2012 Toyota Prius v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:
Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson on 07/05/14 10:18 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seat’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations. I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc on 03/28/14 22:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012. After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg. In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free. I love the gas mileage and comfort. I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies, or sleep back there when camping if I choose. It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned. I would buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in

something not right with this car.
By lchow on 09/09/13 23:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

my car stop showing the EV icon the one with the car icon with the EV inside and the mpg fall down to 35 .anyone have similar problem?

Rear End Noise
By rhagedorn on 03/13/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall I am satisified with the car. My gas mileage, having driven 10,320, is 44.2mpg which is GREAT. The rear storage is more than adequate for a small car. Handles and ride just fine. Our BIGGEST problem we are having, with no fix available at this time, is an increasing high pitch noice coming from rear. The noise has been increasing in loudness and duration as we add mileage. It now is occurring at times when applying breaks. It is more noticeable when it is damp, but has at times made it when dry. I have had it back to dealer 3 times and this last time was informed Toyato is aware but does not have a fix. So if you are considering proceed with cation! Frustrating for sure!

2012 Prius V - GREAT vehicle - GPS terrible
By rickity1 on 02/18/13 20:33 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2012 Prius V is an outstanding vehicle ... lots of cargo space, 50 mpg [CAN gal] [5.2 l/100km] .. great audio system, heated seats - seriously, a GREAT vehicle. So - why would Toyota put such a lame GPS system into such a great vehicle? Seriously - why? I have a $150 Garmin GPS that is twice as good and that I will use over the Prius GPS every time. The interface is awkward; the software usually does not "speak" street names and when it does it mispronounces them; it frequently is unable to find locations or POIs that are there but it cannot discover in its data listings .... Toyota - PLEASE reconsider [replace] the GPS system in this wonderful vehicle. And PLEASE replace mine!

Hurricane Sandy brought us together!! I love my Prius V5
By lbtrofeo on 02/14/13 07:31 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a previous owner of a Prius. Sadly, it was a victim of Hurricane Sandy as it succumbed to the flood waters of the might Hudson River. Left with no choice and a bus pass, I went back to my dealership and was set on getting the same Prius model. To my surprise, the Prius V5 was not that much bigger in length but even more surprised on how much room it had inside. It was significant, especially the trunk space. I love that it's a true hybrid in every way. Part car, part mini SUV, part wagon, and part mini van. I just love how it drives and of course the mileage.

The most versatile high MPG hybrid
By jcihak on 11/26/12 10:08 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When we went looking for a car that got both high real MPG and had good utility, we had few choices. It was either a sacrifice of MPG or cargo space. The Prius V's only competition is the C-Max, but in the real world the V gets better mileage and has a lot more cargo room. . Although the Prius V is not a standout car, its the one that met all our needs, and left us pleasantly surprised. . We got the Model 5 with the 17" wheels. It handles much better than any Prius I ever drove before. I think the trade-off is a big turning radius and expensive tires. However, the big tires do not seem to hurt mpg. . The engine is noisy when pressed, but still manages even on long highway hills.

A Few Suggestions
By peterpjb1 on 11/10/12 18:16 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded a 2008 Buick Enclave for my 2012 Toyota Prius. Overall, I agree with the other reviews with one HUGE caution. On the turnpike the road noise is deafening... So much so that having a conversation or listening to the radio, CD, I Pod etc results is a challenge. The Buick was whisper quiet and my Prius V is similar to driving a tin can. Other than the above the car is perfection but the cabin noise is irritating. I sincerely don't know if purchasing a loaded Prius to gain excellent fuel economy was worth giving up the creature comforts of peace and quiet.

Trip To The Grand Canyon From San Anotnio
By yaakov653 on 10/05/12 07:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius V Five in April. My son and I drove to the Grand Canyon from San Antonio this summer, in one week we added 2,500 miles to the car odometer. Highway speed limit at places are 85MPH and driving in the park 20MPH. I averaged 42.5 MPG on this trip. By the way I had no trouble driving at 85MPH on IH10 or IH20 in West Texas. The car handled very well and kept up with all the other traffic on the highway.

A great alternative to compact SUV
By umichioe on 09/27/12 12:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a Prius v Five and it is a great car. We have 2 kids and their stuff to carry. It has the size of a SUV (like CR-V) but the fuel economy beats any SUV by a wide margin. We got 40 mpg in mostly city without any hypermiling. My wife do a lot of city driving, so hybrid is great. I tested both the regular Prius and v. The v is more comfortable to drive too. It is very quiet and has good ride. But you need to expect it to be slow and there will be some adjustment on driving style. In city, the power is fine as the electric motor has power instantly. But you really need to step a lot of gas to merge to busy highway and pass others.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius v in VA is:

$124 per month*