Good, not great; I can live with it for next 5 years
By lucky57 on
2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Traded a 2006 Prius after 150,000mi. The V , level 3 drives like any Prius. Already gone 8,000 miles. Gets you there but not exciting. Handling safe but uninspired. A 21st century minivan/wagon. Quieter and much more comfortable than my old one. Improved driver seat. Surprising hauling capacity and greatly improved rear visibility. MPG is 44 no matter how driven. The extra length make it harder to park in tight spots. It is almost as long as my other car, a Camry. Feels safer than old Prius, airbags everywhere. The extra size makes a great difference in long drive comfort. Some tech issues with nav/entune. Gas prices need to stay high to justify the price and bland driving experience.
Favorite Features
Hauling capacity, mileage, rear visibility, expected reliability, low maintenance costs and resale value, (despite this review), as I now see the V everywhere I go. Driver seat adjustability and overall comfort much better, partly due to added width. Easier on my back for long trips than the 2006. Rear seat access and comfort greatly improved over '06. Styling is pleasant change from the standard Prius. Eco friendly , much of the utility of an SUV, but still economical and not huge--I used to have a Lexus RX SUV, and surprisingly the rear cargo floor mat and windshield sunscreen from the RX fit perfectly in the V, so several dimensions are similar. V does have lower rear hatch area height.
Suggested Improvements
Nav and entune hard to use-many prompts compared to my '06 Prius nav. Had assumed newer would be better, but no. Pls. apply Lexus tech to Toyota and stop bundling helpful options into highest priced V. For example, smaller 6" screen is fuzzy, washes out in sunlight and can't read with sunglasses unless you upgrade option package to get high def 7" screen (which I did on my 2012 Camry). Screen too low-hard to refer to it and mirrors. Delayed rear camera view after shifting to "R" frustrating. Interior materials chosen to be lightweight, comfy but seem cheap. Hard plastics scuff easily. With rear seats folded, cabin has booming sound. Also occurs when rear windows are open. Brakes are grabby.
By snowlion
on 10/01/12 09:43 AM (PDT)

My wife and I are interested in the 2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT). What is the best price quoted by dealers or even bought around Bay Area, CA. Your input will be greatly appreciated, which will help us decided to start our negotiations.