2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Prius-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

2013 Prius v Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
prius V level five
By serejka4992

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Really good car have 10600 on it so far had first oil change my mg for far 39 in average.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, roomy, headlight very bright

Suggested Improvements

can lock car while running, why do i have spray wash for headlight, will not work with my windows phone.

11 month Owner Review
By myron9

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius V poses the following suggestion by Toyota: Reliability being the cardinal feature, you are going to have to make significant compromises, but still pay the big bucks for some kind of a vinyl interior and a paper thin shell, because it is a Toyota and the general consensus is a Prius will still get you there the vast majority of the time without hiccups and do so without the mandatory toll on the pocketbook from exorbitant gas prices. The vehicle gets a poor safety rating from the IIHS, so regardless of whatever merits the Prius V may or may not possess, you might still get there, but without legs or head intact.

Favorite Features

The Prius V has a dampened and a reasonably comfortable ride that reminds this driver of the Citroens and Peugeots of the past. The vehicle is however definitely a two-hander. Both hands must be on the steering wheel at all times. Gas mileage in this vehicle is not as indicated by Toyota. 44 mpg is definitely a rarity for this vehicle in any driving condition. 25 to 35 mpg is more realistic.

Suggested Improvements

The Prius V suffers steering track problems. The car waivers too easily down the straight path. Must keep both hands on steering wheel at all times. Requires a great deal of attention at all times to prevent the steering from heading the car in unpredictable directions. The rear axle length is disproportionately long enough that scraping the rear right wheel against street curbs on turns is virtually guaranteed. The vehicle has poor driver visibility all around. Glare from the massive dashboard cover is unacceptable. Controls on steering wheel are not terribly functional where it counts, such as changing a radio station requiring the driver to reach across the dash to turn the knob.

Awesome economical utility wagon
By strangefingers

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So Prius v wagon or Jetta diesel wagon... though generally I much prefer Germanic driving dynamics, dollars and sense said same mileage with regular gas vs high cost of diesel fuel and likely lower maintenance costs. Thus the Prius. Handling was below par and crosswinds/truck buffeting was downright scary at times. Without going crazy, for less than $800 complete, a Cusco rear sway bar, Tanabe front and rear springs (10% +/- stiffer and less than an inch lower) with 7mm wheel spacers in front and 5 mm in the rear and the little golf cart that couldn't became the go cart that could! Stable at all speeds, cruising "sweet spot" on secondary roads and highway rose 10 mph comfortably. Awesome!

Favorite Features

Twice the mileage of my 5 series BMW wagon. Incredibly roomy with outstanding cargo space. A true feat of packaging space into a small(ish) vehicle. Though utilitarian looking, the seats are comfortable for long hauls. Ingress/egress is easy with a large wide and tall door opening (no head bumping!) Startling rear legroom with rear seats fore and aft travel of over 7 inches! Plenty of front seat travel and head room for us taller folks.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch Toyota Entunes and the on board computer... proper function and user friendliness are non existent. How about a large touchscreen which simply presents each person's prefered smart phone on screen... all features, apps and computing with a user interface that you're already familiar with! What a novel and simple idea... plus it would reduce costs for the mfg! TRD catch up and offer some handling improvements for this poor wandering (literally) soul. It needs better shocks/damping as well. Dealers should be schooled and capable of using shims whe needed for rear toe alignment correction as it appears to be a common issue with the Prius rear axle (new and old).

Great Family car except...
By txpriusvowner

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great overall design and gas mileage for a family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and big enough for family and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Make the rear speakers have a usable volume level for passengers in the back seat.

first hybrid
By kittkatt23

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought this used, <7k in January. it a big improvment over my 08 Mazda 5. The rear room is the same, but the mpg is 2x of Mazda 5! i have hubby, a toddler and 2 mutts. all of us fit just fine. Hubby loves it. it has planty of room for him (6'2") the entune sys is good. i just wish it would remember the settings so that i don't have to press a dozen buttons just to get pandora to play. i avg out 42.4mpg (fuelly) my computer tells me its almost XX, but its alway -3 of what the computer says. not sure why. love the low maintenence vs Jetta's. just tire rotation and oil change. i'll be keeping this one for over 5 yrs for sure!

Favorite Features

love the mpgs. the car entertainment display in nice. trim 3 has all the good stuff but not the extra fluff of the 5trim.

Suggested Improvements

1. the entune system to be less driver driven and more auto. get in the car, sync, start last app (pandora, ihart) i hate getting in the car, and having to press half a dozen bottons to get pandora playing 2. the "soft" interior is a magnet for dog hair. i would love to see leather/plastic option instead. easier to clean 3. have a quick dim option for enterament display. at night, it can be strain on the eyes. pressing a dozen bottons isn't fun. 4. more hp/bigger engine (2.0 vs 1.8) it would be nice to have a better pick and and go when getting on on-ramps and such.

