Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Five Wagon Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Unimagined benefit
By Teamous L Newberne

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Interior size is deceiving, much larger than one would think. much larger than cars with trucks.

Great car, mileage is decreasing
By Angela Strandberg

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

UPDATE: Now that I've hit 85,000 miles on the car, the gas mileage is decreasing. I used to average 42 miles per gallon, now I'm average 36 miles per gallon. I'm driving the same distance, the same roads.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: In the last 6 months I've had my car in the dealership three times. Once to have a grill placed over the intake/out take pipe to keep mice out of the car. Twice because the engine stopped working and the battery was low. The first time it a lot to fix it (it was an easy fix, so had car back the same day.) Now it's back in the dealership for the same problem. Not happy at all about this issue. Definitely NOT buying a Toyota again.

Good Value and Reliability
By Roger B.

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Updated review at 50,000 miles: The car has been trouble-free.
At the 50,000 mile dealer service I had to install front brake pads and turn the rotors.
At 38,000 miles new tires were installed, Goodyear Eagles, LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). After installation of the tires the mpg dropped, but as they got cut in the miles-per-gallon came back to normal.
In the summer, with no high speed runs, there have been a few tanks of fuel over 50 mpg (with the right conditions). Short local trips however will produce high 30s to low 40s mpg readings. I have an average lifetime for the vehicle of just over 47mpg (measured by math on each fill, not the car's meter). I do have a frequent city trip around 30 miles in distance which really lets the hybrid system show it's economy.
The technology is good, bluetooth works well and the Toyota Entune system includes Pandora, Aha Radio, Stocks, Weather and Sports scores. In addition I can also stream Spotify or play from a USB drive. The navigation is the first one I've had, so all I can say is that it works ok, but it's now almost 5 years old. So i did encounter one intersection which had been rebuilt: it did not coordinate with the stored navigation map.
The overall drive experience is pleasant and quiet when cruising along or under light to moderate acceleration. There is engine noise on hard acceleration.
The cargo room is extraordinary, there are fold flat front seats too. The seats are very comfortable, I have the Five with the artificial "leather." They are very comfortable on long trips.
I still am intrigued with this car, it's unlike anything I have ever owned and I mean that in a good way.

Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seat’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations.

I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Cabin space

Electronic seat adjustments; Better radio reception; Reduce wind noise; Increase engine to match weight

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012.
After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg.
In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free.

I love the gas mileage and comfort.
I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! I've been amazed how little head/legroom so-called "LARGE and LUXURY" Sedans and SUVs have.......this one has more than most of them! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies (I've hauled 8-10 ft lumber totally inside, by resting the front of the boards on the dashboard), or sleep back there when camping if I choose.

It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned.

I would definitely buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in.

March 2016 Update.......I'm up to 42,000 miles without ANY problems whatsoever. Extremely reliable, still great gas mileage. Looking forward to checking out the new generation Prius Prime plug-in when it hits dealers later this year.