Really like the extended worry free range
By osilloh on
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
As other published reviews have mentioned, you are trading MPH for MPG and I have found this to be accurate. You will get to where you need, but not very fast. I plug-in a few times a week at home and the free mall chargers. I average over 600 miles per tank. I think for me, this averages to about 3 charges per gallon since the gas mpg is about 48 or so and I'm averaging over 80mpg. Filling the tank is about $28 for about 8 gallons. The full 3 hour charge at home is about $1 based on $.33/kwh, so being the cheap guy that I am, I try to avoid plugging in at home :)
Favorite Features
The silent EV mode actually feels more powerful than the gas engine. Bluetooth pairing with multiple phones is great.
Suggested Improvements
There is a EV/HV switch where you can somewhat switch the vehicle into Hybrid or EV mode, I hope a software maintenance update can resolve this. I have found that the EV/HV switch doesn't always force the EV mode so I switch on the A/C to put an additional load on the system. This almost always engages the gas engine and saves my charge. Without turning on the A/C I notice the electric motor is still engaged and drops dramatically on hills. I have found that going uphill it makes sense to force the HV(gas) mode to save the charge for flat ground.