Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Great wagon excellent economy
By Carroll moore

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have used it for several long trips and the capacity of the luggage area is ample for 5 large bags and4 adults have ample room to relax and travel quite comfortable for an 8 hour trip. Average mpg on 2 trips of 3000 miles each with 4 adults and baggage was 43 mpg.highly recommend this vehicle if you want a comfortable and economical family hauler.

Unimagined benefit
By Teamous L Newberne

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Interior size is deceiving, much larger than one would think. much larger than cars with trucks.

Great car, mileage is decreasing
By Angela Strandberg

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

UPDATE: Now that I've hit 85,000 miles on the car, the gas mileage is decreasing. I used to average 42 miles per gallon, now I'm average 36 miles per gallon. I'm driving the same distance, the same roads.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: In the last 6 months I've had my car in the dealership three times. Once to have a grill placed over the intake/out take pipe to keep mice out of the car. Twice because the engine stopped working and the battery was low. The first time it a lot to fix it (it was an easy fix, so had car back the same day.) Now it's back in the dealership for the same problem. Not happy at all about this issue. Definitely NOT buying a Toyota again.

Good Value and Reliability
By Roger B.

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Updated review at 50,000 miles: The car has been trouble-free.
At the 50,000 mile dealer service I had to install front brake pads and turn the rotors.
At 38,000 miles new tires were installed, Goodyear Eagles, LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). After installation of the tires the mpg dropped, but as they got cut in the miles-per-gallon came back to normal.
In the summer, with no high speed runs, there have been a few tanks of fuel over 50 mpg (with the right conditions). Short local trips however will produce high 30s to low 40s mpg readings. I have an average lifetime for the vehicle of just over 47mpg (measured by math on each fill, not the car's meter). I do have a frequent city trip around 30 miles in distance which really lets the hybrid system show it's economy.
The technology is good, bluetooth works well and the Toyota Entune system includes Pandora, Aha Radio, Stocks, Weather and Sports scores. In addition I can also stream Spotify or play from a USB drive. The navigation is the first one I've had, so all I can say is that it works ok, but it's now almost 5 years old. So i did encounter one intersection which had been rebuilt: it did not coordinate with the stored navigation map.
The overall drive experience is pleasant and quiet when cruising along or under light to moderate acceleration. There is engine noise on hard acceleration.
The cargo room is extraordinary, there are fold flat front seats too. The seats are very comfortable, I have the Five with the artificial "leather." They are very comfortable on long trips.
I still am intrigued with this car, it's unlike anything I have ever owned and I mean that in a good way.

Fun ride
By Jao

2012 Toyota Prius v Wagon Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. My first one was a 2006 Prius. My current Prius is 2012 prius V with more features and navi. currently I have 78,000 miles it has not given me any problems so far. I have drive it cross country from NY to CA and back. At one time I commuted 100 miles each way from LA to Bastow ca on I15 in the winter baring from 55 degrees to 28 degrees in the same day x7 weeks. This car handles well in snow but no ice if you know how to handle the car, it is low clearance so parking on a snow bank and trying to get out would take longer. ( living in the east coast you take whatever spot you can) I absolutely love the V it has a lot more trunk room and over head space and wider seats for more comfort. I have gone to home depo and fit 20 bags of mulch and soil with the back seat folded down. It's a great ride with a average of 40.6 miles for the way I drive( mostly high ways to work/ and local roads in NYC) and it's a great long distance car as well. But after driving it for so long on harder conditions i do have to warm up the engine in cold weather and it will shake the engine for 10 seconds before it goes to normal. I have driven it in snow and slush, off road on desert road in Josha tree NP and rainbow basin in Barstow ca. The car handles well just slowly btw 12-35 mph
Pro: good cargo room, easy drive, good gas mileage, reliable car
Con: I don't know if it's common but when I connect the entune system with the iPhone the navi sometimes freezes and the screen stop working until I reset. The buttons for the power , EV, are too close to the cup holder things can spill on it and hard to clean. It's the same engine for a Prius and a Prius V and there is no tow power.