is 42.5 mixed city and highway.