2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Plug-in model:
Real world experience with the Prius Plug in.
By rckcjc3 on 11/04/13 11:57 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 4 mile work commute and often drive 15 miles to Portland on weekends, so my driving is a mix of city and some hwy. Late this summer I averaged 105 MPG across three fill ups. I have seen my milage down to 65 MPG city during the winter with lots of heater and defroster use. On an extended trip accross the state, I averaged 52 MPG hwy - just as advertised. I have two 2012 Prius Plug in's and have spent $1200 less on gasoline during the first year than we did owning two Corollas so the savings is very real. Our electricity bill has only gone up $15 per month charging 2 cars, though some savings is achieved there with our Solar panels. Figure about 25-30 cents to charge at PDX rates.

This car is a utility
By mingomatic on 10/29/13 11:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car for many reasons. It just makes logical sense. It's reliable, it doesn't depreciate that much, it's safe, and no one steals this car because hybrids and electric car parts are in low demand and hard to interchange with other cars. In terms of electric features, I don't use it nearly as much as I should because I don't have a charger at home and as much as SoCal supports electric vehicles, I still don't have many use cases where I'm charging in public. I've owned a BMW in the past and I have to say, it's nowhere near as luxurious, but at the same time, I don't have to worry about it breaking down or having a costly repair.

Stick with the base Prius or go with a Leaf or Focus for EV
By wheatonr on 10/27/13 21:15 PM (PDT)

At first when I bought this car I was super excited about being able to run in all electric mode. Sadly this mode is a downer. It states you will get up to 15 miles (recently rerated to 11 miles). I don't know of any day that i receive more then 7 miles. If you live in the Northeast you will be lucky to even be able to use the EV mode in the winter months. I switch to a Focus EV which is all EV and although it does have problems with the cold weather it at least still can run in EV mode. With the Prius as soon as you turn on your AC or Heater you switch to the standard hybrid mode.

For that price could be much better.
By dimapol on 06/11/13 16:11 PM (PDT)

Bought it in 2012 and passed 12K already. 1. This car does save gas, especially, if you work provides you electricity. 2. The GPS interface and disabling most of the features while in motion pisses of, even passenger couldn't do anything. 3. Absence of the spare tire is a big minus, the "repair kit" is useless: unreliable and very expensive. I ended up buying a full size spare for the same price! 4. Firmware algorithm allows your engine run while warming up in electrical mode w/out it being connected to transmission or charging the battery - fuel waste. Summary - if you do not need a carpool sticker at CA then buy yourself something more driver friendly, or wait another 5 years.

Cruising on Electricity
By fyoung55 on 11/28/12 15:08 PM (PST)

With a super low lease price and electricity in our area under $.10 a kwh, this was a no-brainer! We live and work within 5 miles of just about everything we need, so the 12 mile range on all electric is perfect! We have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old in a car seat, and they both fit fine in the back, even behind me at 6'2" Lots of space in the hatchback, and lots of nice features included in the base model. Have driven nearly 1,000 miles and the lifetime average is 55mpg (all electric miles included bumps up the mpg a bit).

Love my PIP
By hybridguy on 10/23/12 16:44 PM (PDT)

My PIP is fun drive and gets amazing mileage. At this point I am averaging 90+ mpg. Turns out the 11-14 mile EV range works for me since most of my trips are less than 10 miles. I usually manage most round trips with a little (>1mile) of EV range left. Good value with current incentives!

Love My Plug In Prius
By montyt on 10/18/12 06:41 AM (PDT)

I've had my Plug In Prius since April '12. I now have about 6000 miles and average 123 mpg in combined driving (including a trip to Canada of 1000 miles when I could not plug in at all). My commute to work is ideal - 11 miles and I can plug in at work, so on many days I use little or no gas.

Really like the extended worry free range
By osilloh on 10/10/12 00:44 AM (PDT)

As other published reviews have mentioned, you are trading MPH for MPG and I have found this to be accurate. You will get to where you need, but not very fast. I plug-in a few times a week at home and the free mall chargers. I average over 600 miles per tank. I think for me, this averages to about 3 charges per gallon since the gas mpg is about 48 or so and I'm averaging over 80mpg. Filling the tank is about $28 for about 8 gallons. The full 3 hour charge at home is about $1 based on $.33/kwh, so being the cheap guy that I am, I try to avoid plugging in at home :)

Loving that OCD feeling while driving my new prius plug in
By danousc on 08/26/12 21:00 PM (PDT)

Just leased a 2012 plug in prius and am loving it. So much that i know am becoming obsessed on getting awesome gas mileage. Should state that i bought this car for the california carpool lane after getting a great 3 year lease deal. EV mode is so addicting. This allows you to run on electricity only for 15 miles. I am able to easily charge up in 3 hours at home using a regular 110v plug and then again at work(1.5 hours on a special 240 plug). Yesterday used another plug at a parking lot and unfortunately didnt fully connect it, thus no charge. had to convert to hybrid mode on the way home lowering my MPG. a few cons-no spare tire, its a prius, 5000 mile visits for maintenance. would buy!

Holy crap! 646 miles on a full tank of gas :-)
By tollywood on 08/24/12 18:04 PM (PDT)

... and it takes only 8.3 gallons of regular gas to fill the tank. Moving from a 2004 highlander (I know, not a comparable vehicle), it already saved me 30 gallons of gas in just 15 days of ownership. Leased for $310 a month, it has already paid itself 40% of its monthly payment. Looks sub-compact from outside, but not bad on the space inside. Comfortably sits 4 adults . Feels heavy like an european import (loaded batteries under the trunk). So-so pickup from complete stop, (11 seconds for 0-60 mph), but for $200+/mth savings on the gas, I will take it. Please note: My office is only 9 miles each way and I've religiously charged every night for 15 days.MPG not guaranteed

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback in WA is:

$148 per month*