Used 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius-plug-in - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius Plug-in model:

Real world experience with the Prius Plug in.
By rckcjc3

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 4 mile work commute and often drive 15 miles to Portland on weekends, so my driving is a mix of city and some hwy. Late this summer I averaged 105 MPG across three fill ups. I have seen my milage down to 65 MPG city during the winter with lots of heater and defroster use. On an extended trip accross the state, I averaged 52 MPG hwy - just as advertised. I have two 2012 Prius Plug in's and have spent $1200 less on gasoline during the first year than we did owning two Corollas so the savings is very real. Our electricity bill has only gone up $15 per month charging 2 cars, though some savings is achieved there with our Solar panels. Figure about 25-30 cents to charge at PDX rates.

Favorite Features

Love the great gas milage. A couple of things that Toyota doesn't advertise well: If you drive down a very long grade the regenerative braking may charge both the Prius and the EV batteries - giving you a couple bonus EV miles at the bottom of the grade. Also, with the ECO/EV/power buttons you can dial up or down the point where the gas engine kicks in. In ECO it is easier to stay in EV mode. When you press the power button, you can get the horsepower you need to pass, etc.

Suggested Improvements

It seems a bit harder to see behind you in the Prius than it did in the 2005 corolla. I put extra mirrors on the driver side to better see the blind spot. Also, the stereo system is not very friendly with after market USB cables. I had to experiment before finding just the right cable for my iPod.

Stick with the base Prius or go with a Leaf or Focus for EV
By wheatonr

At first when I bought this car I was super excited about being able to run in all electric mode. Sadly this mode is a downer. It states you will get up to 15 miles (recently rerated to 11 miles). I don't know of any day that i receive more then 7 miles. If you live in the Northeast you will be lucky to even be able to use the EV mode in the winter months. I switch to a Focus EV which is all EV and although it does have problems with the cold weather it at least still can run in EV mode. With the Prius as soon as you turn on your AC or Heater you switch to the standard hybrid mode.

Favorite Features

It has a great roomy interior. I would suggest going with a standard Prius and save a ton of money.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to have a lot more range to be worth any money. Also needs to be designed to handle working in the cold. If you are in the Northeast you are lucky to be able to get the EV mode to run.

For that price could be much better.
By dimapol

Bought it in 2012 and passed 12K already. 1. This car does save gas, especially, if you work provides you electricity. 2. The GPS interface and disabling most of the features while in motion pisses of, even passenger couldn't do anything. 3. Absence of the spare tire is a big minus, the "repair kit" is useless: unreliable and very expensive. I ended up buying a full size spare for the same price! 4. Firmware algorithm allows your engine run while warming up in electrical mode w/out it being connected to transmission or charging the battery - fuel waste. Summary - if you do not need a carpool sticker at CA then buy yourself something more driver friendly, or wait another 5 years.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

1. Drive train firmware. 2. Spare tire - find a room for it. 3. Allow to activate full in motion when passenger present. 4. Tire Repair Kit should not cost $148! 5. Find better materials for interior. 6. Increase the screen size.

Cruising on Electricity
By fyoung55

With a super low lease price and electricity in our area under $.10 a kwh, this was a no-brainer! We live and work within 5 miles of just about everything we need, so the 12 mile range on all electric is perfect! We have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old in a car seat, and they both fit fine in the back, even behind me at 6'2" Lots of space in the hatchback, and lots of nice features included in the base model. Have driven nearly 1,000 miles and the lifetime average is 55mpg (all electric miles included bumps up the mpg a bit).

Favorite Features

dedicated EV mode, back up camera, heated seats, awesome mpg, built in navigation. Fun bar graphs!

Suggested Improvements

The gas engine supplies heat to the interior of the car. We live in upstate NY and that means 4 - 6 months of the year we use heat in the car. We can wear coats and not use the cabin heat, but unfortunately, we still need to run the defroster to see through the front window. That means the gas engine runs, even in "EV mode." The back up beeper is driving me crazy! I have heard that I can get the dealer to change that. I'll be looking into that on my first oil change.

Love my PIP
By hybridguy

My PIP is fun drive and gets amazing mileage. At this point I am averaging 90+ mpg. Turns out the 11-14 mile EV range works for me since most of my trips are less than 10 miles. I usually manage most round trips with a little (>1mile) of EV range left. Good value with current incentives!