2013 Toyota Prius v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:
11 month Owner Review
By myron9 on 08/02/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius V poses the following suggestion by Toyota: Reliability being the cardinal feature, you are going to have to make significant compromises, but still pay the big bucks for some kind of a vinyl interior and a paper thin shell, because it is a Toyota and the general consensus is a Prius will still get you there the vast majority of the time without hiccups and do so without the mandatory toll on the pocketbook from exorbitant gas prices. The vehicle gets a poor safety rating from the IIHS, so regardless of whatever merits the Prius V may or may not possess, you might still get there, but without legs or head intact.

Awesome economical utility wagon
By strangefingers on 05/24/14 19:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So Prius v wagon or Jetta diesel wagon... though generally I much prefer Germanic driving dynamics, dollars and sense said same mileage with regular gas vs high cost of diesel fuel and likely lower maintenance costs. Thus the Prius. Handling was below par and crosswinds/truck buffeting was downright scary at times. Without going crazy, for less than $800 complete, a Cusco rear sway bar, Tanabe front and rear springs (10% +/- stiffer and less than an inch lower) with 7mm wheel spacers in front and 5 mm in the rear and the little golf cart that couldn't became the go cart that could! Stable at all speeds, cruising "sweet spot" on secondary roads and highway rose 10 mph comfortably. Awesome!

Great Family car except...
By txpriusvowner on 05/24/14 17:25 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great overall design and gas mileage for a family vehicle.

first hybrid
By kittkatt23 on 05/07/14 07:10 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought this used, <7k in January. it a big improvment over my 08 Mazda 5. The rear room is the same, but the mpg is 2x of Mazda 5! i have hubby, a toddler and 2 mutts. all of us fit just fine. Hubby loves it. it has planty of room for him (6'2") the entune sys is good. i just wish it would remember the settings so that i don't have to press a dozen buttons just to get pandora to play. i avg out 42.4mpg (fuelly) my computer tells me its almost XX, but its alway -3 of what the computer says. not sure why. love the low maintenence vs Jetta's. just tire rotation and oil change. i'll be keeping this one for over 5 yrs for sure!

Prius Vs need MODDING!
By vpower on 04/25/14 14:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius V for its roominess and fuel economy. Then I found it lacked a lot in handling. Better than a Prius sedan but lacking. Luckily I found "Juiced Hybrid" in Redwood City, CA and the parts I needed to make it go better and handle. I've installed: 1. an underfloor center brace 2. 17" ENKEI RPF1 wheels and will install: 1. front and rear sway bers 2. strut tower bar 3. front underbody stiffener bar 4. cold air intake system I've installed some electronics mods: 1. Prius V specific LED fog lights 2. LED running lights (in the grille) 3. shark fin antenna (body color matched) 4. LED interior lights 5. hard-wired line for my Garmin GPS

6 months and still loving it
By run4jc58 on 03/29/14 06:53 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Understand - I am a 56 year old man with a wife of 25 years and 2 grown kids. I am not 'green'...not wasteful, but not 'green.' I don't haul kids, but I do haul 'stuff' sometimes! I've yet to need to haul anything (Home Depot, etc.) that this Prius wouldn't haul. I traded a beautiful, fully loaded 2012 Tacoma - 4 door, 4WD, TRD Sport Edition (17 MPG) - on this Prius. Why? Fuel economy, and I love gadgets. This car is my "fun to drive gadget." Yes, I called it "fun to drive." Why? Because I enjoy trying to squeeze the most fuel economy out of that I can, and I'm getting a 'real' 42 mpg - calculated manually (trip computer says 44-46 usually.) And it's a Toyota - amazing quality.

It's a Prius, It's What You Expect
By hendolvik on 12/01/13 21:18 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a Volvo XC60 in November 2012 to haul my kids and giant dog, but after 4 months of getting 15 mpg, I traded it in for a new Prius V. Instead of getting lousy gas mileage, I now get good gas mileage, but not as good as I expected. After 8 months, I average 33 mpg. Hubby says I book it off the line too quickly. I say it's the extra 125 pounds of dog that I'm transporting that he isn't. Either way, it's twice as fuel efficient as both my previous minivan and Volvo XC60, so it's a win. I won't lie: I miss the luxury of the Volvo. The seats were more comfortable, the doors were more solid. The Prius V doesn't feel cheap, but it's certainly not luxurious. At least it has built-in nav.

Practical Prius V
By luv4myg35 on 11/20/13 00:12 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this wagon for the cargo space, gas mileage, and it's a Toyota which holds its value well. The interior cargo space is about the same as a small SUV but with much better gas mileage. I am averaging 38-42, and that's driving at the speed limit. Plenty of head and leg room (I'm 5'9). Voice command can be slow at times, hatch door is heavy to close, a lot of little extras missing for such an expensive car such as (sun visor extensions, rear a/c, remote use for hatch door, only one power adapter plug in the front). Aside from it's several flaws, I still love it! Great alternative to the small gas guzzling SUVs! However, if you are looking for a fun and fast car, this is not it.

Don't Pity Me
By aom1 on 08/04/13 17:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am one of the few, I imagine, that went from a German built VW Golf (not TDI) to a Prius V. Why on earth would someone do that? I wanted to get out of the lease game, and purchase. VW has great driving cars and great lease deals, but I wanted to eventually not have car payments. That said, I am thrilled with the Prius V. Don't be influenced by reviews that say it has no power. Plenty of power especially in power mode. I only use power mode in heavy traffic and I have to make a quick maneuver. I had to use the sport mode on the Golf for that anyway. This car is very comfortable, great lumbar support in the driver's seat. Gobs of cargo room and the ride is firm but not jerky at all

Our Third One
By twoofthem on 06/19/13 08:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our first Toyota was a 2nd gen. Prius. Got that one after an 03 Civic Hybrid that we gave to one of the kids. Then purchased a 2010 Prius 5 and gave 2nd gen to other kid. Now have 2013 V5 with ATP to go along with the 10. The 10 is superior to the 2nd gen, the 13 is superior to the 10. Mileage is running 44-47/mpg on eco. This is calculated, not by the gauge (which on the 13 has been very accurate). The ride is smooth, the steering is American but quite tolerable, after all it's a wagon. The radar assist on cruise is a useful feature. Space, including leg and headroom, is terrific. I am still amazed at the seamless transition between gas and electric motors. Adequate power. A remarkable car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Prius v in VA is:

$154 per month*