Prius Vs need MODDING!
By vpower

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius V for its roominess and fuel economy. Then I found it lacked a lot in handling. Better than a Prius sedan but lacking. Luckily I found "Juiced Hybrid" in Redwood City, CA and the parts I needed to make it go better and handle. I've installed: 1. an underfloor center brace 2. 17" ENKEI RPF1 wheels and will install: 1. front and rear sway bers 2. strut tower bar 3. front underbody stiffener bar 4. cold air intake system I've installed some electronics mods: 1. Prius V specific LED fog lights 2. LED running lights (in the grille) 3. shark fin antenna (body color matched) 4. LED interior lights 5. hard-wired line for my Garmin GPS

Favorite Features

Good mileage! backup camera touch screen info center cool styling

Suggested Improvements

Better base steering wheel rim material SCRATCHPROOF plastic panels!!! (GOD!) 17" wheels on ALL models MORE POWER (better electric motor) BETTER STEERING RESPONSE & FEEL STIFFER BODY

6 months and still loving it
By run4jc58

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Understand - I am a 56 year old man with a wife of 25 years and 2 grown kids. I am not 'green'...not wasteful, but not 'green.' I don't haul kids, but I do haul 'stuff' sometimes! I've yet to need to haul anything (Home Depot, etc.) that this Prius wouldn't haul. I traded a beautiful, fully loaded 2012 Tacoma - 4 door, 4WD, TRD Sport Edition (17 MPG) - on this Prius. Why? Fuel economy, and I love gadgets. This car is my "fun to drive gadget." Yes, I called it "fun to drive." Why? Because I enjoy trying to squeeze the most fuel economy out of that I can, and I'm getting a 'real' 42 mpg - calculated manually (trip computer says 44-46 usually.) And it's a Toyota - amazing quality.

Favorite Features

Ability to swallow large amounts of cargo. 42 MPG mixed highway and city. Comfortable for my 6'4" 230 pound frame. Plenty of room for passengers, yet small and easy to park. Quiet for such small car, and has a decent ride. My wife has a Camry Hybrid that has much more pep, but this little Prius V actually has MORE usable room than the Camry and gets an extra 4-6 MPG over the Camry Hybrid. I love the displays, too.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that it had the full information array that comes on the Prius and Prius C without Navigation. I love gadgets - include all of the information that hyper milers love to have!

It's a Prius, It's What You Expect
By hendolvik

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a Volvo XC60 in November 2012 to haul my kids and giant dog, but after 4 months of getting 15 mpg, I traded it in for a new Prius V. Instead of getting lousy gas mileage, I now get good gas mileage, but not as good as I expected. After 8 months, I average 33 mpg. Hubby says I book it off the line too quickly. I say it's the extra 125 pounds of dog that I'm transporting that he isn't. Either way, it's twice as fuel efficient as both my previous minivan and Volvo XC60, so it's a win. I won't lie: I miss the luxury of the Volvo. The seats were more comfortable, the doors were more solid. The Prius V doesn't feel cheap, but it's certainly not luxurious. At least it has built-in nav.

Favorite Features

Built-in navigation; lots of cup holders; dual heated seats; backup camera

Suggested Improvements

Remote trunk release; power driver seat;

Practical Prius V
By luv4myg35

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this wagon for the cargo space, gas mileage, and it's a Toyota which holds its value well. The interior cargo space is about the same as a small SUV but with much better gas mileage. I am averaging 38-42, and that's driving at the speed limit. Plenty of head and leg room (I'm 5'9). Voice command can be slow at times, hatch door is heavy to close, a lot of little extras missing for such an expensive car such as (sun visor extensions, rear a/c, remote use for hatch door, only one power adapter plug in the front). Aside from it's several flaws, I still love it! Great alternative to the small gas guzzling SUVs! However, if you are looking for a fun and fast car, this is not it.

Favorite Features

Reclining rear seats. Navigation. Back up camera. Sliding seats when folded for more cargo space. Additional assisted breaking option. Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

A remote for the heavy hatch door would be nice. More refined interior styling. Breaks could be less spongy. Added power outlet in the front. A little bit more power during acceleration. Better standard sound system.

Don't Pity Me
By aom1

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am one of the few, I imagine, that went from a German built VW Golf (not TDI) to a Prius V. Why on earth would someone do that? I wanted to get out of the lease game, and purchase. VW has great driving cars and great lease deals, but I wanted to eventually not have car payments. That said, I am thrilled with the Prius V. Don't be influenced by reviews that say it has no power. Plenty of power especially in power mode. I only use power mode in heavy traffic and I have to make a quick maneuver. I had to use the sport mode on the Golf for that anyway. This car is very comfortable, great lumbar support in the driver's seat. Gobs of cargo room and the ride is firm but not jerky at all

Favorite Features

Interior storage space, Comfortable driver's seat with power lumbar and elevated SUV like driving position. Excellent visibility. Plenty of cargo space. Sliding rear seat. Keyless ignition. Entune/Nav works well for me. Of course, the gas mileage. With 3000 miles I am averaging 43.5 with very normal driving, 70-75 on freeway. Got across California Grapevine effortlessly. Even at trim 3 the stereo system sounds very good. Ride feels solid, steady and not jerky. Tight turning circle for maneuverability. 0% interest for 60 months.

Suggested Improvements

No car is perfect. Arm rests could be an inch higher for taller people. Engine noise when pushed is quite loud! Wind noise is constant on freeway, but not worse than Rav4 (which my wife drives). Steering is rather light weighted. Hybrid system takes a little getting used to. If you are making a very quick left turn from a stop light, better have the Power button pressed to get a fast acceleration. No lumbar support in passenger seat.