Used 2012 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius v - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius v

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

Great car, for the first 3 years.
By Angela Strandberg

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the last 6 months I've had my car in the dealership three times. Once to have a grill placed over the intake/out take pipe to keep mice out of the car. Twice because the engine stopped working and the battery was low. The first time it a lot to fix it (it was an easy fix, so had car back the same day.) Now it's back in the dealership for the same problem. Not happy at all about this issue. Definitely NOT buying a Toyota again.

Good Value and Reliability
By Roger B.

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Rare to find a hybrid and hauling wagon with this combo of mpg and carrying capacity and fold-flat front seats too. Capable of great MPG but will depend on your average trip length, speed and driving style. Longer trips will produce high 40's mpg or even crack over 50 mpg with the right conditions. Shorter trips however will produce high 30s to low 40s mpg readings. I have an average just over 47mpg for the last 35,000 miles measured by math on each fill, not the car's meter (car approaching 46,000 miles total now). I bought new tires. They are low rolling resistance Goodyears, for hybrids, but the mpg dropped a bit. Seems to be coming back as they are cut in. Worst mpg was a long, very cold weather, high speed trip which dropped under 40mpg. Generally high speed trips will get 40 mpg at speeds of 55-70 miles per hour. As for the car design, the suspension is not soft (I have the Five with the alloys and low profile tires). It has a space saver spare tire. The Navigation doesn't tell you if your destination is on your right or left. Probably the least liked is the engine noise on hard acceleration, especially when loaded with passengers. Road noise from the rear area is a bit loud on concrete. However the overall drive is pleasant and quiet when cruising along or under light to moderate acceleration. The newly introduced Prius has independent rear suspension. That will be a great improvement, hopefully on this car when it's redesign is released for model year 2018. I still am intrigued with this car, it's unlike anything I have ever owned and I mean that in a good way. it's a keeper for awhile.

Fun ride
By Jao

2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. My first one was a 2006 Prius. My current Prius is 2012 prius V with more features and navi. currently I have 78,000 miles it has not given me any problems so far. I have drive it cross country from NY to CA and back. At one time I commuted 100 miles each way from LA to Bastow ca on I15 in the winter baring from 55 degrees to 28 degrees in the same day x7 weeks. This car handles well in snow but no ice if you know how to handle the car, it is low clearance so parking on a snow bank and trying to get out would take longer. ( living in the east coast you take whatever spot you can) I absolutely love the V it has a lot more trunk room and over head space and wider seats for more comfort. I have gone to home depo and fit 20 bags of mulch and soil with the back seat folded down. It's a great ride with a average of 40.6 miles for the way I drive( mostly high ways to work/ and local roads in NYC) and it's a great long distance car as well. But after driving it for so long on harder conditions i do have to warm up the engine in cold weather and it will shake the engine for 10 seconds before it goes to normal. I have driven it in snow and slush, off road on desert road in Josha tree NP and rainbow basin in Barstow ca. The car handles well just slowly btw 12-35 mph
Pro: good cargo room, easy drive, good gas mileage, reliable car
Con: I don't know if it's common but when I connect the entune system with the iPhone the navi sometimes freezes and the screen stop working until I reset. The buttons for the power , EV, are too close to the cup holder things can spill on it and hard to clean. It's the same engine for a Prius and a Prius V and there is no tow power.

Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seat’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations.

I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Cabin space

Electronic seat adjustments; Better radio reception; Reduce wind noise; Increase engine to match weight

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012.
After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg.
In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free.

I love the gas mileage and comfort.
I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! I've been amazed how little head/legroom so-called "LARGE and LUXURY" Sedans and SUVs have.......this one has more than most of them! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies (I've hauled 8-10 ft lumber totally inside, by resting the front of the boards on the dashboard), or sleep back there when camping if I choose.

It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned.

I would definitely buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in.

March 2016 Update.......I'm up to 42,000 miles without ANY problems whatsoever. Extremely reliable, still great gas mileage. Looking forward to checking out the new generation Prius Prime plug-in when it hits dealers later this year.