Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Three Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Fun ride
By Jao

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. My first one was a 2006 Prius. My current Prius is 2012 prius V with more features and navi. currently I have 78,000 miles it has not given me any problems so far. I have drive it cross country from NY to CA and back. At one time I commuted 100 miles each way from LA to Bastow ca on I15 in the winter baring from 55 degrees to 28 degrees in the same day x7 weeks. This car handles well in snow but no ice if you know how to handle the car, it is low clearance so parking on a snow bank and trying to get out would take longer. ( living in the east coast you take whatever spot you can) I absolutely love the V it has a lot more trunk room and over head space and wider seats for more comfort. I have gone to home depo and fit 20 bags of mulch and soil with the back seat folded down. It's a great ride with a average of 40.6 miles for the way I drive( mostly high ways to work/ and local roads in NYC) and it's a great long distance car as well. But after driving it for so long on harder conditions i do have to warm up the engine in cold weather and it will shake the engine for 10 seconds before it goes to normal. I have driven it in snow and slush, off road on desert road in Josha tree NP and rainbow basin in Barstow ca. The car handles well just slowly btw 12-35 mph Pro: good cargo room, easy drive, good gas mileage, reliable car Con: I don't know if it's common but when I connect the entune system with the iPhone the navi sometimes freezes and the screen stop working until I reset. The buttons for the power , EV, are too close to the cup holder things can spill on it and hard to clean. It's the same engine for a Prius and a Prius V and there is no tow power.

EXCELLENT Fuel Mileage
By gregff

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 55 miles one way to work. 5 days a week. I bought the car Oct 19th 2013 and as of 3/15/13 have over 15000 miles. Most of the driving is up and down hills, none are big but all are long grades. About 10 miles is flat. I am averaging 40-41MPG. Ride is excellent road noise is not a problem. Only Complaint I have is the Rear speakers do not have any volume. Dealer has looked at it and says ALL Prius V have the same issue, no fix.

Im 6'5" tall and the ride is comfortable. Have to do a little Grab and Slide to get in and out, but nothing I can't live with. I drive with the ECO button in all the time, rarely us the power button. Calculating on paper not the on board computer I am getting and HONEST 40-41. I did make one trip to East Texas down I-30 and got 46 MPG. Love sitting in Traffic now with the engine OFF. Not using that liquid gold. Takes some getting use to the engine starting and stopping on its own. I have a 2003 Toy Tundra with over 300,000 and The Other car guys will have a VERY HARD time ever getting me back.

The Drink holder in the console needs to be just a little larger in diameter so an insert could be put in. "STUFF", such as condinsation off drink glasses gets into the bottom and at times it is hard to remove. Need a fix the Rear Speakers so they have some volume. The GPS is a little outdated as far as navigation goes. I still use an old Garman in town. The Toyotya GPS is fine for open highway driving. But it will test you in city driving. Overall I will buy another when I wear this one out, if I can!

Love this... wagon/suv/car... kind of a mix
By katd529

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this auto, it handles well, its well designed inside and out. The only thing I don't like are the cloth seats which are being replaced with leather. (This was part of the package we hagled over.) The dealership was wonderful! At any giving time 4 or 5 people would ask if we needed any thing or did we have any questions even after we were working with a sales rep. (Ask for Brian in the sales department at the Round Rock,Tx dealership), this young man has been very attentive to any question we had and if he didn't know the answer he found out. Even on a Sunday when the dealership was closed he returned a text message to answer my question. This was after the sale was done.

I love the mapping system which shows where you are driving. You can see streets that you are coming up to, if you need to turn around safely. (It shows your vehicle moving on the map.) The stereo sound is also very good. I also like that it shows you the out side temp. and in side temp.

The cloth seats are a bummer. I will be getting leather seats in few days, sooo glad I won't be stuck with the cloth.

better than expected
By zig5

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

4400 miles since purchased in july-plenty of room for hauling all kinds of junk-50 mpg over all!! would of been happy with the 44mpg estimate but this was a pleasent surprise-driven in the snowshoe resort area of wv-highway driving to oak island nc and around the island so far

like driving a computer-all the hands free stuff-the mileage of course is great

the interior materials could be upgraded-carpet and headliner seem cheap

MPG much better than ratings
By djlerkl

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a 3 month old "V" as a used car with 2300 miles on it. Since then we've put 4000 miles on (75% highway, 2-3 people in car). I checked my odometer (ca. 0.5% off) and have been tracking actual fuel purchases throughout. After doing the math, computer is a bit off: shows 50.3 mpg and actual is about 48.9. That's with constant a/c use and in a fairly hilly area (upstate NY). In a flatter area, mpg goes up 5-10%. I'm not a hyper-miler -- just easy on the gas and brake. Acceleration is okay -- a lot better than the older Honda Accord (200K miles) it replaced. Visibility for shorter drivers much better than expected. Low road noise. Very satisfied so far.

Bluetooth is great for phone. Voice-control is nice for navigation. (And kids find it amusing to search for weird stores.) Lots of cargo room -- you'd never guess it from looking at the car, but once you start loading, it's impressive. Driver's seat position quite comfortable. Not sure why some professional reviewers complained. Very nice reclining rear seat with LOTS of legroom -- compare the numbers to other vehicles, even large SUVs. It's not as good as a stretch mini-van, but better than many others. iPod/iPhone integration: mostly nice, but annoying when it automatically starts playing audio as soon as you plug it in. Easy engine brake mode for long downhills.

Power driver's seat. Slightly softer ride (you feel the bumps, like a sports car suspension, although you won't think you're in a sports car otherwise!) Cup holders that actually fit the one-liter water bottles many people use these days. These cup holders are made for thinner travel mugs, soda cans and bottles, etc. Navigation screen should show current speed limit (like most GPS units that you purchase separately). Don't lock up navigation controls when in motion -- link it to passenger sensor that determines air bag deployment so that passenger can use GPS while driving.