Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seatÂ’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations. I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Favorite Features

Cabin space

Suggested Improvements

Electronic seat adjustments; Better radio reception; Reduce wind noise; Increase engine to match weight

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012. After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg. In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free. I love the gas mileage and comfort. I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies, or sleep back there when camping if I choose. It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned. I would buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in

Favorite Features

Mpg Interior Space - very roomy Great Pickup - easily gets into traffic on the freeway Styling - Streamlined

Suggested Improvements

Offer a Plug-in version Side-view cameras (similar to the one offered on the Honda Odessey)

something not right with this car.
By lchow

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

my car stop showing the EV icon the one with the car icon with the EV inside and the mpg fall down to 35 .anyone have similar problem?

Favorite Features

recline 2nd row and adjustable 2nd row seat for cargo space

Suggested Improvements

i wish it had moon roof not panoramic roof.

EXCELLENT Fuel Mileage
By gregff

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 55 miles one way to work. 5 days a week. I bought the car Oct 19th 2013 and as of 3/15/13 have over 15000 miles. Most of the driving is up and down hills, none are big but all are long grades. About 10 miles is flat. I am averaging 40-41MPG. Ride is excellent road noise is not a problem. Only Complaint I have is the Rear speakers do not have any volume. Dealer has looked at it and says ALL Prius V have the same issue, no fix.

Favorite Features

Im 6'5" tall and the ride is comfortable. Have to do a little Grab and Slide to get in and out, but nothing I can't live with. I drive with the ECO button in all the time, rarely us the power button. Calculating on paper not the on board computer I am getting and HONEST 40-41. I did make one trip to East Texas down I-30 and got 46 MPG. Love sitting in Traffic now with the engine OFF. Not using that liquid gold. Takes some getting use to the engine starting and stopping on its own. I have a 2003 Toy Tundra with over 300,000 and The Other car guys will have a VERY HARD time ever getting me back.

Suggested Improvements

The Drink holder in the console needs to be just a little larger in diameter so an insert could be put in. "STUFF", such as condinsation off drink glasses gets into the bottom and at times it is hard to remove. Need a fix the Rear Speakers so they have some volume. The GPS is a little outdated as far as navigation goes. I still use an old Garman in town. The Toyotya GPS is fine for open highway driving. But it will test you in city driving. Overall I will buy another when I wear this one out, if I can!

Rear End Noise
By rhagedorn

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall I am satisified with the car. My gas mileage, having driven 10,320, is 44.2mpg which is GREAT. The rear storage is more than adequate for a small car. Handles and ride just fine. Our BIGGEST problem we are having, with no fix available at this time, is an increasing high pitch noice coming from rear. The noise has been increasing in loudness and duration as we add mileage. It now is occurring at times when applying breaks. It is more noticeable when it is damp, but has at times made it when dry. I have had it back to dealer 3 times and this last time was informed Toyato is aware but does not have a fix. So if you are considering proceed with cation! Frustrating for sure!