2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:
6 months and still loving it
By run4jc58 on 03/29/14 06:53 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Understand - I am a 56 year old man with a wife of 25 years and 2 grown kids. I am not 'green'...not wasteful, but not 'green.' I don't haul kids, but I do haul 'stuff' sometimes! I've yet to need to haul anything (Home Depot, etc.) that this Prius wouldn't haul. I traded a beautiful, fully loaded 2012 Tacoma - 4 door, 4WD, TRD Sport Edition (17 MPG) - on this Prius. Why? Fuel economy, and I love gadgets. This car is my "fun to drive gadget." Yes, I called it "fun to drive." Why? Because I enjoy trying to squeeze the most fuel economy out of that I can, and I'm getting a 'real' 42 mpg - calculated manually (trip computer says 44-46 usually.) And it's a Toyota - amazing quality.

It's a Prius, It's What You Expect
By hendolvik on 12/01/13 21:18 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a Volvo XC60 in November 2012 to haul my kids and giant dog, but after 4 months of getting 15 mpg, I traded it in for a new Prius V. Instead of getting lousy gas mileage, I now get good gas mileage, but not as good as I expected. After 8 months, I average 33 mpg. Hubby says I book it off the line too quickly. I say it's the extra 125 pounds of dog that I'm transporting that he isn't. Either way, it's twice as fuel efficient as both my previous minivan and Volvo XC60, so it's a win. I won't lie: I miss the luxury of the Volvo. The seats were more comfortable, the doors were more solid. The Prius V doesn't feel cheap, but it's certainly not luxurious. At least it has built-in nav.

Practical Prius V
By luv4myg35 on 11/20/13 00:12 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this wagon for the cargo space, gas mileage, and it's a Toyota which holds its value well. The interior cargo space is about the same as a small SUV but with much better gas mileage. I am averaging 38-42, and that's driving at the speed limit. Plenty of head and leg room (I'm 5'9). Voice command can be slow at times, hatch door is heavy to close, a lot of little extras missing for such an expensive car such as (sun visor extensions, rear a/c, remote use for hatch door, only one power adapter plug in the front). Aside from it's several flaws, I still love it! Great alternative to the small gas guzzling SUVs! However, if you are looking for a fun and fast car, this is not it.

Don't Pity Me
By aom1 on 08/04/13 17:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am one of the few, I imagine, that went from a German built VW Golf (not TDI) to a Prius V. Why on earth would someone do that? I wanted to get out of the lease game, and purchase. VW has great driving cars and great lease deals, but I wanted to eventually not have car payments. That said, I am thrilled with the Prius V. Don't be influenced by reviews that say it has no power. Plenty of power especially in power mode. I only use power mode in heavy traffic and I have to make a quick maneuver. I had to use the sport mode on the Golf for that anyway. This car is very comfortable, great lumbar support in the driver's seat. Gobs of cargo room and the ride is firm but not jerky at all

Our Third One
By twoofthem on 06/19/13 08:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our first Toyota was a 2nd gen. Prius. Got that one after an 03 Civic Hybrid that we gave to one of the kids. Then purchased a 2010 Prius 5 and gave 2nd gen to other kid. Now have 2013 V5 with ATP to go along with the 10. The 10 is superior to the 2nd gen, the 13 is superior to the 10. Mileage is running 44-47/mpg on eco. This is calculated, not by the gauge (which on the 13 has been very accurate). The ride is smooth, the steering is American but quite tolerable, after all it's a wagon. The radar assist on cruise is a useful feature. Space, including leg and headroom, is terrific. I am still amazed at the seamless transition between gas and electric motors. Adequate power. A remarkable car!

Boring reliable economic transportation and little else
By stardude82 on 04/21/13 05:28 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Could have been a better car. Driving Controls are ok. I don't even mind the central gauge cluster, but it looks looks horrible. The infotainment system is slow. The nav in my 10 year old BMW was faster at imputing destinations and finding routes. It has a resistive touchscreen which is also horrible. The Prius power train is not very refined carrying around the extra weight. A boat-like feeling at any speed and numb numb numb, but above 60 mph, the car has an unsettling unstable feeling. Brakes are overly grippy at low speeds and mushy at high. Besides my gripes, it is excellently packaged. It carries what I need it to carry and gets north of 40 mpg in mixed driving.

Prius V lives up to expectations
By bc158 on 04/09/13 12:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 2500 miles, MPG is averaging 43+. Car is roomy, surprisingly comfortable and even has enough power to not be a problem. When the power button is pressed between 35 and 65 the performance is surprisingly good. So far no issues at all just pleasant motoring - even from a person who prefers the European/German type ride and handling.

Best Vehicle I Have Ever Owned
By giantsfan58 on 02/18/13 15:59 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a 2nd Gen. Prius for 6 years, I foolishly traded it in for a 2012 Kia Optima EX. After 11 months I came to my senses and traded that in for a 2013 Prius v. The v drives great, is comfortable and can haul a lot of cargo. I can't speak for the other models, but the 5 has everything I would ever want. They say MPG is 44 City and 40 Hwy, but I average 45-47 MPG per tank. You need to drive it a bit differently than a traditional gas engine car, but once you learn the technique it is easy to outpace their estimates. The sound system is fantastic and the bluetooth is crystal clear. The moon roof is a great feature. This vehicle has it all.

Prius V three - 2013
By rzca on 01/13/13 07:30 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our Chevy just used too much gas so we traded for a Prius V. Since we already own a hybrid we were not surprised or troubled by some of the things people mention here regarding acceleration, etc. We have found the fit and finish of the car to be excellent - the materials are what we would expect in a vehicle that was designed to maximize fuel economy. Everything works beautifully from the Nav to the radio - it is simple, intuitive and well designed. I am 6 feet tall and have no trouble being comfortable in the driver's, front passenger's or rear passenger's seats (which recline!). The cargo space is truly amazing - we love this car and recommend it highly!

when in doubt, buy a toyota
By joe540ci on 11/20/12 12:02 PM (PST)

Love it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Prius v Wagon in NJ is:

$241 per month*