Great hybrid
By tobdog on
2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
First time hybrid owner. Traded a v6 turbo Audi so of course a bit slower but expected. Fun to drive with hybrid feature and great electronics. Kids love the computer display and system. Couple of drawbacks include lack of leather as an option on the v five. Interior is a bit "plastic". Other concern is we are only averaging about 31 mpg after first 60 miles. Hope it improves.
Favorite Features
Dash computer/electronics, hybrid features.
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage no yet as expected. Not getting close to the advertised 44 mpg. Also, interior seems cheap for a $30K auto, would like at least a leather option.
By tobdog1
on 01/02/12 08:19 AM (PST)

Also Interesting. I too traded a 2.7T Allroad for this car; my first hybrid. I am averaging about 33 - 35 MPG with about 450 miles. Mostly city driving and can't seem to come close to the advertised 44 MPG. Got about 41 MPG on the highway. Very happy to be out from under the Audi repair bills--far too many problems. This is a great car but wish the interior had a little less plastic.

By mchalmers
on 01/10/12 13:53 PM (PST)

As a follow up we are now averaging 40mpg when its not very cold out (Boston area). A relative of mine has the reg Prius and stated I should expect 5 MPG more in warm weather. Since the Prius V is a bit heavier, I predict 42-44MPG.

By mchalmers
on 12/27/11 11:34 AM (PST)

Interesting. I traded a 2.7T A6 for this car a few weeks ago. I am averaging 36 MPG with 550 miles so far. We are also in cold weather so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't miss Audi issues either. Kids and wife love this car. Matthew

By paul_85260
on 01/11/12 11:50 AM (PST)

I have the normal Prius, and have noted that when the temp outside was over 100 (I live in AZ), I got better gas mileage (over 50), when it cooled down to the 50s, the mileage went down to the high 40s. I can surmise that the heating demand is likely the cause to keep the engine running more.

By roandbob
on 01/05/12 03:40 AM (PST)

I bought the Prius v 5 with the advanced tech package. Love the package. Would have loved leather seats also. Agree about the mileage though. When my husband drives it to work, strictly highway driving, we average 38 miles. I drove it this week, mostly city driving, and averaged 34. Of course frigid air has moved into northern new York this week. We've had the car for 1.5 months and never averaged close to 44 mph. The best we've seen is 38.