2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Real world experience with the

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Real world experience with the Prius Plug in.
By rckcjc3 on

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 4 mile work commute and often drive 15 miles to Portland on weekends, so my driving is a mix of city and some hwy. Late this summer I averaged 105 MPG across three fill ups. I have seen my milage down to 65 MPG city during the winter with lots of heater and defroster use. On an extended trip accross the state, I averaged 52 MPG hwy - just as advertised. I have two 2012 Prius Plug in's and have spent $1200 less on gasoline during the first year than we did owning two Corollas so the savings is very real. Our electricity bill has only gone up $15 per month charging 2 cars, though some savings is achieved there with our Solar panels. Figure about 25-30 cents to charge at PDX rates.

Favorite Features

Love the great gas milage. A couple of things that Toyota doesn't advertise well: If you drive down a very long grade the regenerative braking may charge both the Prius and the EV batteries - giving you a couple bonus EV miles at the bottom of the grade. Also, with the ECO/EV/power buttons you can dial up or down the point where the gas engine kicks in. In ECO it is easier to stay in EV mode. When you press the power button, you can get the horsepower you need to pass, etc.

Suggested Improvements

It seems a bit harder to see behind you in the Prius than it did in the 2005 corolla. I put extra mirrors on the driver side to better see the blind spot. Also, the stereo system is not very friendly with after market USB cables. I had to experiment before finding just the right cable for my iPod.