2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )
Not worth it
By photo123 on 11/24/11 10:12 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To buy a new hybrid is OK if parts are under warranty. It seems that the HV battery (High Voltage batter) at a cost of $4000.00 installed dies after 8 years and around 150,000km . Just when the warranty dies. Hmmmm!! The car is nice to drive, but, so is a Elantra and the Elantra is way more reliable and coat effective to fix for the same year. Then there is the converter!!! Another $4000.00!! Please read carefully the reports about the 1 gen Prius. The HV battery will go on you and they were a poor quality. If you are buying a Prius to save the planet, forget it! The cost and consumables related to keeping it going including maintenance and repairs will far out weigh the savings.

Decent car
By norcal prius on 08/11/10 17:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car at 75K miles, now have 115K miles on it. During this time, all the car has needed is gas, tires and oil changes. Only problem encountered is when I start the car, if I have the AC or Defrost on high, the gas engine sometimes conks out and I get the "triangle" warning. I turn off the car, wait a minute and then it is fine, triangle is gone.

The lIttle Prius that Could
By MikeyA on 08/01/10 14:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I bought our 2001 Prius in December of 2009 knowing we were buying a car with 90K miles on it. It now has 130K on and it running great with few problems at all. It's far more reliable and cheaper to repair than the BMW we sold to buy it. Of course the quality of the plastics inside the car leave a lot to be desired, I guess you can't expect too much for the price of these cars. The hybrid part is really great but I hope they've improved "kicking" the engine does when it turns on at a stop. It's very abrupt.

9/10
By Katrina on 04/26/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my prius for about 4 years now. When I bought it I had to fix a few problems with it but since the car has been wonderful. I read a lot of comments about catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. I am also having problems with that, but I am convinced that in the 2001 that is one of few problems with the vehicle. I now have 227,000 miles on my car and she is still runnning great! My advice is to take good car of your prius, fix the minor problems... DON'T PAY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to the dealer for parts, buy them online or from junk yards and the fix up won't be so pricey and your car will run for years!

Best car I have owned.
By JR on 01/17/10 12:28 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought one of the first Prius cars in the Seattle area. It has been an outstanding car, very reliable and extremely fuel efficient. I have had no serious problems with this car and have it routinely serviced at a Toyota dealership. This first generation Prius fits 4 adults easily and can take my family of 4 and their luggage on a week long road trip. Gas mileage ranges from the low 40s in stop and go traffic to the high 40s on long highway trips. This car is still going strong and I plan to give it to my now 16 yo daughter in a year or two.

At 94k, it's still like new
By A very good Car on 09/25/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought in 2005 with 45K when I bought several new cars for my company at a Toyota dealership. I wanted a used Prius because I did not want my wife to get a new one and dislike it. She likes it because it is easy to drive in town and averages 45 MPG. I like it because I fill it up every three weeks. Recently, we got the "Triangle of Death" after replacing the 12V battery. Had it towed to the dealer and was informed that we needed a new traction battery. Bad news, $4,698.00 for the new battery & the good news is; Toyota picked up the tab including the towing. There are many expensive components on these cars and if they go south, you could pay but right now, it's a great car to own.

Prius after 100k Miles... STAY AWAY!
By Alert Toyota Prius! on 08/04/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a "Preowned Certified" Toyota Prius 5 years ago with 30K miles on, my car has now 115,000, the ECU went 3 times already, the ECM and the catalytic converter need to be replaced. Anyone out there with a Prius.... Good Luck! What I saved on gas all these years I'm paying on parts, I can't wait to get rid of this car.

I Adore This Car
By joy2drive on 06/25/09 21:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned my Prius for 3.5 yrs and put 55,000 miles on it. The reason...it's a joy2drive! There is a 140 mile stretch of 2 lane highway on the way to Mom's place. I pass everything with ease and avg 45 MPG combined. Of course MPGs are highly effected by head/tail winds, temps below 30 degrees, and driver "hybridability". My son has a hybrid touch (put 126K miles on an Insight). He can make my 45mpg go straight up to 60-75mpg (city). Only problems I've had are the main warning indicator appears periodically on the screen and clears itself and the 12 volt battery drains periodically (both are mysteries). Great Car Overall!!

I love it, very dependable
By Ttommmeee on 06/19/09 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 147,000 miles on mine and am very happy. On trips we get 43mpg and often average 40 and up to 65 according to the road and traffic. Driving a whole day without filling up is also fun. It is EXTREMELY quiet, I didn't like the 4 cylinder vibration at idle on the other cars, there is none on this one. All issues were covered by the warranty, the gas tank, computer systems and steering were replaced under warranty (even after it was expired). I never replaced the fuel rheostat and it somehow fixed itself. Oil just never gets dirty. 7500 miles + works fine for me. I always take it to the dealer. Maintenance is less than any other car I have owned. It is just KOOL!!

Mixed bag - I would still buy another one
By CleanFuelVirginia on 06/08/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had relatively few problems and the trouble with the car is that after 100K the service departments do not care about the car and have thrice given me careless and wrong diagnosis of the troubles I have had with the battery depleting while I am driving. It will simply stop in the middle of a journey. It's worse in city traffic. The other issue to my mind is that the mileage is no great shakes. I get maximum 50 miles per gallon. I remember in the 70's that many cars were small and getting gas mileage that was over 40mpg. So young people- don't be taken in by the hype. Get a smaller car.