2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
When we went looking for a car that got both high real MPG and had good utility, we had few choices. It was either a sacrifice of MPG or cargo space. The Prius V's only competition is the C-Max, but in the real world the V gets better mileage and has a lot more cargo room.
Although the Prius V is not a standout car, its the one that met all our needs, and left us pleasantly surprised.
We got the Model 5 with the 17" wheels. It handles much better than any Prius I ever drove before. I think the trade-off is a big turning radius and expensive tires. However, the big tires do not seem to hurt mpg.
The engine is noisy when pressed, but still manages even on long highway hills.
- Cargo room of a small SUV
- Great mpg for the size (beats EPA) on the highway)
- Entune, Nav, and BT tech work great
- Very comfortable seats
- fold down front and rear seats (like the Honda Fit)
- Good handling, comparable to a good non-hybrid car
- Instruments are easy to use
- Very roomy for passengers for the class
- Nav / audio screen washes out too easily
- Needs dual climate control
- Shorter turning radius and 16" tires on model 5
- Option of sunroof without paying $5500 for a tech package
- Power driver's seat