2001 Toyota Prius Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )
Sell at 100K!!!
By ecoman on 01/06/09 18:03 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our Prius drove fairly well for the first 100K+ miles. Then trouble started. Recently, the warning triangle came on, and as instructed in the manual, we took it to the dealer repair shop. They didn't know what to do based on the computer scan and Toyota HQ told them to clear the codes and test drive it. They did, but a few miles later on the way home, the warning came on again! I quickly returned to the shop. Then I was told the part I needed would be $4K+ with many hrs of labor. I said no and am driving the car with the warning still on. They'd only give me $2K trade in, so we kept it and bought a Chevy Cobalt. Had I to do it again, I'd sell it at 100K miles!

A great car
By Jimvan on 10/18/07 15:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own one of the first Priuses delivered in the USA, and at 178,000 miles it is still a joy to drive. I am continually amazed at its reliability, gas mileage, emissions control, regenerative braking, power, and handling. Toyota "hit a home run" with this model. I do keep up the maintenance with 7,500 mile synthetic oil changes, and parts replacements when necessary. I expect 300,000 miles from this car.

My 2001 California Prius
By THendren on 10/02/06 23:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 110K miles, I am impressed with my classic Prius even before buying it. It is more fun to drive since I replaced the tires (52k miles, 2 sets) with a stiffer brand (67k miles one set). Brakes (still at 60%) should last 200,000 miles. Early on needed computer replaced, no problems now. Have taken two 4,000 plus mile trips with mpg at 44 each. I can sit in the back seat with head clearance. Fully expect the car and battery to last 300k. We like this model better than the 2004 version but am waiting for the 94mpg version due next year.

2001 Prius
By Kent on 09/20/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This model of car has some major issues which will become increasingly apparent as it ages. Advice: don't give a review on this car until you have owned it for more than six months. Toyota does not stand behind the warranties on this model of car and tries to weasel out of repairs--this is from a 30+ year Toyota owner. It should have been recalled for defective rack and pinion steering (same as in the later models), inverter and computer problems and accelerator pedal assembly--all very expensive problems to repair. After having owned this car for one year, with two months spent in the repair shop, negotiating with Toyota, I cwill not purchase another Toyota car. Advice: stay away!

2001 prius
By donna on 07/13/06 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my baby prius. It is fun to drive, fun to play with the computer screen, and it is fun to pass up the gas stations. It had some major problems when I first got it, but the dealership was very good at fixing the issues. My next car will be a prius.

Disposable Vehicle
By Mary Mendence on 03/18/06 19:20 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have not had good experience with this vehicle. I had intial problems with this vehicle that were minor but irritating. It took two years for a service tech to figure them out. I had the inverter replaced at 92K miles. It was covered undered warranty but I was quoted 7K for the repair had I have to do it myself. At 122K miles I had the main computer replaced at $1,250 and it is in the shop now for a trans axle and another inverter replacement. Total repair costs are $12,000 and I was advised to junk the car. I was also told that it had $0 trade-in value and now I have no car and nothing to sell. What I think happend is that something was wrong and further research indicated motor windings and thats what burned out parts. What they did was replace the burned out parts without fixing the real problem. Now they tell me to junk the car because it is out of warranty. I don't believe in Toyota.

Great car
By Bas on 07/25/05 08:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is just great. Fuel consumption is excellent. The car has enough power for everyday use. All our friends are very positive about this car. Only bad thing is that you can't tow anything.

Driving on Empty
By Tammy on 07/18/05 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What more can I say, I got this car to save gas and thats what it's doing! And it has the Toyota name to back up the reliability! I've owned 4 Toyota's now (still have 3 of them). I did trade my Matrix in for the 2001 Prius.

Outstanding Car
By drdmoore on 04/10/05 07:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used with 15,000 miles and have put 5,000 miles on it in 2 months. This is an outstanding car. It rides like a much larger vehicle and is "substantial" in it feel. I'm averaging between 46-52 miles/gallon on mostly highway driving. I recommend this car highly!

I love this car.
By Jan on 02/15/05 20:01 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am 56 years old and this is the first car I have ever loved. I am proud to be driving it. My average mileage over 86,000 miles is 49.2 and I have not had to replace the battery. Keeping the right tire pressure makes a difference of 2-3 mpg. It has plenty of pep on the highway, feels solid in the wind and on wet pavement, and will cruise at 70 mph. It is maneuverable in traffic and parking. It is bigger inside that it looks. Four ride comfortably. I have had almost no trouble with it. The warranty was generous and Toyota's service has been superb before and after the warranty expired. The 2005 has some nice features and a bit better mileage but I do not want a hatchback.