Used 2001 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (54 reviews )

Not worth it
By photo123

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To buy a new hybrid is OK if parts are under warranty. It seems that the HV battery (High Voltage batter) at a cost of $4000.00 installed dies after 8 years and around 150,000km . Just when the warranty dies. Hmmmm!! The car is nice to drive, but, so is a Elantra and the Elantra is way more reliable and coat effective to fix for the same year. Then there is the converter!!! Another $4000.00!! Please read carefully the reports about the 1 gen Prius. The HV battery will go on you and they were a poor quality. If you are buying a Prius to save the planet, forget it! The cost and consumables related to keeping it going including maintenance and repairs will far out weigh the savings.

Decent car
By norcal prius

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car at 75K miles, now have 115K miles on it. During this time, all the car has needed is gas, tires and oil changes. Only problem encountered is when I start the car, if I have the AC or Defrost on high, the gas engine sometimes conks out and I get the "triangle" warning. I turn off the car, wait a minute and then it is fine, triangle is gone.

Favorite Features

MPG display. Low brake wear, creeping up on people w/ the electric motor on.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure what the problem above means. A little scared to find out. Other than that, the center arm rest is way too low, nowhere to rest my right arm. No where comfortable to rest my left arm either. Since it is FWD, there is no where to rest my right leg on while driving either. Improve comfort.

The lIttle Prius that Could
By MikeyA

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I bought our 2001 Prius in December of 2009 knowing we were buying a car with 90K miles on it. It now has 130K on and it running great with few problems at all. It's far more reliable and cheaper to repair than the BMW we sold to buy it. Of course the quality of the plastics inside the car leave a lot to be desired, I guess you can't expect too much for the price of these cars. The hybrid part is really great but I hope they've improved "kicking" the engine does when it turns on at a stop. It's very abrupt.

Favorite Features

Pretty good MPG (we average around 40) and the seating position is actually very good for a car like this. Although sitting in it reminds me of the old AMC Pacer with its fish bowl windows.

Suggested Improvements

1) Cup Holders, what is up with that! 2) Lumbar Support - not much there. 3) The shifter for this car is just about 9 out of 10 on my weird o'meter scale. It blocks radio controls and is just poorly placed. 4) Gas Gauge! wow, don't rely on this (as others have said) go 300 miles,

9/10
By Katrina

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my prius for about 4 years now. When I bought it I had to fix a few problems with it but since the car has been wonderful. I read a lot of comments about catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. I am also having problems with that, but I am convinced that in the 2001 that is one of few problems with the vehicle. I now have 227,000 miles on my car and she is still runnning great! My advice is to take good car of your prius, fix the minor problems... DON'T PAY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to the dealer for parts, buy them online or from junk yards and the fix up won't be so pricey and your car will run for years!

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors need improved quality in upcoming models.

Best car I have owned.
By JR

2001 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought one of the first Prius cars in the Seattle area. It has been an outstanding car, very reliable and extremely fuel efficient. I have had no serious problems with this car and have it routinely serviced at a Toyota dealership. This first generation Prius fits 4 adults easily and can take my family of 4 and their luggage on a week long road trip. Gas mileage ranges from the low 40s in stop and go traffic to the high 40s on long highway trips. This car is still going strong and I plan to give it to my now 16 yo daughter in a year or two.

Favorite Features

The hybrid drive system has caused me no problems and provides quiet electric only power cruising at low speeds though our neighborhood which continues to strike awe with onlookers. The nerd styling is a plus!

Suggested Improvements

A future generation Prius could perhaps be even more efficient with a diesel-electric hybrid. For those of us who travel in snow country, an AWD version would be cool even though mpg would suffer some.