Prius v exceeds my expectations
By jbuhl on
2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Based on the pre release reviews I was hesitant about buying a Prius v. It interested me because I was looking for a fuel efficient car that my husband and I could use for road trips in retirement. I needed to be able to fit two road bikes, preferably without disassembly, two suitcases, and a cooler. The dealer wisely let me keep the car over a weekend while I was making up my mind. All the above fit beautifully. The dog may have to stay at the kennel, though, if we take the bikes. I have been driving the car since Oct. 29 and find myself happier with it every day that I drive it. I am getting 41.8 mpg mixed driving. I am not a hyper miler and drive to blend with traffic.
Favorite Features
I have a Prius v level 5. My favorite features are the mirrors that dim headlights at night, the myriad of seat adjustments, and the way the back seats adjust forwards and backwards. By the way, I am not sure who tests these cars for reviews and what they have been smoking, but for the average driver this car is great. Maybe if one is used to high end cars, there may be some disappointments but not for most of us. I've been driving a Prius generation 2 since 2003 so hybrids are not a new experience.
Suggested Improvements
The back seats should fold flat. If I were in the middle seat in the back, I would hope the trip is short. Hooks in the back to hold plastic grocery bags would be nice. No big disappointments yet. You really need a passenger to do all the technical maneuvering available with the Entune. If no passenger, I wouldn't want to be following me.
By jbuhl
on 12/08/11 14:47 PM (PST)

After almost 2,000 miles, I still haven't found anything bad to say about the performance of the car. Merging into traffic on the freeway is not a problem, nor is passing other cars. Now that temperatures have dropped below freezing, mpg has dropped to an average of about 38.5 versus 39 - 40 mpg in winter with my 2004 Prius. Next test will be driving in snow and on ice.