Used 2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )

Sell at 100K!!!
By ecoman

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our Prius drove fairly well for the first 100K+ miles. Then trouble started. Recently, the warning triangle came on, and as instructed in the manual, we took it to the dealer repair shop. They didn't know what to do based on the computer scan and Toyota HQ told them to clear the codes and test drive it. They did, but a few miles later on the way home, the warning came on again! I quickly returned to the shop. Then I was told the part I needed would be $4K+ with many hrs of labor. I said no and am driving the car with the warning still on. They'd only give me $2K trade in, so we kept it and bought a Chevy Cobalt. Had I to do it again, I'd sell it at 100K miles!

Favorite Features

Good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Most of our concerns have been met in later models.

A great car
By Jimvan

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own one of the first Priuses delivered in the USA, and at 178,000 miles it is still a joy to drive. I am continually amazed at its reliability, gas mileage, emissions control, regenerative braking, power, and handling. Toyota "hit a home run" with this model. I do keep up the maintenance with 7,500 mile synthetic oil changes, and parts replacements when necessary. I expect 300,000 miles from this car.

Favorite Features

Great emissions control. Original brakes still at 60% due to great regenerative braking which slows the car without intensive brake use, excellent power to pass and accelerate for such a gas saving car.

Suggested Improvements

Electric seat adjustment (available on newer models). Fold down rear seating (now available).

My 2001 California Prius
By THendren

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 110K miles, I am impressed with my classic Prius even before buying it. It is more fun to drive since I replaced the tires (52k miles, 2 sets) with a stiffer brand (67k miles one set). Brakes (still at 60%) should last 200,000 miles. Early on needed computer replaced, no problems now. Have taken two 4,000 plus mile trips with mpg at 44 each. I can sit in the back seat with head clearance. Fully expect the car and battery to last 300k. We like this model better than the 2004 version but am waiting for the 94mpg version due next year.

Favorite Features

7500 mile oil changes (not even dirty). Drives cross country easily. Easy 400 miles per tank unless driving 80+. Slow driving gets up to 75mpg. Crosses desert in summer fine (keeps cool).

Suggested Improvements

Headlights do not 'beam' to see in the distance, but fuzz out closer than other cars. Lumbar for seats. Electric adjustment seats Ok too. Both versions are difficult to see out the back window.

2001 Prius
By Kent

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This model of car has some major issues which will become increasingly apparent as it ages. Advice: don't give a review on this car until you have owned it for more than six months. Toyota does not stand behind the warranties on this model of car and tries to weasel out of repairs--this is from a 30+ year Toyota owner. It should have been recalled for defective rack and pinion steering (same as in the later models), inverter and computer problems and accelerator pedal assembly--all very expensive problems to repair. After having owned this car for one year, with two months spent in the repair shop, negotiating with Toyota, I cwill not purchase another Toyota car. Advice: stay away!

Suggested Improvements

Better Toyota admission of problems with this vehicle and more recalls.

2001 prius
By donna

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my baby prius. It is fun to drive, fun to play with the computer screen, and it is fun to pass up the gas stations. It had some major problems when I first got it, but the dealership was very good at fixing the issues. My next car will be a prius.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the back seat be able to fold down to give me more room to haul things.