2012 Toyota Prius v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:
Prius V inferior to Prius
By edickinson on 07/05/14 10:18 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I continue to be very disappointed in the 2012 Toyota Prius V. I purchased a 2012 Prius V and Prius in October of 2012. I find many issues that make the Prius V an aggravation, dangerous and displeasure especially when compared to the Prius model. These are the reasons: 1. The divers seatÂ’s manual adjustments are terrible and can create dangerous situation to adjust while moving, 2. The engine is not adequate for the weight of the vehicle, 3. The electronics and comfort are inferior to the Prius, 4. Wind noise, 5. Gas mileage is not meet expectations and not as good as Prius, 6. The radio has interference with even local stations. I would not recommend this model and will trade it.

Best Car I've Owned
By robuckc on 03/28/14 22:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2012 Prius V especially for a cross country trip I took in April-May 2012. After 36 days and 9,200 miles of aggressive driving through deserts, mountains and cities, I averaged 40.2 mpg. In the two years I've owned this car, it has been trouble free. I love the gas mileage and comfort. I am 6' 6" tall and have plenty of head room......even in the back seat! It's roomy and versatile.....I can flatten the back seats and carry Home Improvement supplies, or sleep back there when camping if I choose. It's not as much fun to drive as my previous stick shift, but it is definitely the best car I've owned. I would buy another one, especially if they come out with a plug-in

something not right with this car.
By lchow on 09/09/13 23:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

my car stop showing the EV icon the one with the car icon with the EV inside and the mpg fall down to 35 .anyone have similar problem?

EXCELLENT Fuel Mileage
By gregff on 03/15/13 22:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Three 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 55 miles one way to work. 5 days a week. I bought the car Oct 19th 2013 and as of 3/15/13 have over 15000 miles. Most of the driving is up and down hills, none are big but all are long grades. About 10 miles is flat. I am averaging 40-41MPG. Ride is excellent road noise is not a problem. Only Complaint I have is the Rear speakers do not have any volume. Dealer has looked at it and says ALL Prius V have the same issue, no fix.

Rear End Noise
By rhagedorn on 03/13/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall I am satisified with the car. My gas mileage, having driven 10,320, is 44.2mpg which is GREAT. The rear storage is more than adequate for a small car. Handles and ride just fine. Our BIGGEST problem we are having, with no fix available at this time, is an increasing high pitch noice coming from rear. The noise has been increasing in loudness and duration as we add mileage. It now is occurring at times when applying breaks. It is more noticeable when it is damp, but has at times made it when dry. I have had it back to dealer 3 times and this last time was informed Toyato is aware but does not have a fix. So if you are considering proceed with cation! Frustrating for sure!

2012 Prius V - GREAT vehicle - GPS terrible
By rickity1 on 02/18/13 20:33 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2012 Prius V is an outstanding vehicle ... lots of cargo space, 50 mpg [CAN gal] [5.2 l/100km] .. great audio system, heated seats - seriously, a GREAT vehicle. So - why would Toyota put such a lame GPS system into such a great vehicle? Seriously - why? I have a $150 Garmin GPS that is twice as good and that I will use over the Prius GPS every time. The interface is awkward; the software usually does not "speak" street names and when it does it mispronounces them; it frequently is unable to find locations or POIs that are there but it cannot discover in its data listings .... Toyota - PLEASE reconsider [replace] the GPS system in this wonderful vehicle. And PLEASE replace mine!

Horrible!
By crazycatlady58 on 02/16/13 01:12 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has gotten stuck in 1 inch of snow this winter, and in Wisconsin that is not a good thing! This car rides horribly also, you feel every bump in the road! My family lives about 40 miles away, and I dread going to see them because I know I will be stiff and sore after the ride there! Another complaint I have about this vehicle is that it is difficult to get a convertible car seat to sit properly in the middle of the back seat while in the rear facing position. It would take forever to get the car seat in just the right spot that it wouldn't tip due to the split between the oddly sized seats in the back. And you can't put a car seat on the side because of the side air bags.

Hurricane Sandy brought us together!! I love my Prius V5
By lbtrofeo on 02/14/13 07:31 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a previous owner of a Prius. Sadly, it was a victim of Hurricane Sandy as it succumbed to the flood waters of the might Hudson River. Left with no choice and a bus pass, I went back to my dealership and was set on getting the same Prius model. To my surprise, the Prius V5 was not that much bigger in length but even more surprised on how much room it had inside. It was significant, especially the trunk space. I love that it's a true hybrid in every way. Part car, part mini SUV, part wagon, and part mini van. I just love how it drives and of course the mileage.

Pleasantly Surprised
By garyb7 on 01/08/13 12:46 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Two 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my Prius V in December 2012. I wanted 40 mpg and there are few cars in this class. I considered the Ford C Max, but to get a driver's seat with lumbar support, I had to upgrade to the SEL model, while the Prius 2 package has lumbar support. And C Max has not been getting the mileage as advertised. The V rides well and I've been averaging 40mpg so far during winter driving... (Minnesota). The car is very comfortable and feels very similar to my old Pontiac Vibe. The seats are very comfortable and the interior is much roomier than the Prius liftback, especially in the front. My only complaint is the car is a bit slow. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

The most versatile high MPG hybrid
By jcihak on 11/26/12 10:08 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When we went looking for a car that got both high real MPG and had good utility, we had few choices. It was either a sacrifice of MPG or cargo space. The Prius V's only competition is the C-Max, but in the real world the V gets better mileage and has a lot more cargo room. . Although the Prius V is not a standout car, its the one that met all our needs, and left us pleasantly surprised. . We got the Model 5 with the 17" wheels. It handles much better than any Prius I ever drove before. I think the trade-off is a big turning radius and expensive tires. However, the big tires do not seem to hurt mpg. . The engine is noisy when pressed, but still manages even on long highway hills.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius v in VA is:

$124 per month*